Eric Atreides

Best Picture Predictions - 2021

Seems like a couple more still to come from Out of Competition. Coolio makes a convincing case the annual big blockbuster will be Top Gun, not Eternals. I've always thought it would make sense to premiere Last Duel here - it is set in France, has big stars for a premiere, and Ridley is going to be focusing on House of Gucci at all the fall festivals. 

• Like 1

With F9 entering Cannes, we can no longer rule out F9 for best picture prize. Vin diesel is one step closer to oscar when he started his oscar campaign since F7 .

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/vin-diesel-predicts-furious-7-will-win-the-oscar-for-best-picture-1201458635/

Vin Diesel: ‘Furious 7’ Will Win Best Picture at the Oscars

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

With F9 entering Cannes, we can no longer rule out F9 for best picture prize. Vin diesel is one step closer to oscar when he started his oscar campaign since F7 .

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/vin-diesel-predicts-furious-7-will-win-the-oscar-for-best-picture-1201458635/

Vin Diesel: ‘Furious 7’ Will Win Best Picture at the Oscars

lol and to think that was also the time a Fast & the Furious movie was ever even close to receiving any Oscar recognition (since "See You Again" was widely expected to get a Best Original Song nomination until it didn't).

Not a fan of the film, but an 85 on metacritic and a moderate boxoffice performance (and Hollywood seems to be drooling over this film) seems good enough to talk about Oscar chances for In the Heights. In terms of major categories, I can only think of Best Picture and Supporting Actress (for Olga Merediz). Ironically, I think it's unlikely to get an original song nom.

• Like 1

Loved In the Heights but honestly I don't think it's going very far with awards, especially now that its "Movie of the Summer" narrative hasn't quite panned out. WB will still give it a nice push with the reviews and the diversity angle but I suspect a SAG Ensemble nomination is the furthest it's going (since the Golden Globes won't be a thing this year).

Don't agree. I think Heights will have a long shelf life on streaming and has alot of passion from the industry. Also, tick tick boom is a fairly mediocre show from a guy directing for the first time on film. 

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Don't agree. I think Heights will have a long shelf life on streaming and has alot of passion from the industry. Also, tick tick boom is a fairly mediocre show from a guy directing for the first time on film. 

I'm a fan of the movie but it is only June and there are already chinks in its armor just days after opening (the low box office numbers sting a lot considering how much they really pushed everyone to actually see this in a theater) so they're gonna have to really work overtime to keep whatever momentum it has alive for another six months and I doubt they'll be able to pull it off with such baggage out the gate.

Tick Tick...Boom! looks like it's going to be an acting play more than anything else. Strong possibility Andrew Garfield ends up pushed to Supporting for The Eyes of Tammy Faye (which already looks to be The Jessica Chastain Is Unrecognizable Show anyway) to strengthen his nomination chances since he's unquestionably front and center in this.

DGA usually doesn't line up with the Best Director category 5-for-5, but this won't help:

The Directors Guild said Tuesday that its board has reinstated a requirement that for feature films to be eligible for DGA Awards’ marquee Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Theatrical Feature Film Award must first have an exclusive seven-day theatrical run before hitting any other platform if they are released after June 15, 2021.

• Like 2

Over the past few weeks, Annette and ITH went from being floated as top contenders to "This Had Oscar Buzz." At least one  or two more musicals this year will probably join that bunch.

Val has probably become a top doc contender after its Cannes premiere, much more than a talking head doc like Sparks Brothers or Roadrunner. Amazon/A24 will push it hard. The Velvet Underground also has strong reviews, but I think Apple is pushing that for TV awards like they did with Beastie Boys Story?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Over the past few weeks, Annette and ITH went from being floated as top contenders to "This Had Oscar Buzz." At least one  or two more musicals this year will probably join that bunch.

Val has probably become a top doc contender after its Cannes premiere, much more than a talking head doc like Sparks Brothers or Roadrunner. Amazon/A24 will push it hard. The Velvet Underground also has strong reviews, but I think Apple is pushing that for TV awards like they did with Beastie Boys Story?

I don't think Annette ever was expected to have Oscar buzz (at least in major categories). Leos Carax is an extremely weird director and like everyone expected he went all out here. If anything, the movie has better reception than most expected. Pretty much only thing that seemed possible was Adam Driver and his chances have probably only increased (espescially if he wins Best Actor at Cannes), although his big play this year is still probably Gucci.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2