Eric Atreides

Best Picture Predictions - 2021

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

We'll be finding out if Stillwater is anything and if After Yang can continue the breakout from Columbus, all within a couple hours!

Some reviews and reactions for After Yang are out already. Sounds amazing. I really need to get around to seeing Columbus first.

Edit: Seems like Stillwater is just fine. Don't see it getting through anywhere with such an early date espescially. Focus Feature's focus this year seems to be Belfast anyways.

Edited by lorddemaxus

So it seems like the most fucked up movie the festival might end up winning the Palme D'Or. Doesn't seem to have an American distributor yet, but assuming that a decent American distributor buys it and France submits it for Oscars, could it get an foreign language feature nom? 

Edit: It could also be Nitram, which would be pretty funny considering that it gave off heavy Joker vibes. Doesn't have an American distributor either.

Edited by lorddemaxus

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So it seems like the most fucked up movie the festival might end up winning the Palme D'Or. Doesn't seem to have an American distributor yet, but assuming that a decent American distributor buys it and France submits it for Oscars, could it get an foreign language feature nom? 

Edit: It could also be Nitram, which would be pretty funny considering that it gave off heavy Joker vibes. Doesn't have an American distributor either.

Titane? It's a NEON release.

• Thanks 1

Nitram did a lot better than I expected. Could be a minor competitor with a good distributor. Surprised no one has bought it yet considering the baity material. Probably will be that a studio like IFC buys the American rights (I think they bought Kurzel's last film) and nothing happens.

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nitram did a lot better than I expected. Could be a minor competitor with a good distributor. Surprised no one has bought it yet considering the baity material. Probably will be that a studio like IFC buys the American rights (I think they bought Kurzel's last film) and nothing happens.

20th Century buys it and gets the hit they wanted from Kurzel with Assassin's Creed.

• Astonished 1

Among other things Last Night in Soho was confirmed for Venice by the TIFF listings - I had heard a couple years ago they wanted to keep it in award season if delayed because they thought it was a real play. 

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nightmare Alley was a pretty strange miss at TIFF and I heard it's also not going to Venice. Del Toro tweeted yesterday he only just finished his "first temporary mix" (anyone know what that even means?) of the film so I guess it won't premiere anywhere?

NYFF is probably a good bet. Soggy Bottom is also rumored to be premiering there.

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nightmare Alley was a pretty strange miss at TIFF and I heard it's also not going to Venice. Del Toro tweeted yesterday he only just finished his "first temporary mix" (anyone know what that even means?) of the film so I guess it won't premiere anywhere?

AFI usually gets one big movie a year (assuming it is happening this time). NYFF is getting Soggy Bottom (the PTA joint) so don't expect that at TIFF or Venice either. FWIW TIFF says it has more to announce. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

AFI usually gets one big movie a year (assuming it is happening this time). NYFF is getting Soggy Bottom (the PTA joint) so don't expect that at TIFF or Venice either. FWIW TIFF says it has more to announce. 

House of Gucci makes sense for AFI as people were saying it wouldn't be ready for TIFF/Venice not that long ago. MGM probably wouldn't want their two big players battling for NYFF buzz either.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

House of Gucci makes sense for AFI as people were saying it wouldn't be ready for TIFF/Venice not that long ago. MGM probably wouldn't want their two big players battling for NYFF buzz either.

Does that mean we get blonde Affleck in Telluride??

• Astonished 1