Jump to content
Eric and the Ten Rings

Best Picture Predictions - 2021

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

David O. Russell’s movie is confirmed for 2022

Where?

 

Edit: Oh here

 

 

Edited by filmlover
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Venice lineup is mildly disappointing but for whatever it is worth it is a better (American) lineup than any Venice prior to 2016. I think it makes sense to hold things back from international fests given uncertainty, which is why I think Telluride and NYFF are gonna be bigger than ever. Also, I just simply think that stuff like Nightmare Alley and House of Gucci and the David Russell aren't ready yet. 

 

Not stunned about Blonde getting rejected but what is the other? It can't be Macbeth, can it?

 

6 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Blonde was rejected.

 

I don’t know if Macbeth was (or even submitted) personally 

It was Macbeth. Another insider had already said a while ago that Macbeth was rejected by a major film fest (but people ignored it because that dude is a massive piece of shit, like Sasha Stone) and now the insider who shared this, Cedric Succivali, is saying it was Venice. The festival programmers just didn't like it supposedly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my doubts about the Macbeth thing. I know the guy is apparently reliable, until this happened, the buzz had been that it was screening and getting absolute raves - we had more positive word on this than any other contender. I just cannot imagine a Coen brother fucking up a Macbeth adaptation starring Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. It's like impossible to fuck up.

 

Power of the Dog is confirmed for Telluride and Toronto now, so it is clearly this year's Marriage Story/Nomadland "we are uber confident and going to hit every festival" contender. I have Cumberbatch behind Smith and Denzel but ahead of Leo, Cooper, and others based on the role.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Snake Eric said:

So with the new TIFF lineup, I know Power of the Dog is supposed to be a possible contender, but is there anything else we're reportedly supposed to keep an eye out for?

the Worst Person in the World, Mothering Sunday, and The Humans I guess. You should especially keep an eye The Worst Person in the World since it has a good chance of being this year's foreign language breakout. Inu-Oh too for the animation category (although Belle is probably a bigger priority for GKids).

Edited by lorddemaxus
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really surprised they aren't sending A Hero to Toronto.

 

The Humans is a great play and several of the acting performances could be real contenders if the movie isn't too small. (Mass is already having the same problem with being so small in such a loaded year).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I have my doubts about the Macbeth thing. I know the guy is apparently reliable, until this happened, the buzz had been that it was screening and getting absolute raves - we had more positive word on this than any other contender. I just cannot imagine a Coen brother fucking up a Macbeth adaptation starring Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. It's like impossible to fuck up.

 

Power of the Dog is confirmed for Telluride and Toronto now, so it is clearly this year's Marriage Story/Nomadland "we are uber confident and going to hit every festival" contender. I have Cumberbatch behind Smith and Denzel but ahead of Leo, Cooper, and others based on the role.

I think it’s just a very specific Shakespeare adaptation that won’t exactly be for everyone, general audiences will hate it for example 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2021 at 11:16 AM, lorddemaxus said:

the Worst Person in the World, Mothering Sunday, and The Humans I guess. You should especially keep an eye The Worst Person in the World since it has a good chance of being this year's foreign language breakout. Inu-Oh too for the animation category (although Belle is probably a bigger priority for GKids).

SPC is really pushing Mothering Sunday for Colman and Firth supporting nominations. Based on its Cannes reception, I don't see more than those two happening, but who knows.

 

On 7/28/2021 at 11:24 AM, Cmasterclay said:

Really surprised they aren't sending A Hero to Toronto.

 

The Humans is a great play and several of the acting performances could be real contenders if the movie isn't too small. (Mass is already having the same problem with being so small in such a loaded year).

I wouldn't be surprised if A24 sent Macbeth to Apple so they can fully focus on The Humans. None of their Cannes titles are likely to be factors in the awards race, and The Green Knight is tech-focused. 

 

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

See you next year, Ana. So now she has two movies coming out in 2022 (the other being Deep Water with Ben Affleck) that were made in 2019.

 

 

This is just going to get dumped at a random point in the year. Andrew Dominik ain't making a crowdpleaser.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

SPC is really pushing Mothering Sunday for Colman and Firth supporting nominations. Based on its Cannes reception, I don't see more than those two happening, but who knows.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if A24 sent Macbeth to Apple so they can fully focus on The Humans. None of their Cannes titles are likely to be factors in the awards race, and The Green Knight is tech-focused. 

 

This is just going to get dumped at a random point in the year. Andrew Dominik ain't making a crowdpleaser.

Cmon Cmon is the #1 A24 contender of the year, not Humans. It’s also going to Telluride. A24’s only Telluride premiere that didn’t hit BP was Uncut Gems

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems more like Netflix itself was concerned with Blonde's quality and cancelled its Venice premiere (I guess it makes sense why the person who talked about Blonde and Macbeth not going to Venice explicitly said Macbeth was rejected but refused to explicitly say that about Blonde).

Quote

The film was supposed to have its world premiere at the upcoming Venice Film Festival, only to then be pulled out of the Venezia lineup by Netflix. Recent rumours have pointed towards the sudden move having to do with Dominik and the streaming giant fighting over final cut.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2021/7/aqk3sp3cyzf6efgkjjgsw66liz36do

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

According to an editor at Goldderby, Amazon is intending to release the new Sorkin film and Clooney film this year.

 

And here I was thinking Ricardos was a Netflix film 😅

 

I think being an Amazon film will help Ricardos if the buzz is there for it. As far as potential awards films, their other stuff is more low-key or limited in where it can go, like AnnetteElectrical Life of Louis Wain, and Val. So Ricardos and all its performances would benefit from being Amazon's main awards push. That said, 2021 is just as competitive (if not more so) as other years...

Edited by SLAM!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated predictions:


Belfast
Cmon Cmon

Dont Look Up

Dune
King Richard

Nightmare Alley

Power of the Dog

Soggy Bottom

West Side Story

 

Either Ridley makes sense for 10th but since neither look particularly great, I think a cool/passion choice like Last Night in Soho slip in.

 

Anticipating Macbeth will be mostly for acting and French Dispatch for techs. 

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Updated predictions:


Belfast
Cmon Cmon

Dont Look Up

Dune
King Richard

Nightmare Alley

Power of the Dog

Soggy Bottom

West Side Story

 

Either Ridley makes sense for 10th but since neither look particularly great, I think a cool/passion choice like The Worst Person in the World or Last Night in Soho slip in.

 

Anticipating Macbeth will be mostly for acting and French Dispatch for techs. 

 

I do think Macbeth has a path to a Best Picture nomination, but I agree that it isn't likely to be a winner. It has great performers (Washington, McDormand, Hawkins) and the filmmaking looks innovative, but... It's basically the Shakespeare play in a new coat of paint. And that's not a bad thing by any means. But there's two drawbacks—being something that loses a factor of newness, and being something that may have a barrier to entry for some voters. I think that'll prevent it from winning at the very least.

Edited by SLAM!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for this year's race, but seems like we might have another O. Russell situation with Inarittu:

 

 

 

Translation:

Quote
The filming of Limbo, the new film by Alejandro González Iñárritu, has finished. Boy, it is exciting that the multi-award-winning filmmaker returns to Mexico to film. But, on the other hand, I have heard so many stories, so horrible, of that production that everything disappoints me very much.
I will never be fought with rigor and demand. But I think there is a fine (and obvious) line between perfection and insanity. Apparently Don G. was always on the wrong side. Will people behave like this abroad? Will they treat others like their compatriots?
Anyway ... we'll see what surprises us with who, despite everything, is a great director. And boy does Limbo sound like a very ambitious project in which the Mexican talent (of him and his team) will shine as always; and that, in addition, generated a lot of work when it was most needed ...

 

Edited by lorddemaxus
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I remember reports that there was tons of tension on the set for The Revenant.

 

But really, while this might be a mistranslation, this seems more like a David Fincher "do 70 takes for one scene" kind of deal than it is a David O. Russell "yelling at Lilly Tomlin and being a sex pest"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.