Eric Atreides

Best Picture Predictions - 2021

Belfast, at least on paper, sounds right up Branagh's alley after his last few projects were obviously cursed (the sliced-and-diced-to-death Artemis Fowl, the still-delayed Death on the Nile featuring a number of people who became the center of tabloid-esque headlines after making it). We'll know soon enough if it's going anywhere or if it's another nonstarter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The conventional critic types are raving the hell out of Power of the Dog

Variety and Discussing Film have the only mixed-negative reviews so far; everything else I'm seeing is glowing. I don't think it's going to be in contention for a BP win, but it'll have prominence in other categories. Also, it seems like Kodi Smit-McPhee might be the film's main Supporting Actor contender and not Plemons.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My big bold prediction when I posted mine was Sorrentino sneaking into the fifth spot in Director and Hand of God reactions are amazing

Yeah, I'm thinking this is getting into BP and BD. Both a great film (probably will be his most crowd pleasing) and a great, personal narrative to go with it.

I won't be surprised if both Almodovar and Sorrentino make it into Director. I have both of them in Screenplay rn and would drop Campion for one of them in Director from my last set of predictions (probably Almodovar)

Edited by WrathOfHan

King Richard is really the one to watch today. In a season with no clear favorite, I think people are really underestimating that one as a potential BP winner, and not just a Smith play. Inspiring true story + diversity + big star gaining weight + probably a box office hit + crowd-pleaser in a year that needs one. It checks the most boxes, to me. This post could look dumb in like six hours but for now....I have it and Nightmare Alley as the top two to win BP.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I just don't know why we're hyping a film from the guy who made Joe Bell tbh

Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody ruled at the Oscars not too many years ago; all that basic-ness couldn't have been permanently drummed out of the Academy this quickly.

The Power of the Dog response is wild, such whiplash between it being Cumberbatch's best performance ever or that he's wildly miscast and acted off the screen by Kodi Smit-McPhee. Seems like he'd be the Supporting Actor push rather than Jesse Plemons. Everyone seems to like Dunst though some wish she had more to do.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody ruled at the Oscars not too many years ago; all that basic-ness couldn't have been permanently drummed out of the Academy this quickly.

The Power of the Dog response is wild, such whiplash between it being Cumberbatch's best performance ever or that he's wildly miscast and acted off the screen by Kodi Smit-McPhee. Seems like he'd be the Supporting Actor push rather than Jesse Plemons. Everyone seems to like Dunst though some wish she had more to do.

I'm not seeing that at all. It has some Twitter critiques, but the actual reviews are pretty astounding. I'm not moving off of it.

Could not find the thread but King Richard reactions:

Feinberg liking it is good (his tastes align with Oscar voters). Only question is if WB will be able to campaign more than one film into a BP nomination.'

Edit: Also contains a Beyonce song. I guess this is getting at least one nom then.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1