Box Office Hit

The Black Phone | Universal | June 24, 2022 | Profit of $67.8M

14 hours ago, filmlover said:

Mentioned in another thread that the curiously muted marketing campaign for The Black Phone in recent weeks does seem like an indication that Universal decided to scale back and are aware it's not a great environment to be releasing a child endangerment thriller in. Especially when certain episodes of Stranger Things and Obi-Wan Kenobi the past few weeks have had to add warnings to them.

There's a 30 second trailer right before Jurassic World that just shows the kid going up to the phone and picking it up while touting its 100% Rotten Tomatoes score, revealing nothing about the plot. That kind of overly vague marketing rarely pays off in attracting patrons.

We got that trailer here in the UK so they can show it before films that are rated a 12A. I’ve still been seeing the full trailer before films rated 15 and above. 

I just assumed the quick trailer was so they could show it before Dominion. 

Finished and out of the theater. It was absolutely amazing.

Audiences in my theater loved it when they got out and couldn't stop talking about how great it was.

It is shockingly a very accessible horror film to the general audience with lots of crowdpleasing moments that had my theater cheering and clapping. Finney is so good as a main character and his internal struggle is the emotional heart of the film. Surprisingly there was one major tearjerking moment where I was sobbing like a baby. It's hits hard man.

Not just a scary tension filled horror film, but one with a SOUL.

9/10 aka an A on the Stuckmann scale

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, Gopher said:

Have now seen this with two different audiences and think it'll be the rare horror movie with legs. People loved the emotion in this. Hoping it can exceed Candyman's OW.

I cried so hard with that last phone call. My jaw was quivering.

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:22 PM, Krissykins said:

Ah, unfortunately I thought this was absolutely scare-free. 

It’s well made and I was still entertained, but the trailer really did show the whole film. There was no real tension for me whatsoever. 

It only has 3 jumpscares and some bloody bodies

On 6/22/2022 at 11:22 PM, Krissykins said:

Ah, unfortunately I thought this was absolutely scare-free. 

It’s well made and I was still entertained, but the trailer really did show the whole film. There was no real tension for me whatsoever. 

Just got back and completely agree, I feel like the trailers showed far too much of this. It’s well made and the acting from the kids was great, especially the sister in THAT scene, but it felt like it was missing something from the climax to really make it pop, I can’t really put my finger on it. It’s almost like the last act is too quick and easy. 

Loved Ethan Hawke being creepy/nasty though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Just got back and completely agree, I feel like the trailers showed far too much of this. It’s well made and the acting from the kids was great, especially the sister in THAT scene, but it felt like it was missing something from the climax to really make it pop, I can’t really put my finger on it. It’s almost like the last act is too quick and easy. 

Loved Ethan Hawke being creepy/nasty though.

That little sister was a scene stealer, so great. Her swearing was the only part of the film that got any sort of reaction from me or the audience. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That little sister was a scene stealer, so great. Her swearing was the only part of the film that got any sort of reaction from me or the audience. 

Spoiler

When she flew in to rescue her brother from the bullies while screaming obscenities I felt like cheering! 

While I’ve got the spoiler box up, I did think that James Ransone’s brother character was completely pointless, you could chop him out of the film entirely and it’d not have any effect on the story at all, if anything it’d probably improve it as it’d remove the silliness of his brother not knowing that he’s the killer when he just sits in the kitchen all night with a mask on and holding a belt menacingly. He seemed to exist purely to give us an admittedly gnarly R rated death and that’s it.

I did enjoy the film though, but after months of seeing Scott Derrickson/C Robert Cargill’s friends blowing the film up on Twitter as if it was some genre defining horror movie, I couldn’t help feeling slightly let down by it just being a good film.