Box Office Hit

The Black Phone | Universal | June 24, 2022 | Profit of $67.8M

2 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Didn't really work for me. It was competently put together but surprisingly not in the slightest bit scary. I was completely at ease the entire time, which is a bit damning when you consider the subject matter.

Same, I’m glad I’m not the only one lol. A few people on here now have the same feeling as me. 

Well made, entertaining, but absolutely no tension, thrills or scares. 

I think this movie's brilliant. I went in knowing it wouldn't be traditional horror with jumpscares and blood and whatnot, and I definitely wasn't disappointed with what I saw. This film will probably end up as one of my favorite movies of the year.

Just saw this with my female friend. We loved it. I didn’t see the trailer and only vaguely saw the tv spots, she saw neither. We were very satisfied. She gave it a 10.

Edited by eddyxx

https://deadline.com/2023/04/most-profitable-movies-2022-highest-return-1235324425/

Great reviews (83% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and very good exits (near 90% on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak) always spell great box office when it comes to a Blumhouse release. Following Doctor Strange and his departure from that sequel, Scott Derrickson’s return to his horror origins with producer Jason Blum and leading man Ethan Hawke in this 1978-set R-rated horror tale about a masked, creepy guy in the neighborhood who’s snatching up and imprisoning kids in his basement (until they die). One young boy becomes “The Grabber’s” undoing. The movie opened in mid-June, in the wake of Top Gun: Maverick and on the same weekend as the older-skewing Baz Luhrmann biopic Elvis. Audiences answered the call to Black Phone with a $23.6 million domestic box office opening, and a 3.8x leg-out factor to more than $90M stateside in a summer filled with several delayed tentpoles from the pandemic. Global TV and streaming revenues of $100M include what Peacock pays Universal internally for the film, plus a shared Pay One window run on Amazon Prime. As is standard with Blumhouse titles, they’re made low so that everyone reaps profits in the end, with participations here for cast and Derrickson at $35M.