Eric Duncan

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

I thought this was pretty good, and I was ready to hate on this after the absolute joke that GOT8 was.  I'm back on the Game of Thrones train, hopefully it doesn't shit the bed in later episodes, making me eat those words.

I've always been a sucker for high production values in my medieval fantasy and period pieces and oh boy... the sets, costume designs, and cinematography in HOTD are exquisite.  Pretty confident in saying HOTD is going to being running laps around ROP visually.

Compare how this show looks visually to all those D+ shows, lmao.  They look like high school plays next to this.

• Like 1

Oh, look. We already have the Game of Thrones trifecta: Terrible dark lighting, violence against women, and gratuitous sex.

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

I won’t lie. I am still one of those better fans. And quite frankly, they can all talk a big game, but there is zero reason for me to get invested in this, or be willing to commit to multiple  seasons of it for it only to end with the women once again getting screwed.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

This was really good. Almost made me forget gots8. As good as the early seasons of GOT. Loved the back and forth between the birth and the knights tournament. You can see the budget on the screen.  Really good start!

Really enjoyed it. A lot of very good scenes and sequences, and it does a good job of establishing all the characters in an effective way. It pulls some smart early moves to bring that same enormously varied GoT audience back to Westeros, tricking people like my parents and grandmother into watching a fantasy show yet again.

Edited by Lucas

Promising start. Took me about 20 minutes or so to get over how aggressively it seemed to be straining to scream “‘member Game of Thrones?!” though. I love Ramin Djawadi’s music but he’d have been better off giving HotD its own identity rather than going back to the main GoT theme so quickly. By all means sprinkle in a few themes occasionally, but the opening of this was laying it on a bit thick. That said, once it got to the duel/birth I was fully back on board, that was really well done and shocking. Paddy Considine and Matt Smith were great, and as one of the seemingly few who didn’t hate season 8, it was nice to be back in that world.

Edited by SnokesLegs

The very definition of a solid pilot. The cast were uniformly great, and overall it's an intriguing enough re-introduction to Westeros. The tone feels much more grounded and intrigue-led than the latter GOT seasons, but I hope they don't forget to add in a hint of the world building that made GOT so exciting. I'm happy that they're focusing in on a tighter group of characters, but a hint of the wider world would be nice to see. 

Anyway, colour me pleasantly surprised by this one. 

Just popping in to say I surprisingly loved the first episode, wasn't expecting too much from it. 

Also Milly is great, didn't know she was a part of this and she looks very different with the Targaryen Blonde locks.To be fair I wasn't really paying a bunch of attention to the marketing for the show. 

Looking forward to the second episode!

• Like 1

I wasn't sure what to expect from this (especially as someone among those who were rubbed the wrong way by the final season of GOT) but I thought the first episode was really good! I really like that they're establishing this is going to have its own identity while still remaining true to the overall tone of the iconic series. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Excellent. Should be interesting to see how it holds over the coming weeks.

I guess this puts to bed the idea that the finale of GoT killed interest in the franchise.

It's a strong opening weekend, but I think it's a mistake to have the show playing in primetime on Sunday nights when NFL season starts on September 11th. HBO is targeting the same audience that will prefer to watch NFL on NBC in that time slot. Seems like House of the Dragon would be able to maximize its TV ratings potential if they started the season in early June for a 10 week run into mid-August. 70% of the Dragon season will be directly competing with NFL for viewers on Sunday nights.