Eric Atreides

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's a strong opening weekend, but I think it's a mistake to have the show playing in primetime on Sunday nights when NFL season starts on September 11th. HBO is targeting the same audience that will prefer to watch NFL on NBC in that time slot. Seems like House of the Dragon would be able to maximize its TV ratings potential if they started the season in early June for a 10 week run into mid-August. 70% of the Dragon season will be directly competing with NFL for viewers on Sunday nights. 

True, but in a world where you can stream it anytime, actual schedules are becoming almost irrelevant. I’d bet the majority of the viewers for this are through HBO Max. People who want to watch the NFL first will just watch HotD afterwards.

On 8/22/2022 at 12:24 AM, Cap said:

Oh, look. We already have the Game of Thrones trifecta: Terrible dark lighting, violence against women, and gratuitous sex.

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

I won’t lie. I am still one of those better fans. And quite frankly, they can all talk a big game, but there is zero reason for me to get invested in this, or be willing to commit to multiple  seasons of it for it only to end with the women once again getting screwed.

This episode had peoples arms being cut off for crime, people being killed during combat games and a character visiting a brothel.

pretty typical adult medeival fantasy stuff...

This pilot was drastically tone down compared to the First episode of GOT which had incest and a kid being almost murdered lol 

Personally I think this show will likely be quite tone down compared to game of thrones in those elements I feel. 

Likely cause Dumb and Dumber are not making this show. 

Edited by Torontofan

6 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

True, but in a world where you can stream it anytime, actual schedules are becoming almost irrelevant. I’d bet the majority of the viewers for this are through HBO Max. People who want to watch the NFL first will just watch HotD afterwards.

They reported the numbers very early on Monday, which suggests the vast majority of people were watching it live at 8 PM Central. Sunday Night Football runs until 10:30 Central and 11:30 Eastern. I don’t think people will be watching Thrones after the football games at such a late hour. Only Mountain Time & West Coast people will be doing that very easily. 

I looked at the old Thrones schedule. It typically aired from April to July. Never in September and beyond. If the Sunday Dragon numbers tank when we get into football season, they might want to put the show on a different day. Wednesday seems like a pretty safe spot. Wednesday dodges both NFL & college football on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. Release the viewership numbers on Monday morning. 

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

They reported the numbers very early on Monday, which suggests the vast majority of people were watching it live at 8 PM Central. Sunday Night Football runs until 10:30 Central and 11:30 Eastern. I don’t think people will be watching Thrones after the football games at such a late hour. Only Mountain Time & West Coast people will be doing that very easily. 

I looked at the old Thrones schedule. It typically aired from April to July. Never in September and beyond. If the Sunday Dragon numbers tank when we get into football season, they might want to put the show on a different day. Wednesday seems like a pretty safe spot. Wednesday dodges both NFL & college football on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. Release the viewership numbers on Monday morning. 

It was never really a problem for a show like the Walking Dead which had over 10m viewers during its heyday. Either way, I don't think HBO cares as long as the audience watch the episodes at some point. The numbers got reported early this week because it was a dead zone and also because it was always going to the biggest debut HBO has ever had.

HBO has pretty much always put their drama shows on Sunday and the occasional Monday. And because they air their episodes multiple times a week, that timeslot doesn't really matter like it does for a broadcast network. They're not changing anytime soon.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

It was never really a problem for a show like the Walking Dead which had over 10m viewers during its heyday. Either way, I don't think HBO cares as long as the audience watch the episodes at some point. The numbers got reported early this week because it was a dead zone and also because it was always going to the biggest debut HBO has ever had.

HBO has pretty much always put their drama shows on Sunday and the occasional Monday. And because they air their episodes multiple times a week, that timeslot doesn't really matter like it does for a broadcast network. They're not changing anytime soon.

Theoretically, Walking Dead had easier access to audiences on AMC compared to HBO. Even if they want to keep the show on Sunday night, HBO might want to change the reporting day. I don't see the numbers holding up very well when we get to September 11th and later. Wait until Wednesday morning to report viewership numbers. I am curious to see how it goes, especially with the Discovery management running things now. You never see them airing Shark Week in the middle of NFL season. 

• ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, Torontofan said:

This episode had peoples arms being cut off for crime, people being killed during combat games and a character visiting a brothel.

pretty typical adult medeival fantasy stuff...

This pilot was drastically tone down compared to the First episode of GOT which had incest and a kid being almost murdered lol 

Personally I think this show will likely be quite tone down compared to game of thrones in those elements I feel. 

Likely cause Dumb and Dumber are not making this show. 

I don't know about you folks but sex and women getting screwed just as bad as the men in my gritty medieval fantasy melange is where I draw the line. emot-colbert.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Theoretically, Walking Dead had easier access to audiences on AMC compared to HBO. Even if they want to keep the show on Sunday night, HBO might want to change the reporting day. I don't see the numbers holding up very well when we get to September 11th and later. Wait until Wednesday morning to report viewership numbers. I am curious to see how it goes, especially with the Discovery management running things now. You never see them airing Shark Week in the middle of NFL season. 

These days I imagine the number of people with access to HBO/HBO Max are incredibly comparable to AMC subscribers in 2014/2015.

The numbers are going to be fine. More than fine if the premiere is anything to go by, it's an absolute smash for HBO. And future airings won't be specifically reported like it was with the premiere either, because it was well...a premiere, they're trying to boast how great their show started. The future episodes will probably left to Nielsen and however HBO decides to see fit with reporting streaming numbers, something they're not obligated to do at all. It's totally possible we get no total cumulative numbers for any given episode until the finale. And beyond that, the rest of the world doesn't give a damn about the NFL either where the show is going to be a monster as well.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1