The Wild Eric

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Oh one more thing about the ending that can explain Rhaenys actions when i think more about it:

Reveal hidden contents

Seeing it this way - and i do think this is how the showrunners see this scene - it does make sense.

I have to correct myself, thinking more about it:

Spoiler

If Rhaenys intended to make a show of force in order to prevent a war, killing hundreds of people and screaming with a dragon in the faces of the Greens is ... is really not the best way. Also, where did she get the armour??

Yeah okay, unless someone points something out i missed, this end scene IS dumb. Not dumb enough to ruin the episode for me of course, but probably the dumbest moment of the season so far.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

It's just the last minute hype scene. Nothing to read into it character-wise. 

But if that was the intention, then its worthy of criticism imo. Because unlike that other huge fantasy show, House of the Dragon has been a shining example of good writing and dialogue so far. Having a scene that seems like it jumped right off Season 7 of GoT doesnt work for me.

Edited by Brainbug

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I just checked and interestingly, the writers of this episode and the director havent worked on prior episodes and it shows a bit. I do hope for the last episode the writers of the first 8 episodes return.

The director was Claire Kilner, who directed episodes 4&5. And the writer, Sara Hess, also worked on episode 6.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

The director was Claire Kilner, who directed episodes 4&5. And the writer, Sara Hess, also worked on episode 6.

Youre right i think i must have misread the names. Dumb on my part.

Thanks for the correction.

Rhaenys YOU HAD ONE JOB. The episode was so good and I'm not one to usually fixate on plot details and "logic", but that last scene was all kinds of stupid.

And in hindsight I dislike the misunderstanding that ended last episode because I think without it, every little choice of action or inaction Alicent makes in the episode would hold even more weight. I'm with Rhaenera and her clan all the way but they 're clearly the "good" guys in the context of the show with a few shades of grey. The Green clan are clearly pieces of shit with a few redeeming qualities. Alicent is kinda in the middle and the one really complex character till now. She should be the last one that have her choices made easier by a tired tv trope.

But the episode was pretty great otherwise, despite my nitpicking I think the show is great. I'm just not in the camp that already calls this equal or better to peak GOT. It's still early though, it could eventually get there.

• Like 2

The end with the Dragon was a little late GOT-esque, but when your show has been very good overall I'm willing to let things like that slide here and there as long as it doesn't become a habit.  Plus, I think the writers wanted a 'badass' moment for 'the Queen who never was' and it was pretty awesome scene on its own which helps unlike Galadriel staring down a flesh melting ash storm.

You could also argue that Rhaenys isn't a real Black and there's no direct evidence that she even dislikes Aegon or Aemond. The only Greens she dislikes are Otto and Alicent and thats only because of the direct crime of taking her hostage.  I could understand that not being enough for her to murder 3 Targaryans and most of the court because of that.

Edited by Ozymandias

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The end with the Dragon was a little late GOT-esque, but when you're show has been very good overall I'm willing to let things like that slide here and there as long as it doesn't become a habit.  Plus, I think the writers wanted a 'badass' moment for 'the Queen who never was' and it was pretty awesome scene on its own which helps unlike Galadriel staring down a flesh melting ash storm.

You could also argue that Rhaenys isn't a real Black and there's no direct evidence that she even dislikes Aegon or Aemond. The only Greens she dislikes are Otto and Alicent and thats only because of the direct crime of taking her hostage.  I could understand that not being enough for her to murder 3 Targaryans and most of the court because of that.

When The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power debuted at the same time as House of the Dragon, much noise was made about which show attracted more eyeballs. According to Nielsen, it was a conclusive victory for Tolkien, with The Rings of Power viewers watching the first two episodes for 1.25bn minutes, compared with House of the Dragon’s 741m.

But over the weeks, something strange has happened. House of the Dragon has sucked up the spotlight. It has attracted tweets, theories, memes, discussions, all on a rolling boil since the first episode. Meanwhile, if The Rings of Power has been seen anywhere, it was only in places paid for by Amazon. There are billboards and adverts and special Amazon packing tape adorned with the show’s logo. But, in terms of spontaneous, organic excitement, it has been a wilderness.

From Guardian, same magazine that praised ROP first episode as so astaunding it made HotD look amateur. HotD bros, we won! :bravo:

8 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Oh one more thing about the ending that can explain Rhaenys actions when i think more about it:

Hide contents

Rhaenys spoke to Alicent about how she should ask herself if she wants to be controlled by Otto and the others or if she could proceed another path. Basically, weve seen throughout the show that Rhaenys doesnt want war, she just wants to protect her family and peace. So actually, her killing the Greens would go against her character and it can be argued that by NOT killing them, she wanted to send a signal to Alicent that War with Dragons isnt an option that would leave them alive and they should make peace with Rhaenyra instead.

Seeing it this way - and i do think this is how the showrunners see this scene - it does make sense.

No. It doesn’t. It is just stupid. The only reason is makes sense is they have three more seasons to film and can’t just end it and free us now. 

I honestly don’t know how you can take anything that happens after this seriously, knowing that they could’ve just ended it and be done.

I think to remember she would not have just killed the king but the entire power structure of westeros.

As said she is not that pro team Black as she assumes the princess got her son killed. 

She more supports team black as she wants to secure a future for her grand kids.

Edited by Torontofan

27 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I think to remember she would not have just killed the king but the entire power structure of westeros.

As said she is not that pro team Black as she assumes the princess got her son killed. 

She more supports team black as she wants to secure a future for her grand kids.

HOW IS THAT A PROBLEM?! She legit like for scenes before basically said burn the whole thing down and stop being a pawn!! Now all that she has done is left her enemies alive to kill her children and grandchildren. 

Yeah I could undertstand all those rationalizations about Rhaenys motives if she just got her dragon and got the fuck out by some other way to alert Rhaenera or whatever. But bursting through the ground, stomping on some peasants and having the entire green leadership in front of her Dragon's mouth helpless only to just flex? It's just a very silly moment. Might look cool on a gif but it's still stupid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What is funny is that if the showrunners/writers made this last scene with the mindset "lets have an awesome Yes Queen girlboss moment for Rhaenys here!", then in-universe this just made her the most despicable character of all the Targaryens. Rhaenys is now way worse than Aegon, because atleast he isnt responsible for mass-killing hundreds (or even thousands) of peasants. Rhaenys is a genocidal maniac now lol.

But 1 dumb moment like this isnt enough to derail the greatness of this season so far and even Episode 9 overall has enough good elements and moments to compensate for this stupid ending. Episode 10 just needs to be good and since Ryan Condal is writing it, its in the best hands possible.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

12 hours ago, Valonqar said:

From Guardian, same magazine that praised ROP first episode as so astaunding it made HotD look amateur. HotD bros, we won! :bravo:

FfUVWbVWYAE-h41?format=png&name=900x900

7 hours ago, Brainbug said:

What is funny is that if the showrunners/writers made this last scene with the mindset "lets have an awesome Yes Queen girlboss moment for Rhaenys here!", then in-universe this just made her the most despicable character of all the Targaryens. Rhaenys is now way worse than Aegon, because atleast he isnt responsible for mass-killing hundreds (or even thousands) of peasants. Rhaenys is a genocidal maniac now lol.

Lol like any Targaryen really gives a shit about the peasants.  If anything, the Greens are mildly annoyed Aegon's coronation was interrupted and might use the incident for war propaganda.  In fact, the only royalty or House in this world thats ever cared about the peasants are Daenerys, the King beyond the wall, and maybe the Starks.  

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Lol like any Targaryen really gives a shit about the peasants.  If anything, the Greens are mildly annoyed Aegon's coronation was interrupted and might use the incident for war propaganda.  In fact, the only royalty or House in this world thats ever cared about the peasants are Daenerys, the King beyond the wall, and maybe the Starks.  

Fair point though i just hope they actually do use it for propaganda and it isnt just ignored by the story going forward. One way i think they could incorporate it in actually a cool way would be to

mild spoiler, beware if you dont know the source material

Spoiler

that this is the starting point for the hatred for the Dragons by the people of Kings Landing, which leads to ... another event, lets phrase it that way.

Edited by Brainbug