filmlover

Golden Globes/HFPA news thread (Breaking News: It Lives!)

33 minutes ago, Maggie said:

the Hurt Locker deserved all the awards love. It's a great movie. Avatar, i still have not finished it ...

I remember the hurt locker treating the SAS like a bunch of idiots in a desert when compared to the US bomb disposal experts. Very hard for anyone with the slightest knowledge of how the SAS work to get their head around that. They were basically just shat on with American propaganda. Atleast Avatar wasn't afraid to show the military like it really is.

Katherine Bigelow deserved an award for ZDT more than she did for Hurt Locker but let's face it, we all know her relationship with James Cameron likely played a role in her win.

Ill give The Hurt locker one thing, it was good at creating tension in scenes where nothing happened but for me a movie is half visual as it is everything else and the craft that went into every frame of Avatar changed the way movies were made and changed global box office. Its hard for me to see any other movie that year more deserving if a best picture or director award 

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Ill give The Hurt locker one thing, it was good at creating tension in scenes where nothing happened

That's exactly why i liked it. It kept me on the edge of my seat. 

About treating the soldiers like idiots...ummm...i didn't think about this aspect. For me, the movie was a well executed piece of film making.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Interest in all awards shows has been in a free-fall for years and years so whatever pre-text there is to end them is a good one. Awards are outdated way of validation that most people dismiss so why broadcast them? Just give them quietly among the industry. 

HFPA had a reputation for being clowns since forever. It's laughable that Hollywood waited this long to turn on them so they shouldn't be applauded for being late half a century or longer. 

Right now, BAFTA (minus that idiotic jury) is the only precursor that shows accuracy when it comes to Oscars. SAG is ruined by AFTRA clowns so their picks are off and Critics Choice are HFPA Lite. 

Just take all awards off TV. Maybe Oscars go streaming but that's it. 

Look at all those Oscar bump , either in streaming platform or box office, Oscar give massive publicity to a lot of small indie films that no other platform can provide.  GG maybe a redundant but not Oscar 

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Award shows are pretty meaningless anyways. The Audience decide what the best movie is with their wallets. If someone tells you the Hurt Locker is a better movie than Avatar, shakespeare in love is better than Saving Private Ryan or The Reader was a better movie than TDK, you'd laugh in their face. 

Award shows are now the hipster shows so its no surprise people are fed up with watching 

Popularity does not equal to excellency. And you are suggesting that Frozen2, ROTS or TLK are the year top 5 best? Don't make me puke. General public only want escapism which is understandable, but art is art. It needs elitism.  

32 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I remember the hurt locker treating the SAS like a bunch of idiots in a desert when compared to the US bomb disposal experts. Very hard for anyone with the slightest knowledge of how the SAS work to get their head around that. They were basically just shat on with American propaganda. Atleast Avatar wasn't afraid to show the military like it really is.

Katherine Bigelow deserved an award for ZDT more than she did for Hurt Locker but let's face it, we all know her relationship with James Cameron likely played a role in her win.

Ill give The Hurt locker one thing, it was good at creating tension in scenes where nothing happened but for me a movie is half visual as it is everything else and the craft that went into every frame of Avatar changed the way movies were made and changed global box office. Its hard for me to see any other movie that year more deserving if a best picture or director award 

I agree about Hurt Locker problems and I wouldn't give it a Picture. However, Bigelow legit did a great job directing and that win was deserved. Director Branch is the least influenced by "narratives" of all AMPAS voters so there's no way they voted because she was Cameron's ex and/or a woman. They vote for competence 95% of the time the debatable one would be Hooper over Fincher but supposedly Fincher really isn't liked among them so...

Edited by Valonqar

The Emmys (the TV equivalent of the Oscars) are probably loving this development more than anyone else because they've always been pushed aside in favor of the Golden Globes as the alternative "Winner/Nominee" marketing billing for actors (due to the Globes covering both TV and movies) despite having much less actual significance to the industry overall so maybe they'll receive more attention now since no one will be using "Golden Globe Winner/Nominee" in the marketing for anything anytime soon.

TV awards have always had the undeserved "lesser" aura and that won't change. One reason is that Emmy's have too many categories so it's all much less prestigious than vying for fewer. The impact of winning Best Actor and Actress for example is immeasurable compared to Actor and Actress in Drama, Comedy, Limited, Variety not to mention smaller categories such as Guest Actor/Actress on top of supporting categories. It's hard to spotlight people when there are so many categories. And yes, movies still remain valued more despite TV/streaming content rivaling or even exceeding the quality. But glamour of the big screen and boxoffice pull I guess. 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Look at all those Oscar bump , either in streaming platform or box office, Oscar give massive publicity to a lot of small indie films that no other platform can provide.  GG maybe a redundant but not Oscar 

Popularity does not equal to excellency. And you are suggesting that Frozen2, ROTS or TLK are the year top 5 best? Don't make me puke. General public only want escapism which is understandable, but art is art. It needs elitism.  

You win

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I agree about Hurt Locker problems and I wouldn't give it a Picture. However, Bigelow legit did a great job directing and that win was deserved. Director Branch is the least influenced by "narratives" of all AMPAS voters so there's no way they voted because she was Cameron's ex and/or a woman. They vote for competence 95% of the time the debatable one would be Hooper over Fincher but supposedly Fincher really isn't liked among them so...

I think KB did a good job too but I felt Avatar broke boundaries that were hard to ignore. I don't mean because she's a woman, I always thought the academy as a whole didn't like Cameron's arrogance which would hinder his support. ZDT for me was a better made movie and more deserving but I guess there was less room in the script to offer that level of suspense. 

Would have probably been a bit controversial having a movie that kills Bin Laden winning best picture come to think of it

Edited by Chicago

29 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I think KB did a good job too but I felt Avatar broke boundaries that were hard to ignore. I don't mean because she's a woman, I always thought the academy as a whole didn't like Cameron's arrogance which would hinder his support. ZDT for me was a better made movie and more deserving but I guess there was less room in the script to offer that level of suspense. 

Would have probably been a bit controversial having a movie that kills Bin Laden winning best picture come to think of it

Avatar arrived at the time when AMPAS was done with awarding populist movies. They awarded quite a few that crossed the then coveted 100M dom but nothing on the scale of LOTR and Titanic or even Gladiator. Trend has changed and that affected the outcome. Moreover, there were hurdles such as that most of the cast acted in mo'cap which Acting Branch was not going to support. I mean, SAG snubbed it even though it was a big ensemble movie, not a one actor show, that hired some underrated actors which SAG usually likes. But yes, the combo of Cameron being a past winner + disliked by the industry had an impact too. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Avatar arrived at the time when AMPAS was done with awarding populist movies. They awarded quite a few that crossed the then coveted 100M dom but nothing on the scale of LOTR and Titanic or even Gladiator. Trend has changed and that affected the outcome. Moreover, there were hurdles such as that most of the cast acted in mo'cap which Acting Branch was not going to support. I mean, SAG snubbed it even though it was a big ensemble movie, not a one actor show, that hired some underrated actors which SAG usually likes. But yes, the combo of Cameron being a past winner + disliked by the industry had an impact too. 

Avatar vs Hurt locker during 2010 award season is basically a remake of 1978's Oscar when Star Wars vs Annie Hall. 

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So are you saying that whenever there's such Vs the small one always wins? :whosad:

Yes, especially when the bigger are Sci-fi

LOTR may be an one-off outlier but if you look closer, LOTR visual style and set design did look a lot more resemble to those epic films from older days like Lawrence of Arabia or Ben-Hur. Probably this is why they eat this up.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Yes, especially when the bigger are Sci-fi

LOTR may be an one-off outlier but if you look closer, LOTR visual style and set design did look a lot more resemble to those epic films from older days like Lawrence of Arabia or Ben-Hur. Probably this is why they eat this up.  

That's a great observation. I also think that being based on a literally classic gave it prestige that original sci fi doesn't have. And Jackson's achievement of filming 3 movies back to back was and still is unprecedented and had to be rewarded. 

TV awards have always had the undeserved "lesser" aura and that won't change. One reason is that Emmy's have too many categories so it's all much less prestigious than vying for fewer. The impact of winning Best Actor and Actress for example is immeasurable compared to Actor and Actress in Drama, Comedy, Limited, Variety not to mention smaller categories such as Guest Actor/Actress on top of supporting categories. It's hard to spotlight people when there are so many categories. And yes, movies still remain valued more despite TV/streaming content rivaling or even exceeding the quality. But glamour of the big screen and boxoffice pull I guess. 

The Primetime Emmys (excluding the Creative Arts ceremony) have 12 acting categories vs. 14 overall for both movies and TV at the Globes, so I highly doubt it has to do with number of categories. It's just that, as you said, the bias of movies > TV gives the Globes the advantage for marketing purposes since an individual can win one with little debate as to what it was for since they cover both mediums.

Edited by filmlover

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

the Hurt Locker deserved all the awards love. It's a great movie. Avatar, i still have not finished it ...

Please correct me if I'm wrong... but I'm guessing that you haven't seen AVATAR in a proper theater.  I can't really take a 'viewability' opinion seriously of anyone who hasn't.  

On 5/10/2021 at 3:17 PM, Maggie said:

Makes me think there's more behind this.

That almost always the case to have multiples forces behind those cancellation campaign, it is often about people that were not liked or had bad contract regardless of the social cause offense (Megan Kelly for example, did not had the ratings worth her contract, Disney didn't own the Roseanne show, she owned it and was a very powerful producer so despite the giant record viewership I imagine it was not that profitable for them has it sounded like), 

NBC got into a 8 year's contract with the Golden Globe in 2018 paying them 60 millions a year for the diffusion right (3 time the cost they had between 2010-2017) and close to the Oscar 75 million price tag.

Even before COVID that price tag was aligned to become way too much with the live tv rating trends we could imagine, with it, that became a terrible deal, if they can find a moral clause in the contract and can walk out of it, that would be great for them.

If the industry can take full control of their award season, I imagine that nice for them or at least not seen has obviously bad even if there was a lot of money in the globe in the past, that one that didn't go in their pocket for the show itself and did not control.

Combined with the fact that apparently that group was strange and unliked (a beloved group would have much more rope)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

So are you saying that whenever there's such Vs the small one always wins? :whosad:

Here the timeline of the biggest movie of all time (unadjusted)

Birth of a nation (pre-oscar, I imagine would have won everything)

Gone with the wind

Sound of music

Godfather

Jaws (lost to one flew over the cuckoo's nest)

Star wars (lost to annie hall)

ET (lost to Ghandi)

Jurassic Park (same year's has Schindler list, not nominated)

Titanic

EndGames (not nominated)

---

If you are an non-scifi epic giant movie that destroy the box office, your chance to win are really high historically

Within the group, there has been infighting over how to reform and how to respond to its critics. But there also continues to be genuine bafflement about how things escalated to this point, as well as mounting anger that the clubby organization has become the focus of Hollywood’s struggles over diversity.

In their view, much of the criticism has been opportunistic. The most resonant detail from the Times’ report was the revelation that none of the HFPA’s nearly 90 members are Black, a fact which has been public information since at least 2013.

“They have known us for 30, 40, 50 years,” one member told Variety this week. “How could this have been a surprise?”

Many HFPA members contacted by Variety declined to comment or referred calls to Sunshine Sachs, the organization’s PR firm, as they had been instructed to do during an all-members meeting on Monday afternoon. But the half dozen who did comment argued that the organization — which is made up of entertainment correspondents, many representing European outlets and some semi- or fully retired — is being scapegoated for America’s racial issues.

“Maybe as an organization we were self-absorbed, and not thinking about the political correctness and the climate in this country,” said the member, who asked not to be identified. “We are not a racist organization. This is a racist country. Pointing fingers at us now — and saying you should have 13% Black members — it’s ridiculous.”

Several also noted that a coalition of over 100 Hollywood publicity firms — which have led the charge against the HFPA — do not have particularly diverse staffs either.

Studios and publicity firms say that they had urged the HFPA to make changes years ago, but those suggestions were ignored.

“The HFPA is clearly trying to deflect the real issue, and their own responsibility,” says Jackie Bazan, founder & president, BazanPR and BazanED. “There is no defense against or deflection from decades of systemic racism, sexism, erasure and homophobia, that has permeated this organization for far too long, with no independent attempt at reform. The HFPA sits in judgement of the creative work of others, their membership historically opting to exclude the work of BIPOC talent, making or breaking careers in the process, and practicing egregious behavior, all the while collecting millions of dollars for the Globes.”

The publicists’ coalition did not divulge its own diversity statistics, but did acknowledge that firms must take steps to hire more people of color and members of marginalized communities.

Variety got an 89 year old HFPA member on the record who said that they are diverse because, “We have Chinese. We have Japanese. We have different things,” she said. “We don’t have people who are Black-skinned for a very simple reason — because nobody applied.”

Not true, BTW (they rejected a Black applicant in 2013, though the person did get 33 votes in favor). 

I think it's a bit of Column A arcnd Column B: the HFPA has always been a corrupt mess, but the industry ignored it so long as they could benefit. Now that the ratings tanked and the industry wants to "Do something!" regarding social justice, the HFPA is a convenient punching bag.

Think we can move this back to the awards section now @Eric the Jigsaw Killer

Also:

“There’s No Show If There’s No Talent”: Inside the Collapse of the Golden Globes | Vanity Fair

Then it got worse. At the Oscars, HFPA member Margaret Gardiner asked supporting actor winner Daniel Kaluuya what it was like to work with director Regina King. Kaluuya, who looked taken aback, asked her to repeat the question. (His movie, Judas and the Black Messiah, was directed by Shaka King, while Regina King directed fellow supporting actor nominee Leslie Odom Jr. in One Night in Miami.) Gardiner insisted she didn't confuse the actors, but the HFPA's lack of any Black members made it especially cringeworthy that one of them had seemingly confused Black performers and directors.

Ice Cube GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY