filmlover

Golden Globes/HFPA news thread (Breaking News: It Lives!)

How do they even make a comeback after these past few months? Just scrap these and find a way to combine SAG/WGA/PGA into one televised awards show where you get a room full of stars for awards that actually carry weight since they're industry guilds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The drama never ends:

Can you copyright a hotel ballroom? LMAO 

The funny thing is, The Critics Choice Awards actually were an enjoyable little awards show not dissimilar from the Golden Globes back when they were on E! (back in the good old days when they were a fun network to turn to for entertainment news before they became The Kardashian Network) but then they were sent to The CW and other discount networks and lost whatever prestige they had due to cheap producers overseeing them. They actually ran out of trophies during the show one year lmao. I stopped watching years ago and can't be bothered anymore.

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

The funny thing is, The Critics Choice Awards actually were an enjoyable little awards show not dissimilar from the Golden Globes back when they were on E! (back in the good old days when they were a fun network to turn to for entertainment news before they became The Kardashian Network) but then they were sent to The CW and other discount networks and lost whatever prestige they had due to cheap producers overseeing them. They actually ran out of trophies during the show one year lmao. I stopped watching years ago and can't be bothered anymore.

I remember that, I think they had to ask earlier winners to volunteer their trophies to get through the end of the show. Didn't they know how many categories there were ahead of time? They seem to have upped the budget a little from those days.

An article about the dust-up:

On 7/19/2021 at 9:45 AM, filmlover said:

That a bit of a misleading spectacular coverage of the rules changes, it has been a very long time since they could have accepted something has big than a trip

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/golden-globes-voters-told-return-gift-tom-ford-fragrance-954610/

But the HFPA now has a rule in place that forbids its members from accepting gifts with a market value of more than $95.

Since the 201x, they can maybe accept a drink, a dvd box set of the movie or a movie poster, but nothing of any value, they return watch, perfume, special made cake and so on.

The price limit make studio able to send stuff that make sense, like photo album of the movie and posters (like they do to SAG members and other voting body for your consideration package) but nothing more.

While no films or actors actually have to be officially submitted for Globes consideration this year due to the HFPA's decision to lift the entry requirements previously in place, some studios are going even further and not providing screening links. A top campaign firm also indicated it won't promote multiple high-profile clients (spanning several studios) to the HFPA over the same period.

"I don't think anyone would use that kind of nomination in an outward-facing way to promote clients," says one talent representative currently heading an Oscar bid for a noted actress. "It could have a negative effect." Our campaign mastermind cited earlier (now coordinating several campaigns) speculates that stars could push back, too. "Let's say they give it to a certain actress and she says, 'Uh, I don't want it,'" the strategist says. Potential nominees could be shamed by the public if they embrace an honor from a group that hasn't enacted tangible change, which is why any sort of in-person appearance by an honoree seems out of the question: "A celebrity-led event is not the direction we are heading for this year's program," says Hoehne.

So the winners named in the press conference will just go on Instagram the next morning and distance themselves from the Globes that way... The awards journalist types and Film Twitter will just love trying to use the Globes as a negative against winners they already don't like, and most of the contenders will just issue any statement/apology needed to keep themselves out of controversy and in the race.

I don't think the HPFA have really thought this one through, beyond a desperation to be relevant. In their minds, it's like a press conference vs fully skipping the year is the difference in the organization’s long-term survival.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

lmao would they be the HFPA if they weren't super desperate for the spotlight?

I was just thinking the other day about how it was not even four years ago we had the Golden Globes ceremony in the midst of #MeToo where everyone was sporting pins provided by Time's Up, and how both organizations (HFPA and Time's Up) have been collapsing from the inside over the past several months.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

lmao would they be the HFPA if they weren't super desperate for the spotlight?

I was just thinking the other day about how it was not even four years ago we had the Golden Globes ceremony in the midst of #MeToo where everyone was sporting pins provided by Time's Up, and how both organizations (HFPA and Time's Up) have been collapsing from the inside over the past several months.

The Golden Globes where multiple dudes wearing #TimesUp pins went on to be accused of predatory behavior, and they brought out Kirk Douglas for a special tribute...Twitter was going off that night, the rumor about him assaulting a teenage Natalie Wood was fairly well known by then (which her sister finally confirmed earlier this year). I guess it wouldn't be the HFPA if they weren't a mess on some level...

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Golden Globes where multiple dudes wearing #TimesUp pins went on to be accused of predatory behavior, and they brought out Kirk Douglas for a special tribute...Twitter was going off that night, the rumor about him assaulting a teenage Natalie Wood was fairly well known by then (which her sister finally confirmed earlier this year). I guess it wouldn't be the HFPA if they weren't a mess on some level...

It was also the season where Casey Affleck had to step down from tradition of crowning the next Best Actress as the previous Actor winner due to his own allegations resurfacing. He actually just booked a couple of notable gigs in the past few months which I think was the first time he signed up for multiple projects since then? Perhaps the implosion of Time's Up (due to the revelations of corrupt leadership and being another "all show, zero substance" Hollywood organization that had no real goals despite being the face of the #MeToo movement) is gonna result in some of the earliest targets getting their chances at redemption earlier than expected.

• Sad 1

With studios not providing screening links to films, I am now much more interested to see what the HFPA actually nominates. If the globes aren't being treated as a priority event in terms of campaigning for the Oscars (which is likely the true end goal for campaigners), then that will likely cause the votes and nominations to be out of whack, more so or less so than how it's been out of whack in the last couple years. I'm just saying that without studios directly asking them *for their consideration*, they might have a less clear idea of what to actually *consider*.

Edited by SLAM!

3 hours ago, SLAM! said:

With studios not providing screening links to films, I am now much more interested to see what the HFPA actually nominates. If the globes aren't being treated as a priority event in terms of campaigning for the Oscars (which is likely the true end goal for campaigners), then that will likely cause the votes and nominations to be out of whack, more so or less so than how it's been out of whack in the last couple years. I'm just saying that without studios directly asking them *for their consideration*, they might have a less clear idea of what to actually *consider*.

They'll just pick what's in the lead on Gold Derby, or want to prove how committed to diversity they are now .

• Like 1

They sent out invites to celebrities to announce the nominees on Monday morning. We'll see if anyone accepts their offer.

Golden Globes: HFPA Hopes Stars Will Help Announce Nominations - Variety

If not I hope someone leaks the list of who they sent the invites out to like that wild document that got out last year of the Trump administration's desperate attempts to put together a star-studded PSA to improve his flop image in handling COVID (complete with insane descriptions next to each celebrity) and pretty much everyone either declined or (in the case of 90% of the list) didn't even bother to respond.

• Astonished 1