YM!

YourMother’s Vaccinated X-Tra Dank, X-Tra Thicc and X-Tra Y8 Reviews

Hey guys, we’re back at it again with Y8 reviews.  As per usual, here’s the grading system:

A-/A/A+ receives the coveted

tumblr_inline_mqrh26jIU11qz4rgp.jpg

B-/B/B+

C-/C/C+

185?cb=20151103125558&key=fdc1923def6702

D-/D/D+

Nkw4tTy.jpg

F

• Like 2

January 
Losers Weepers - B+

You know, I surprisingly enjoyed that one much more than expected. Like if it weren’t for one plot point I’d give it a Dong but this is just a morbid Looney Tunes Cartoon. 

Gunman Clive - C

The Lost Empire - C+/B-

The Lost Empire improves on the original Atlantis as it’s more with a longer runtime and condenses some of its problems. The Lost Empire also takes some changes like cutting out side characters from the original such as Cookie or Mole and I also like how it expands a bit of the themes of imperialism by adding nationalism as a means to justify it which the antagonists use. The action is still great, and the cast is well put together but still has some of the same faults the original had.

While I do find some changes interesting, I feel the message would’ve been stronger if Sweet/Audrey/Vinny were kept as mercenaries and they don’t get much to do. Some of the pacing problems still persist with Atlantis being a bit sidelined.

White Wyvern - D

I do think that on paper, this film could work in that it being a woman’s recovery after abuse with the fantastical unicorns being an interesting parallel. However, the film soon starts to become either sappy, unrealistic or in some cases, although it was not Slam’s intention, unintentionally repulsive where the movie feels completely unrealistic. Another user pointed this out in a film festival review, that the conversative, Evangelical family is the big good or peace that’s being disrupted by ATJ’s hilariously daffy abusive boyfriend who acts use African-American slang, likes rap and has face tattoos as the big bad which has some really messed up parallels if looked at wrong.

Nkw4tTy.jpg

• Like 4

February 
Christie Monteiro - C+

Though I do think the film has issues with story, Letitia will good is an odd choice for the Afro-Brazilian character, and I don’t necessarily buy certain moments, Monteiro has pretty great action sequences using capoeira at the forefront and is a pretty solid time.

A Very Adam and Cindy Romance - C

A predictable yet cute family rom-com where doggos do matchmaking. Nuff said.

Funny Business - B/B+

Reminiscent of IRL’s Who Framed Roger Rabbit and my own Toons v Reality, Funny Business takes a more adult tone in terms of humor and manages to stay on beat with its manic humor. The writing while sharp does feel familiar though. Great feature debut by @El Squibbonator

Pokémon: The Case of The Orange Outrage - B+

I love Pokémon from games to the anime. I love Numerators’ Pokemon movies. So is it a surprise that I love the film? Nope. The cast is well organized as there’s not a single weak link, as the film’s story is honestly the most fun the franchise has had, either being aces with the humor, or wowing you in the world in scale. It’s what Detective Pikachu should’ve been. It’s a blast. Not a Dong this time sadly but still the second best film of the franchise. 

Holland Hannah - B+

As many before me have said, Holland Hannah feels like a 90 minute music video. Though I have warmed up to it more after my first glance at it during last Fall’s CAYOM Film Festival. While the story isn’t groundbreaking, the characters are solid, the film is bolstered by Debincki’s performance, a solid romance as the soundtrack helps bolster and act as the energizing source rather than the story is a great change of pace. 

• Like 3

March

Fable - C+/B-

Although the rules of the world can get hard to follow as well as the fact that most of the characters don’t really feel engaging apart from the leads who even then aren’t deep, Fable works in delivering fantasy fun with a likeable crew in helm.

Flightless Bird - The Downfall of the Boeing 737 MAX - A-

Another surprise I wasn’t expecting. Flightless Bird proves to be the most thorough and most engaging documentary in CAYOM, showing a precautionary tale on how the power of greed can cause horrible consequences.

Recompense - C-

Though it’s ending is a surprising twist, Recompense feels very similar to many other films of similar breed and at times its attempts at sincerity feel false.

Far Cry - B+

Filled with sweeping action set pieces and a gripping tale of our lead’s slippery slope towards insanity as well as a hammy Diego Luna, Far Cry’s manic sense of chaos is a sight to see.

Citizen Kale: A VeggieTales Movie - B

While mainly for the audience under 8, Citizen Kale is a cute farce that teaches the importance of honesty and the dangers of fake news.

King of the Six - B-

A pretty standard documentary. Props for it being the Toronto Raptors getting the spotlight.

• Like 3

April

Numbers Theory - B/B+

While it’s ability to not take itself seriously is both a fun blessing and at times a curse, Numbers Theory is a fun thriller that’s boosted by performances from Nesson and Johnson.

No Mercy - C

Like many zombie movies, the effects are well done and the action is entertaining. However, the cast isn’t interesting with a traditional storyline these films follow, make No Mercy fail to stand out.

The Idiots - B+

While not as impressive as Flightless Bird, The Idiots prove to be a informative and engaging documentary.

Doc Dreams - B

A fun documentary but the runtime skews a bit too long for my taste.

Up In The Sky - A-

Being heartwarming and whimsical, with an engaging cast and script, Up In The Sky is sure to dazzle and delight those who watch.

The Insect God - B

Despite the small budget, The Insect God provides another exciting addition to the vast series of sci-fi epics in the CAYOM library, as well as reminding what makes humanity special.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

May

Mass Effect: Revelation - B+

While it has some problems with pacing and has its moments of being overstuffed, Mass Effect: Revelation manages to deliver with great action sequences, engaging script and a great ensemble of characters.

Walking With Dinosaurs: The Cinematic Experience - B

A well done dinosaur documentary. Nuff said.

Wet Willy - C+/B-

Probably the weakest of the Losers Weepers/Rhino Riders 2/Wet Willy trilogy of bizarre yet fun films though it does a bit too ridiculous at times.

Monster Bug Wars: The Spider Path - C- 

While the approach is unique for the game, it feels like it’s counterpart as well as being an ad for the sequel.

Monster Bug Wars: The Scorpion Path - C-

While the approach is unique for the game, it feels like it’s counterpart as well as being an ad for the sequel.

Rhino Riders 2 - B-

With this and Losers Weepers, I’d like more nutty fillers like these. This film was such fun and the budget really helped the lunacy of the things. Story isn’t it’s strong point but makes up for it in a fun time.

Sandboy - A

Another festival film I warmed up on. It’s definitely one of those movies that’s so damn whimsical it’s not even a problem. It’s definitely reminiscent of Ghibli films and pulls it off aplomb. Sandboy is a well acted and engrossing family film sure to delight young and old.

Dealers Choice - B/B+

Foley brings us a well done and engaging romantic crime thriller with great leads in Garfield and Walter-Bridge. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

When Avatar: The Last Airbender first came out, 5 to 8 year old me thought the show was good but it wasn’t one of my favorites, in fact kid me preferred other Nicktoons like Spongebob, FOP, Danny Phantom or even the more obscure but underrated El Tigre. 2 years later, 10 year old me saw The Last Airbender in theaters and it was one of the few movies I didn’t enjoy as a kid. Flash forward, 2 years Korra airs and while I didn’t finished the series I liked a lot. At around 13-14, I rewatched Avatar and truly fell in love with the series.

Blankments Productions has been pining its hopes on having its own big franchise whether alongside the likes of big live action ones like Spark, The Scavenger Wars, Odyssey, Pillars of Eternity and Green Lantern Corps or the animated ones like Bounty Hamster or Can You Imagine?. The question of that will be answered later but that question will be answered later this year.

The real question is Avatar: The Last Airbender a home run or a stinker worse than M. Night Shamalan’s version.

Spoiler

Sadly, it is the latter.

D+

Nkw4tTy.jpg

Spoiler

SIKE

Spoiler

To be honest, The Boy In The Iceberg reminds me a bit about the first Odyssey film. It has jaw-dropping action and visuals, a greatly put together ensemble with Ryan Potter stealing the show as Zuko who I could vouch for best supporting actor adding some vulnerability to him that made the character so loved in the first place. Sienna Augidong also rocks as Katara (also thanks for not making Sokka so misogynistic like he was the first few episodes, I mean we get a taste but it’s more reserved). 

However, the film does struggle a bit in terms of condensing a season worth of material in an 160 minute film in that at times it does feel a bit like a series of vignettes which has hurt anime adaptations in the past like the underrated One Punch Man or my own Green Lantern Corps 1 (cause I’m not typing that long ass title). But I have a rebuttal for that point to as these interactions help grow the characters and flesh them out other than feeling like point A to point B. 

The Boy in The Iceberg is a great albeit overstuffed franchise entry with compelling leads and a whimsical script. I hope the sequels kick it up a notch and am excited to see where they’ll go from here.

Spoiler

B+

Avatar: The Last Airbender- The Boy in The Iceberg 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:
  Hide contents

When Avatar: The Last Airbender first came out, 5 to 8 year old me thought the show was good but it wasn’t one of my favorites, in fact kid me preferred other Nicktoons like Spongebob, FOP, Danny Phantom or even the more obscure but underrated El Tigre. 2 years later, 10 year old me saw The Last Airbender in theaters and it was one of the few movies I didn’t enjoy as a kid. Flash forward, 2 years Korra airs and while I didn’t finished the series I liked a lot. At around 13-14, I rewatched Avatar and truly fell in love with the series.

Blankments Productions has been pining its hopes on having its own big franchise whether alongside the likes of big live action ones like Spark, The Scavenger Wars, Odyssey, Pillars of Eternity and Green Lantern Corps or the animated ones like Bounty Hamster or Can You Imagine?. The question of that will be answered later but that question will be answered later this year.

The real question is Avatar: The Last Airbender a home run or a stinker worse than M. Night Shamalan’s version.

Hide contents

Sadly, it is the latter.

D+

Nkw4tTy.jpg

Hide contents

SIKE

Hide contents

To be honest, The Boy In The Iceberg reminds me a bit about the first Odyssey film. It has jaw-dropping action and visuals, a greatly put together ensemble with Ryan Potter stealing the show as Zuko who I could vouch for best supporting actor adding some vulnerability to him that made the character so loved in the first place. Sienna Augidong also rocks as Katara (also thanks for not making Sokka so misogynistic like he was the first few episodes, I mean we get a taste but it’s more reserved). 

However, the film does struggle a bit in terms of condensing a season worth of material in an 160 minute film in that at times it does feel a bit like a series of vignettes which has hurt anime adaptations in the past like the underrated One Punch Man or my own Green Lantern Corps 1 (cause I’m not typing that long ass title). But I have a rebuttal for that point to as these interactions help grow the characters and flesh them out other than feeling like point A to point B. 

The Boy in The Iceberg is a great albeit overstuffed franchise entry with compelling leads and a whimsical script. I hope the sequels kick it up a notch and am excited to see where they’ll go from here.

Hide contents

B+

Avatar: The Last Airbender- The Boy in The Iceberg 

Spoilers for film 2 onwards but forgot to add

Spoiler

Also Lana Condor as Ty Lee

Blanks you better rock the next film. 

• Like 1

June

Dave Day - C

I find the crude humor does conflict at many times with the statement the film has against war. It feels like an Adult Swim cartoon that has been extended for a film runtime.

Mighty Fall - C+/B-

I find Mighty Fall an interesting beast. The characters while not the most revolutionary are all fun to watch together and the script does it job as well as having some fun action sequences, and the animation is gorgeous.

FILM SPOILERS

Spoiler

The choice to use original characters as the main cartoon protagonist works as tbh I still think it’d be more awkward with Bugs and Daffy doing serious moments. Though other Looney Tunes characters may appear, Bugs and Daffy can be written in the sequel down the road.

However, the humor and the cartoony nature of traditional animated characters can cause some weird tonal inconsistencies which isn’t the fault of Phoenix Fire, or the cast and crew but rather comes from the nature of having such animated characters in a space opera. 

Everything I Never Told You - B-/B

Zhao’s Everything I Never Told You does well when it shows the building resentment, heartache and mourning when it comes to losing a loved one, especially when it’s one’s own child and as a POC I do find the feelings of imposter syndrome and assimilation albeit a bit overacted, very well done. Williams and Wu do great with what they’re given. However, I do find the performances from the rest of the cast rather okay instead of good or entertaining.

• Like 3

July

The Gnashing - C+

Although the writing is a bit too cheesy for my taste, The Gnashing whips up some effective scares with kernels of philosophy hidden inside.

Eminem Esque - B-

Pretty cool documentary although I do the events of the film lack the pinase of Flightless Bird and The Idiots.

Fullmetal Alchemist: A Tale of Two Brothers - C-

Sigh. I really wanted to like this movie. The film does have some moments like I thought the relationship between the main characters and brothers of Ed and Al engaging, and sure the visuals are pretty cool and there’s a decent action sequence here and there, the rest of the film has too much baggage to truly capture my interest. 

The film feels sort of like a set up movie in the way The Odyssey: The Spoils of War and Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Boy in The Iceberg did but where as the exposition felt either intriguing or developmental for the characters, they feel loosely woven in here. The cast here is pretty serviceable although I felt the villain could have been really effective and helped the film if they empathized on how much sway he has other than the obvious so we can get a better glance at the character. The movie isn’t a bad one but it feels very much like the typical part one movie and I hope it’s successors are able to step it up in quality.

Animal Crossing - B

While it may not be the most bold animation, Animal Crossing sets out to do exactly what the games do, provide a fun, cute and breezy time for the viewer, that’s impossible not to enjoy.

The Exchange: Foreign Studies - C

Like Miraculous Ladybug but without superheroes or secret identity. Pretty cute but typical teen comedy. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 3

August

The Wave Thief - C

It’s basically Die Hard on a boat but it’s also a romance movie too with a bonkers third act which saved the film from a lower grade. It is what it is.

Frankenstein Jr - C/C+

Frankenstein Jr. is definitely a fun way to spend sometime at the movies especially if one has younger children. However, it suffers from being anything more than okay as story beats feel familiar to other films of similar ilk. 

The Spaces Between Trees - C+/B-

The Spaces Between Trees is one of the more surreal, if not the most surreal film I’ve read in CAYOM. The leads who play Evie and Hadley do a great job, and the cinematography and direction is really great. However, the film left me really confused with some moments feeling off although I guess it ties in with the message I think as well as a lot of the film feels as if it stuck in the second act. Overall, while I don’t think the movie is bad or mediocre, I think it’s a solid flick, I just found myself confused and needed time to process my feelings.

Strangers in The Town - C-

While certainly well put together, Strangers in The Town suffers from unlikeable leads, one can easily predict the plot and the greatest sin is apart from a few moments, it’s not laugh out loud funny.

Learning to Care - A+

I got to say, I always admire the more personal pieces users have put on here, like @Ezen Baklattan’s Notes From The Otherspace and @Blankments/EGK’s By The Balls, mainly because they tend to be developed with aplomb or moving. I raved about this film during the festival and was curious if it still applied and I’m proud to say it does.

While Learning to Care doesn’t have the satirical wit of By The Balls (not that it was going to be) nor is it the emotional rollercoaster of Notes from The Otherspace, it’s a delightfully low key film that feels so inviting and human. 

There’s no villains or antagonist nor is there conflict but that’s it’s great strength. Learning to Care feels like raw real life, the characters are just people going through life. It make you feel like you’re not alone on the journey called life.

Nick Robinson plays Rob in potentially his best role and his own personal journey while not larger than life or learning a grand lesson, seeing him develop is excellent. Tatro also nails it with his best performance in the game. 

In short, I think it’s perhaps @Blankments’ best film, and Y8 may have a lot of competition to find a film that can top this.

New Tricks - B-/B

I apologize to SLAM for never getting the chance to preread this film as schoolwork this year has really been piling on me. Like many of New Horizon’s films, New Tricks combined the grounded and realistic world with more fantastical elements in this case, Greg, the lead turns into a dog.

New Tricks is a pretty satisfying and heartfelt family dramedy with a unique message to remind audiences how important they are to their loved ones. However, outside of Giambone, I don’t think the other characters really stuck out to me as well as Keener’s character while you can buy her turmoil feels a bit too over the top at times. The dialogue could have also used some improving.

Splat Splat Boom - D+

This Saw-esque satire film fails to come up with substantial enough scares or sense of tension, resulting in a typical gorefest.

Nkw4tTy.jpg

Soar - B-

A pretty standard biopic that families should enjoy over the Labor Day Weekend.

September

Panzer Dragoon - C+/B-

While it lacks in story or compelling characters, Dragoon makes up for it with exhilarating action sequences, great visuals and two entertaining leads. 

Floodbath - B

Floodbath is an effective disaster drama where the leads really shine here, although I didn’t think the drama was anything out of the ordinary but it was still well done.

The Million Dollar Jacket - C+/B-

A pretty cool rom-com where Kaluuya and Rae have pretty good chemistry.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think the complaint over the leads being unlikeable misses the point that the leads are supposed to be somewhat unlikeable at the start (and in one case for a large portion of the film). And the "laugh out loud" complaint again I think misses the point of the kind of film it is, which is a sharper dark comedy, not a side-splitter.

So I honestly think you might have gone in with the wrong expectations.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I think the complaint over the leads being unlikeable misses the point that the leads are supposed to be somewhat unlikeable at the start (and in one case for a large portion of the film). And the "laugh out loud" complaint again I think misses the point of the kind of film it is, which is a sharper dark comedy, not a side-splitter.

So I honestly think you might have gone in with the wrong expectations.

That’s fair. I could just re-review it.

• ...wtf 1

October

Olive’s Hallowed Eve - A

Olive’s Hallowed Eve is a worthy successor to the Y5 smash hit. From it’s toe tapping musical numbers, to the ensemble of loveable and entertaining characters and a heartwarming script. However, what really shines is the creative risks the sequel took. Olive 2 is darker than the original which makes sense for a Halloween themed film but shines the most with its strong narrative

Zendaya as Olive has a terrific arc about finding her own purpose after doing something extraordinary making her feel depressed which is really relatable and the arc comes to a great conclusion. Dawson, while not as great as Gyllenhaal’s Postman is still a very effective villain and arguably more menacing. Clement also shines as the socially-awkward Tortie who becomes part of the conflict while keeping him very empathetic. I think the original is just an inch better but Olive 2 is a worthy successor. I look forward to Olive 3: Valentines Day. 

World of Trouble - A

World of Trouble is a satisfying conclusion and an emotional thrill ride to The Last Policeman trilogy. Elhenrich (who replaces the shamed Elgort) as Hank Palace helps carries the film and bring a delightful sense of vulnerability as he searches for his sister Nico (played by Dever) after the events of the last film. The cast here is well composed, all giving great moments as the clock counts down to the last seconds of Earth as we know it but the most impressive thing is the twists and turns the film takes. World of Trouble is a great film and I’m glad to see such a great piece of work come to fruition. 

Out of Order: The Decline of The Arcade - B

A pretty solid documentary about video games. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Dirty Hands - A-

Another great Numerator crime thriller, this time with more Carry Coon as Alice, a lawyer whose client David (Jeremy Strong) murdered a high ranking Syrian official but the politics at play show more sides to the story. The ensemble, like most Numerator crime thrillers are greatly assembled and the mystery of the truth at hand is well done as it delivers a banger of a third act. I felt it was a bit slow in the beginning but that’s a minor complaint. Dirty Hands is a spellbinding political thriller that I’m sure will entice audiences.

The Life of a Guinea Pig - D

This insipid family comedy is short on laughs, wit or anything moderately entertaining.

Nkw4tTy.jpg

Note: Upon further reflection, I would like to bump Strangers in The Town to a C+/B- as I feel I was unfair to the movie, even though it wasn’t my cup of tea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

November

The Three Caballeros Ride Again - D

To be honest, I don’t think it’s the worst film of the year or even in the bottom ten as far as CAYOM films go. While it’s basically an extended lemon fanfiction as a film and that’s it is basically just shock value, the main problem comes from narrative as there’s not much of a plot other than Donald being horny and he should be faithful but then still does the opposite. The greatest crime of this film is that it feels like nothing has happened. 
Nkw4tTy.jpg

Castaways - B-

A notable step-up from Horizon’s usual action franchises and especially Fullmetal Alchemist, Castaways brings pretty cool action sequences and great visuals making it a fun time but stumbles on story as well as building truly interesting characters.

The Bronx is Burning - A

Finally, CAYOM’s first film with Puff Daddy: Destroyer of Capeshit that’s not a filler, and how does it hold up? Pretty damn great. Michael B Jordan excels as Reggie Johnson as well as Bobby Canavale as Billy Martin as the two clashes combined with Scorsese sense of direction makes an exemplary sports drama.

Returning From Hell - B/B+

Awkwafina delivers a powerful performance in this film, though I do find the subject matter rather intense and like what both Numbers and Ethan have said, perhaps the flashbacks throughout the cruelty could be used to make the film more digestible but all and all its a well put together film.

Everything We Miss - A+

When I first preread this film sometime ago, I needed time to digest this film, as I do suspect this film to be divisive. The human lead characters of the film aren’t too interesting to me but the film isn’t really about them. The film is more focus on the message being the things we miss when we don’t pay attention when we should, and the way this film does it although it has a moment of repeating this message a lot but it is done so very intelligently, is captivating with the animated creatures being as either observers or provokers making it an interesting case study. Everything We Miss is an immersive avant grade animated film and possibly the most bold and inventive animated film we have seen from the game so far. 

Turkey Squad - D

So this is the reality we get after the Snyder cut, huh.

Nkw4tTy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I legit can't comprehend this

Sorry. I should’ve been more clear. 

The human lead characters of the film aren’t too interesting to me but the film isn’t really about them.

The World That We Knew - B

Despite some initial misgivings on combining both the fantasy elements of mythical creatures like golems in a rather dour drama, The World That We Know tells a pretty strong story, that is molded together by the golem character Ana. 

• Like 1

8:30 PM EST 

25 films, which will reign supreme?

But first, I’d like to something kind this year, considering the pandemic and all, and since I want more linear scoring and further time to digest, I’ll be bumping up grades of some films which will be announced after the top 25 alongside December reviews.

• Like 1