Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (5/14-16)

1 minute ago, Eric the Jigsaw Killer said:

I've heard this talked about before on the Telegram chat, but I think a major issue plaguing theaters is less skepticism on safety and more on that people just don't want to go to the movies. People are sick of getting cooped up all year and want to do fun outdoors stuff and big vacations. Going indoors into a dark room for two hours isn't what people want to do, and streaming already has given them their entertainment fix.

I could be wrong here and I know the usual suspects will give me a "haha" reaction and act as if everything will be totally fine, but I can really see this summer being a rough one just because of cabin fever. Maybe the winter holidays will be better because of the colder weather? I dunno, it's hard to be optimistic about anything these days.

I assume I am a “usual suspect” in this context, but I actually agree with the first paragraph. Weather is getting good, once people feel like it’s party time they might tend more towards actively social events.   

I don’t know what’s happened but the forum is all zoomed in on mobile for me. 

Raya just benefited from 12 weeks of no competition and a location bump. Makes sense it’s still going, it’s the only option for families. 

$3.7m wouldn’t be very good for Spiral. 

Spiral's mediocre numbers are likely what it would have done in its original spot last year tbh. Jigsaw nearly four years ago already proved this was a "past its prime" franchise. These movies are cheap enough that this will automatically be profitable and ensure that Lionsgate will likely try to revive it again in another five years though.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Spiral's mediocre numbers are likely what it would have done in its original spot last year tbh. Jigsaw nearly four years ago already proved this was a "past its prime" franchise. These movies are cheap enough that this will automatically be profitable and ensure that Lionsgate will likely try to revive it again in another five years though.

Yeh, Spiral will push the franchise past $1billion when it hits $20m or so. 

https://deadline.com/2021/05/spiral-army-of-the-dead-weekend-box-office-chris-rock-zack-snyder-1234757348/

yikes

New Line/Bron/HBO Max’s Angelina Jolie western Those Who Wish Me Dead was always expected to come in the low single digits, and it’s expected to rank third at 3,188 theaters with an estimated $880K yesterday and a $2.5M opening.

Edited by Maggie
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Not really a surprise based on how other adult titles on HBO MAX are performing. Interesting enough The Little Things (4.8m) is still the leader in that regard. Judas and the Black Messiah did 2.0 OW. So this is still pretty weak considering the market was worse off in January/Feburary.   Streaming has hurt these type of mid-budget adult releases the most. 

Edited by babz06

No significant numbers to report for the Top Gun re release. Must have done less than Profile's $260K Friday. This is bad news for TG 2. Fans of the original aren't going to the cinema.  Scott Piligrim re release did 700k weekend a few weeks ago. TG isn't touching that.

Edited by Maggie

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

No significant numbers to report for the Top Gun re release. Must have done less than Profile's $260K Friday. This is bad news for TG 2. Fans of the original aren't going to the cinema.  Scott Piligrim re release did 700k weekend a few weeks ago. TG isn't touching that.

Top Gun had its big re-release in February 2013 in IMAX where it made over $3M.

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Nobody goes to theatrical re-releases and it airs on TV all the time. Please go to CVS and get some chill pills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric the Jigsaw Killer said:

I've heard this talked about before on the Telegram chat, but I think a major issue plaguing theaters is less skepticism on safety and more on that people just don't want to go to the movies. People are sick of getting cooped up all year and want to do fun outdoors stuff and big vacations. Going indoors into a dark room for two hours isn't what people want to do, and streaming already has given them their entertainment fix.

I could be wrong here and I know the usual suspects will give me a "haha" reaction and act as if everything will be totally fine, but I can really see this summer being a rough one just because of cabin fever. Maybe the winter holidays will be better because of the colder weather? I dunno, it's hard to be optimistic about anything these days.

I could see that. It also doesn’t help that even pre-pandemic, the slate of 2020 blockbusters that largely got pushed back to this year felt like they were more in the vein of “could be a really big hit if everything goes right” rather than “guaranteed box office bonanza.”

Through all of this, I’ve also wondered what the public appetite will be to watch something that was supposed to be released in 2020. Watching Tenet last fall knowing that it was meant to be a big summer film for a summer movie season that didn’t happen was such a bizarre experience, and I’m kinda getting weird vibes about finally watching A Quiet Place: Part II 14 months after it was jettisoned from the schedule right before its release date. These films are technically new, but they’ve languished on the shelf for so long - and for such an obvious reason - that it feels like they might not have much urgency for viewers.

But honestly, everything about the last 14 months has been so unpredictable that I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the box office pick up steam once the bigger movies start to come out. I’ve given up trying to seriously predict anything for the time being.

• Like 2

Here in France people seem excited to go back to theaters (reopening on May 19 after being closed down for 8 months), at least at first glance. As for me I don't intend to go back to theaters until the release of Encanto and then Turning Red next year, pretty much like I was doing pre-COVID: only for Disney Animation & Pixar.

Edited by Fullbuster

A lot of the movies coming out the next few months had already spent millions of marketing dollars for big spring/summer releases that weren't to be even before the world turned upside down and at this point studios are probably hoping people are still interested in them and will accept whatever their worldwide totals are since they can't sit on these finished movies forever. Minions 2 is probably the only remaining 2020 holdover that will fully live up to whatever its pre-COVID potential was thanks to the fact it's now coming out a full two years after it was originally supposed to (since the world should be fully recovered by the time July 2022 gets here).

Edited by filmlover

Fourth place belongs to Funimation/Aniplex’s Demon Slayer which is booked at 1,930 theaters (-170) in weekend 4 making $513K (-41%) for a weekend of $1.7M (-37%) for running total of $41.9M.

DS has chance to pass $45M at the end? 

I genuinely know many people who are not aware that theaters are open and that movies are being released in theaters. Our local Regal was closed down and nobody knows it is open again - though it was big news when it closed. There needs to be some sort of awareness campaign to let people know that movies are coming out again in theaters, because right now I think even people seeing ads for A Quiet Place or Cruella assume they are straight to streaming or something.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I genuinely know many people who are not aware that theaters are open and that movies are being released in theaters. Our local Regal was closed down and nobody knows it is open again - though it was big news when it closed. There needs to be some sort of awareness campaign to let people know that movies are coming out again in theaters, because right now I think even people seeing ads for A Quiet Place or Cruella assume they are straight to streaming or something.

Honestly not sure what they can really do. Quiet Place 2's ads are already citing "Only in Theaters", and ditto Cruella, even with the Premier Access thing. Regal and AMC promote movies and reopenings on their Twitter accounts.

I have said it before and I will say it again: the theaters business as we know it is over. I am not saying this because of some damn gimmick. That is my legit opinion. People got used to see everything in streaming during the pandemic. It is so much better. I saw The Woman in the Window yesterday without leaving my couch. I didn't have to deal with people talking or looking at their phones, I didn't even have to leave the house. This is the future, and the future is now.

If I can see Those Who Wish Me Dead at home, I will see it at home.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

This shit feels like a cycle at this point. Every week alternates between "cinema is still gonna thrive" and "cinema is dead" (pretty sure @CJohn has made this exact same comment above in every one of these doom and gloom threads). 

But I think people could easily see that May was going to be a crappy month the moment Black Widow moved out. And the fact that May is usually great probably exacebrates how empty this month feels.

• Like 4

I feel people's mistake is to expect normality on cinemas right now. This is not going to happen guys, not for a while. We are still hard on that "recovery" stage, even whith the pandemic easing out on US it still gonna take a long time to the industry to recover its wounds and for most of audience to come back. Just like the chinese market didn't went back into doing respectful numbers from night to day, it will most likely gonna take a good chunk for US to do it. Until then, we are stuck on that cicle of

-Movie did good opening this weekend: "CINEMAS ARE SAVED";

-Movie undeperformed that weekend: "CINEMAS ARE DOOMED".

• Like 1