Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (5/14-16)

10 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Very disappointing for Spiral. With the low pre-sale numbers for AQPII, and the negative reactions to Conjuring, Texas Chainsaw and Malignant, looks like its up to Halloween Kills to redeem horror this year. 

Ooh did Texas Chainsaw have test screenings? 

I don’t think they’re planning a cinema release, are they? 

Deadline has 1.77 for DS. They’re calling it -41% because they still have the wrong number for last weekend that’s on the-numbers and mojo — but in actuality -35.5%. Pretty solid stuff.

6 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Deadline has 1.77 for DS. They’re calling it -41% because they still have the wrong number for last weekend that’s on the-numbers and mojo — but in actuality -35.5%. Pretty solid stuff.

Deadline only call 41% drop for Friday, Overall weekend 36% drop.

FUNanimation should have some fan merchandise tie-in event like those in Malaysia, South Korea, or Japan. Should help its run significantly.     

• Like 3

Godzilla vs. Kong will have another good hold next weekend with zero major releases coming out so crossing $100M is pretty much a guarantee now since WB will inevitably double feature it with The Conjuring and In the Heights.

• Like 2

So overall business will be totaling to around 26m-27m. Still too low in relative to its market potential and the we still have problem making a 10m opener consistently.  

Next week could fall below 20m again (the first since Apr16-18) due to the lack of new wide opening. 

I'm very disappointed too (and can only say sorry for being so way off :blush:, must be one of the worst predictions ever). I was really confident that Spiral will reach at least 15M OW.
Probably I/we heftily overestimated the appeal of this 9th Saw movie. Last week the walk-ups helped Wrath of Man, this week they must have been very poor.

I think these current weekends just have their own rules and I agree with lorddemaxus, the real tests for theaters will come later. Even June could be too early. And as mentioned some movies also overperformed e.g. GvK or DS and Raya has strong holds...
The availability to stream films very soon or even at the same time doesn't help theaters for sure but only streaming is also boring IMO. Often people say they hate it when their theater neighbors talk and make noise (understandable) but I also often want to see films in theaters because a big loud crowd is watching it with me, quasi as an event.

11 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

If cinema has died, Russia and China win another battleground in this Cold War 2.0 wthout much attack. As simple as that, cinema has been a vital place for Amercian to export and exert their soft power overseas. 

People would watch these US films & series on their local streaming platforms instead as they're buying rights to air them, it wouldn't change anything. Actually streaming would actually increase the amount of US productions seen by these people as there's more choice for a lower price.

Only 200k for the re release of Top Gun. I guess people aren't excited about the franchise. Scott Piligrim did 700k a few weekends ago. This is bad news for the Top Gun sequel. Adults are staying away from theaters

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

People would watch these US films & series on their local streaming platforms instead as they're buying rights to air them, it wouldn't change anything. Actually streaming would actually increase the amount of US productions seen by these people as there's more choice for a lower price.

I can recall zero series that replicate the buzz level that I had experience with HP, LOTR, Marvel, DC or even Twilight or HG. Not even Game of Throne have that level.

It is a very strange scenario, people (at least in Asia), they will watch movies in English but hardly they will talk about any English series. Once you walked out from english-speaking community, the buzz even for the most popular series in western nation are almost non-existent. Once people turn into streaming, they will stream any korean/hong kong soap-opera, chinese palace drama series, japanese anime or bollywood flick. Welcome any Asian to challenge this view. Does any of series from the west have the hype-level similar to their movie counterparties?   

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Only 200k for the re release of Top Gun. I guess people aren't excited about the franchise. Scott Piligrim did 700k a few weekends ago. This is bad news for the Top Gun sequel. Adults are staying away from theaters

that's actually quite good, i had no idea TG had a new release until a day or 2 before , where i knew Scott Pilgrim would be in theaters weeks in advance , there was no promotion until recently

8 minutes ago, el sid said:

Often people say they hate it when their theater neighbors talk and make noise (understandable) but I also often want to see films in theaters because a big loud crowd is watching it with me, quasi as an event.

I mean, if I go to a theater and pay it's because I want to see a movie and there's no other places to watch it...If I want to see people I can walk in the streets or go to a festival. It's not shocking to have people who want to focus on a movie they're interested in and paid for instead of hearing noises from strangers.

Besides, streaming allows watching with your friends at home, or your family so if you really feel that lonely well you have options too.

• Like 1

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

that's actually quite good, i had no idea TG had a new release until a day or 2 before , where i knew Scott Pilgrim would be in theaters weeks in advance , there was no promotion until recently

I don't know about what kind of promo they did, but Scott Piligrim did way better. Young people seem to be back at theaters. We have no proof adults (let's say over 40 ) are coming back. I'd love a breakdown of the audience for these movies. I suspect most are young people

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't know about what kind of promo they did, but Scott Piligrim did way better. Young people seem to be back at theaters. We have no proof adults (let's say over 40 ) are coming back. I'd love a breakdown of the audience for these movies. I suspect most are young people

People tend to call pro-cinemalist as old-fashioned, but they fail to recognize the fact they it is the country where population skewed younger that cinema was booming. And USA/ Euro where population skewed older, are abandoning cinema like they are some kind of nerd or incel cult that fail to carry out the most basic human's instinct, i.e. socializing.  

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

47 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

41.9M total?

So just $130K Wed and Thu considering it made $40M by Tuesday.

Yeah the cume and the weekend make 0 sense with each other here, lol. Hopefully it’ll be reconciled nicely by tomorrow, but kind of doubt it 😕