Grade it  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Liked this a bit more than I expected to. I was nervous from the initial marketing it would be more talky and take away from the whole hook of the movie, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and there were a lot of effective silent moments here that I loved from the previous film.

The stuff with the girl and Cillian Murphy's great, less so with Blunt and the other kid. However, I really dug the last five minutes or so. So perfectly edited and perfectly ties all the themes of family and legacy and both kids' story arcs really well. Got me hyped for Part III

• Like 1

A worthy sequel to the surprisingly excellent smash hit original. The opening Day 1 scene grabs the viewer and proves that Krasinski still knows how to assemble a very tense sequence. The rest of the movie isn't nearly as strong, but it still keeps the audience on their toes throughout and the "no sound" gimmick still works (especially in Dolby Cinema, which is how I saw it). Emily Blunt doesn't have as much to do here as she did in the first, while Noah Jupe mainly finds himself placed in perilous situations, but those flaws are easy to forgive since the excellent Millicent Simmonds is given the chance in the spotlight - it's certainly a welcome decision to see a deaf performer lead the way in a big project like this for a change. Cillian Murphy is fine filling the void left by Krasinski's demise in the previous movie.

Did the story need to be continued after such an unexpectedly strong standalone first installment? No, not really. But this is as good a follow-up as any they could've created (and worth the unexpected 14 month delay it ended up enduring) and I look forward to the inevitable Part III in 2023.

B+

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

I liked this more than the first purely on the strength of Cillian Murphy being a much more engaging lead than John Krasinski. The 2nd half starts to fall into the same trappings of the first though.

B

• Like 1

This semi pre-sequel really lift up the expectation, although much of the idea are rehash from the first one but at least it is still effective. The atmosphere and suspense building are great, but the plot is a bit weak, The sequel feel more like a extension of the first one, instead of expansion.