Eric Duncan

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

2 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I think kids movies may have a harder time recovering as quickly as movies for adults. Most of them aren’t vaccinated so parents are probably still a bit skittish to take them out for now.  

Croods and Raya are having bonkers legs though. Yes there's a lack of competition, but it seems parents just want to get their kids out of the house.

• Like 4

I did see bot Raya and The Last Dragon and A Quiet Place Part II in fairly crowded theatres yesterday all things considered. Wasn't my first time back to the theatres but it was my first time seeing a lot of people there and it was kinda life affirming.

excited by the fridays for both the openers, especially after feeling the previews for both seemed a little low

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eric De Vil said:

Croods and Raya are having bonkers legs though. Yes there's a lack of competition, but it seems parents just want to get their kids out of the house.

Yeah, the only movies which have been untested are those for older adults....Top Gun 2 and...that's it? haha

Edited by Maggie

2 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I think kids movies may have a harder time recovering as quickly as movies for adults. Most of them aren’t vaccinated so parents are probably still a bit skittish to take them out for now.  

Yep. That's why most of the kids movies out this summer were always going to be more limited in terms of box office potential while the big bets are either delayed another year (Minions 2) or skipping theaters completely (Luca).

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I did see bot Raya and The Last Dragon and A Quiet Place Part II in fairly crowded theatres yesterday all things considered. Wasn't my first time back to the theatres but it was my first time seeing a lot of people there and it was kinda life affirming.

excited by the fridays for both the openers, especially after feeling the previews for both seemed a little low

I think the word of mouth are spreading. Not for both movies, but overall theatrical experience, when people share their moviegoing experience across and reassure cinema is safe. Just like vaccine, the more people taking, more people will follow, part of the herd behaviour I guess.

• Like 1

I still haven't had the crowded cinema experience post-pandemic yet (Monster Hunter screening was almost empty and Nobody had only a couple rows filled) and I'm excited to have it soon with AQP2 (releasing in two weeks here) once I get vaccinated.

• Like 2

Just now, Maggie said:

Yeah, the only movies which have been untested are those for adults....Top Gun 2 and...that's it? haha

i wouldn't say adult movies are untested.

Those Who Wish Me Dead (we could argue if this movie was always going to bomb. idk) just had a wide release and Nobody was in march. along with other releases all throughout the pandemic really

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

i wouldn't say adult movies are untested.

Those Who Wish Me Dead (we could argue if this movie was always going to bomb. idk) just had a wide release and Nobody was in march. along with other releases all throughout the pandemic really

If we look at the numbers both those two movies did, then older adults are not ready to be back in cinemas...

So BW has a hybrid release, Luca is VOD and Shang Chi has a 45 day exclusive theater release.

Alot of experimentation going on at Disney. And while we won't get much of the raw data for VOD, we'll be able to tell which model is the most profitable based on which one they rely on for late 2021.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So BW has a hybrid release, Luca is VOD and Shang Chi has a 45 day exclusive theater release.

Alot of experimentation going on at Disney. And while we won't get much of the raw data for VOD, we'll be able to tell which model is the most profitable based on which one they rely on for late 2021.

Luca will actually be for free on D+ the same day it would have been in theaters.

Jungle Cruise is also doing theater/D+ PA the same day as well.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Granted I assume adult audiences are pretty heavy driving force behind AQP2. Maybe that's a total misread tho

The audience on PostTrak showed 52% female, with 53% over 25 and 58% between 18-34.

Edited by Maggie

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah; i wouldn't be surprised if they do a simultaneous release with Shang Chi if BW and Jungle Cruise does good numbers with PA.

• Like 1

Really doesn't make sense to me now why Disney is starting their 45-day window era with Free Guy and not with Black Widow. The sense that something can only be experienced in a theater matters to a ticket-holder, especially if it's an MCU *movie* they want to differentiate from their Disney+ shows. I wonder if it's truly the state of the worldwide box office-- which so long as countries like ours are not aiding in the worldwide rollout of vaccines will ebb and flow for years-- or they realize audiences won't get too hyped for an MCU installment that feels five years too late. 

But Disney and all the companies gutting theatrical aside, bless this weekend, and to paraphrase god (Vin Diesel), bless Da Movies.

(For the record, the correct window for a tentpole is 45 days, modest low/midbudget successes is a month, and anything that outright bombs should come with a red button studios can press so a $20 premium VOD release can drop the Friday after release. Gonna go away again now~)

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1

I'm curious what tracking/expectations are on In the Heights. The marketing push seems absolutely massive (and also very much like they're neglecting to mention the available on HBO max angle) see a like it has great reviews and a fairly broad appeal. It wouldn't really surprise me if it was the biggest movie of the summer 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

In the Heights has become my most anticipated movie of the summer, given all the superlatives being thrown around about it. 

This one is going to really play for weeks. If only WB would do the right thing and take it off HBO Max. Sigh. 

Well, ummm, it was a big reason I subscribed to HBO Max, so the right thing might not be so clear:)...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, ummm, it was a big reason I subscribed to HBO Max, so the right thing might not be so clear:)...

Sure, but it wasn’t a good thing for the box office. Which I know you care about too…so pick a side!