Eric Duncan

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Luca will actually be for free on D+ the same day it would have been in theaters.

Jungle Cruise is also doing theater/D+ PA the same day as well.

I guess Disney is going for more subscribers with Luca.

Maybe Raya's PA numbers were disappointing. 

Or it's a Pixar thing judging from Soul.

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Probably because of the brand, it doesn't look good to treat the platforms different in different countries.

For example, HBO Max is doing day and date for free on US, the platform is coming to Brazil next month but new movies will be available only 35 days after premiere. There's a LOT of people furious about that because they want the equal treatment.

I bet if Disney give the option foreign and not domestic, people will riot, especially those interested in watching at theater and then pay the PA to rewatch many times at home.

This is the most ridiculous reaction if it happened. If a film debut in theater and PA access concurrently , I can choose either going to cinema or PA but once the movie is gone from theater, I am left with only streaming option!  How can people complain they have to wait for 45 days or 60 days for their turn to stream but I may have to wait a lifetime to be able to see a film on big screen again once they left theater 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I won’t speak for anyone else but I’m thankful for the hybrid releases. I don’t feel safe going to a theatre yet ( they aren’t open here anyways as of now). Once my family is fully vaccinated and so are a lot more people I will be ready to go back. I’m fine paying the $30 to rent when tickets run my family of four between $50-100 per movie (depending on location). I’ve seen every MCU/cbm opening night the last few years so it would really suck if I didn’t have that hybrid option to see BW at home.

My target right now is to hopefully see The Suicide Squad in a theatre in August if things are better here. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is the most ridiculous reaction if it happened. If a film debut in theater and PA access concurrently , I can choose either going to cinema or PA but once the movie is gone from theater, I am left with only streaming option!  How can people complain they have to wait for 45 days or 60 days for their turn to stream but I may have to wait a lifetime to be able to see a film on big screen again once they left theater 

I'm confused by your anger over your last few posts. Back in the good ol' days of 2018, the only chance you could see something in theaters was for a limited time and it would likely never play again. Why are you suddenly throwing a hissy fit over something that was already happening for decades?

Just now, Eric De Vil said:

I'm confused by your anger over your last few posts. Back in the good ol' days of 2018, the only chance you could see something in theaters was for a limited time and it would likely never play again. Why are you suddenly throwing a hissy fit over something that was already happening for decades?

That is because people think theater exclusivity is unnecessary and that hurt consumer choice without realising they actually got to stream a movie forever after the theater exclusive window.   

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

As a gay man myself i watch 2/3 of the movie smiling in every scene, i feel very represented seeing LGBT people on screen and the way they treat fashion less focused on feminine and masculine.

I appreciated how Artie felt like it just fits into the world.  They're not forcing him into the story, and they weren't even highlighting him in a LOOK AT US WAY.  He was just there. No different than anyone else in the cast.  And he's NOT a character that "can be edited out for [insert homophobic region of the world here] way".

I said in my spoiler review in the RTM Thread that it felt like Disney's first queer movie, not in the Proper And Meaningful Representation way, but in the Give The Gays Everything They Love And Just Give Everyone An Air of Bisexuality way.  Which is fine by me!  Sometimes I don't need the former.  Sometimes I just want a found family grifting in fabulous clothes with their dogs!!

• Like 5

*reads a few debates about hybrid releases, especially Black Widow*

Folks, I know this is (mostly) the DOM forum, so we'll focus on Domestic Numbers here, but... 'rona still kinda rampaging in many countries.  Seven day average on cases is clearly going down again worldwide, and vaccines will be out later or sooner (taking too long in many places, but a post for the covid mother thread).  But the situation ain't ideal for a four-quad true WW hit like Black Widow.  And while it'll be better by early July, think the vaccination rollout is murky enough to give pause to a pure theatrical world wide release for Black Widow.

Now maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Disney could yank the hybrid model in places where there are strong vaccination rates, but then you get folks squawking about having PVOD in some countries, but not others.  I also think that bandage has been well and truly ripped off in the case of BW.  Hard, if not impossible, to stuff the genie back in for that release if only for media optics (even if they were inclined to go pure theatrical [see below] Disney not wanting to re-write contracts again is the more likely reason, IMO).  

Disney made a bet on what the theatrical landscape would look like worldwide in early July.  US looks to be doing better than some expected (and I do say some because there were equally loud voices forecasting a fairly great outlook for the US by mid-summer), but that wasn't Disney's only consideration when they made their bet, nor is it now.

Plus, you know, wanting to turbocharge D+.  There's that teeny tiny itsy bitsy minor consideration as well. :ph34r:

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Hopefully the bad weather all weekend in the northeast will help out with internal multipliers for the two openers.

Is weather really that cinema-friendly at east coast? I don't know that will be such a force for weather to influence box office business. 

Also, checking across regal cinema, I realised the last show of the day is actually quite early. A lot of them have their last show before 10pm or 11pm while in the place I live , midnight show selling out is very common. Is new yorker hate night life?   

President Biden should get involved to and put public pressure on to preserve our theater industry as a necessary function of public life and American culture. He should actively call on HBO Max and Disney+ to drop their day and date streaming releases. People going out to places like movies is a necessary part of being a functioning society. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

President Biden should get involved to and put public pressure on to preserve our theater industry as a necessary function of public life and American culture. He should actively call on HBO Max and Disney+ to drop their day and date streaming releases. People going out to places like movies is a necessary part of being a functioning society. 

US Senate is still unable to realise how important the theater is for USA soft power. Much of the US soft power is exported through cinema to the point that even the country are in tension with USA like Russia or China, they watch Hollywood movies there in their theater but not so much of streaming a series from US. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

US Senate is still unable to realise how important the theater is for USA soft power. Much of the US soft power is exported through cinema to the point that even the country are in tension with USA like Russia or China, they watch Hollywood movies there in their theater but not so much of streaming a series from US. 

Totally agree. I took many public diplomacy classes in grad school in DC and actual State Department level people consider this an important part of our foreign policy. Besides that, we know from reams of research and literature how important film and theaters are to developing our domestic, American culture - the schemas that define how we think and talk about ourselves. This cannot be understated (along with live music, broadway, etc - President Biden should get involved in all of it).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Totally agree. I took many public diplomacy classes in grad school in DC and actual State Department level people consider this an important part of our foreign policy. Besides that, we know from reams of research and literature how important film and theaters are to developing our domestic, American culture - the schemas that define how we think and talk about ourselves. This cannot be understated (along with live music, broadway, etc - President Biden should get involved in all of it).

If streaming is future, then USA has no future. In the past 30 years, there are tons of cultural phenomenon extended beyond english-speaking world through big screen like Jurassic, ID, Titanic, LOTR, HP, Twilight, transformer, Marvel vs DC, FF etc, yet little to none tv series have made such impact like their movie counterpart even after streaming taking over. Letting go theater is basically letting go an national advantage that US have been possessing for decades.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Given the movies studios make, do we really want that soft power still projected around the world?

We need to establish that dalmations are evil and the author of our pain

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

I was talking pre pandemic memorial day weekend. 60m was a good target and achievable. 

Also, many people actually love the movie and not just talking about the joke. It's a good and entertaining movie. 

I really don't think pre-pandemic would've been that much different for both movies (you think AQP2 would've opened $100 mil or something without the pandemic too?). And you finding it a good and entertaining movie doesn't change that most of the discourse on twitter was about that scene.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2