Eric Atreides

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

18 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Mandalorian is a SW related universe. You think people would give a damn if it wasn't for SW movies to pave the way??

Second, Netflix do provide local language content to each different countries.  So owning a Netflix isn't really correlate to American show. Also, if you check through every box office market, hollywood production always made up 90% or more for imported movie. That alone explain the overwhelming advantage.  

Star Wars is a fair point but my Game of Thrones example is hard to dispute.

As for Netflix and if it English shows/movies are watched internationally luckily is pretty easy to look up. 

Friends is top 10 in Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Cyprus, Egypt, Estonia, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Phillipines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom. 

source: https://flixpatrol.com/title/friends/

Army of the Dead is top 10 in pretty much every country Netflix operates

source: https://flixpatrol.com/title/army-of-the-dead/

Just now, Jamiem said:

Star Wars is a fair point but my Game of Thrones example is hard to dispute.

As for Netflix and if it English shows/movies are watched internationally luckily is pretty easy to look up. 

Friends is top 10 in Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Cyprus, Egypt, Estonia, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Phillipines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom. 

source: https://flixpatrol.com/title/friends/

Army of the Dead is top 10 in pretty much every country Netflix operates

source: https://flixpatrol.com/title/army-of-the-dead/

Again, those are just online number which box office number can equally do the same. Most importantly, I can see a everyday non-english speaking housewives recognize Iron Man, HP figure or Titanic ship or The lion king in the mall when they see an action figure on display. I can feel people talking about Hollywood movies in their native language whenever they met. I can see working class people casually sharing some movie trailer from Hollywood on their social media. I can see a girl score F in her english exam but somehow going nut for Twilight or Hunger Game.

But none of this observation happened to english series even for GoT. Their buzz are passionate but limited to a small group of english speaking community.

Again, I am not disputing the fact english series do have presence in overseas countries but their advantage or domination disappear right away. They are no longer that special compared to the local language content.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Again, those are just online number which box office number can equally do the same. Most importantly, I can see a everyday non-english speaking housewives recognize Iron Man, HP figure or Titanic ship or The lion king in the mall when they see an action figure on display. I can feel people talking about Hollywood movies in their native language whenever they met. I can see working class people casually sharing some movie trailer from Hollywood on their social media. I can see a girl score F in her english exam but somehow going nut for Twilight or Hunger Game.

But none of this observation happened to english series even for GoT. Their buzz are passionate but limited to a small group of english speaking community.

Again, I am not disputing the fact english series do have presence in overseas countries but their advantage or domination disappear right away. They are no longer that special compared to the local language content.    

What about the biggest movie franchise vs the biggest tv show on Google Trends in South Korea. GoT is bigger than Avengers in both English language and Korean language search results. 

1551-D28-C-28-A0-4-B29-9-D9-E-06-C08-BBC

F9-BB84-A0-2830-4-EAE-A013-6-F6-C3306-AE

Again, you seem to be using anecdotal evidence, whereas the empirical evidence (actual data) doesn’t support your  argument. 

I think we have derailed the thread enough, so back on topic hopefully we get some Saturday numbers soon. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

What about the biggest movie franchise vs the biggest tv show on Google Trends in South Korea. GoT is bigger than Avengers in both English language and Korean language search results. 

1551-D28-C-28-A0-4-B29-9-D9-E-06-C08-BBC

F9-BB84-A0-2830-4-EAE-A013-6-F6-C3306-AE

Again, you seem to be using anecdotal evidence, whereas the empirical evidence (actual data) doesn’t support your  argument. 

I think we have derailed the thread enough, so back on topic hopefully we get some Saturday numbers soon. 

Data is scientific but not necessarily equate accurate or reflective. If it is really so, Trump wouldn't win 2016 presidential election because no sufficient data support that but people on the ground may sense there is a solid chance. Data without a real world experience is merely a channel of echo chamber. I am not korean I can't "feel" if GoT is really that big compared to Marvel.  

The only two movies that are must see movies at the theater OD are Spider-man 3 and Matrix 4. Those are two spoiler sensitive films and I'm fairly certain they'll have a 45 day window.

If they do they have a good chance at being the first movies since the pandemic with 100 m ow.

If they do it will encourage studios to make spoiler sensitive films like The Matrix, Inception, and Endgame.

• Like 1

Personal anecdote: I work at an AMC in Lawrenceville and this is the busiest we've been since December. A Quiet Place Part II has been so popular that we've added another showing at 9:30 PM. This thing is doing gangbusters. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

20 minutes ago, JWR said:

Personal anecdote: I work at an AMC in Lawrenceville and this is the busiest we've been since December. A Quiet Place Part II has been so popular that we've added another showing at 9:30 PM. This thing is doing gangbusters. 

How about Cruella? Thanks for update btw. 

5 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

How I wish John Krasinski was directing Fantastic Four rather than Jon Watts. He has directed these films like some seasoned filmmaker.

I think John Krasinski can do a lot better than directing a superhero movie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

21 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I think John Krasinski can do a lot better than directing a superhero movie

Well considering Ryan Coogler, Taika and Chloe, I won't say so. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean those guys can also do better they're just choosing not to

Considering Thor Ragnarok led to more mainstream success and projects for Taika. I disagree. 

Considering Ryan Coogler got bigger than ever after Black Panther, I disagree again. 

Considering Disney/Fox partnership is helping Chloe to follow her vision. I disagree again. She loves Marvel and always wanted to work them. 

• Like 3