Jump to content
Skipper Eric

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

Recommended Posts

Look, 2021 is the year of recovery. The studios will have their streaming same day releases this year and then in 2022, they’ll go back to the old model. This weekend just proved that people are ready to get back to the movie theater.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Considering Thor Ragnarok led to more mainstream success and projects for Taika. I disagree. 

Considering Ryan Coogler got bigger than ever after Black Panther, I disagree again. 

Considering Disney/Fox partnership is helping Chloe to follow her vision. I disagree again. She loves Marvel and always wanted to work them. 

Perhaps it brought them more recognition sure. But those movies aren't exactly their most exciting work. And if it comes down to recognition I feel like Krasinski has plenty at this moment he doesn't exactly need to go down that rabbit hole

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Deadline says 47.5 for AQP2

 

Quote

Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part II is crushing it, having grossed $19.3M yesterday, including $4.8M Thursday night previews, for what it looking like a $47.5M 3-day, $57.4M 4-day opening at 3,726 theaters for a $15,4K theater average.

 

https://deadline.com/2021/05/a-quiet-place-part-ii-cruella-memorial-day-weekend-box-office-1234766021/

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part II is crushing it, having grossed $19.3M on Friday, including $4.8M Thursday night previews. Saturday eased 23% to $14.9M, and the revised 3-day is now at $48.3M 3-day, $58.5M 4-day opening at 3,726 theaters for a $15,7K theater average.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Krasinski does an MCU movie or a superhero thing don't get me wrong I'll be excited because I think he's a great director. But given his ability and how big he already is there is so many other avenues that I think would be more interesting and more exciting.

 

Anyone can direct an mcu movie that crowds will eat up. Not everyone can do what John has done with these two movies so far

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

48.3  hmmm...pretty good.   There's still a while to go until theaters recover. I wanted 50M, but evidently people are still circumspect about going back to cinemas.

Edited by Maggie
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maggie said:

47.5  hmmm...pretty good.   There's still a while to go until theaters recover. I wanted 50M, but evidently people are still circumspect about going back to cinemas.

$48.3M 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally possible the estimate is on the conservative side. Given how the  movies didn't seem preview loaded on Friday kinda thought maybe we'd see a better weekend multiplyer so I'm still holding out exciting either way tho

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

47.5  hmmm...pretty good.   There's still a while to go until theaters recover. I wanted 50M, but evidently people are still circumspect about going back to cinemas.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Directing oscar bait is cool but directing a mega blockbuster opens alot more doors and it's nice to get those blockbuster royalty checks. 

 

Lastly I don't think Coogler or Taiki regret making popcorn blockbusters. They're making more after all.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Now i wish movies didn't move out of summer. There's money to be made this summer and practically no big wannabe theater exclusive blockbusters. I kind of understand why they moved it...the situation OS is not good, but it's possible cases will surge in the fall/winter again and theaters may close in the US again

Edited by Maggie
  • Disbelief 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Directing oscar bait is cool but directing a mega blockbuster opens alot more doors and it's nice to get those blockbuster royalty checks. 

 

Lastly I don't think Coogler or Taiki regret making popcorn blockbusters. They're making more after all.

I mean. I wish directing a "mega blockbuster" could mean more than hopping on an established franchise or a comic book. Not saying I don't want John to make big movies. I think very much he has the sensibilities for it. But I don't think the mcu machine is exactly going to let him flex those sensibilities tho.

 

Look if Taika and Coogler are happy then cool I just don't think it's exciting as an audience member or a fan of them for them to be on these projects. But of course I'll still watch anand likely enjoy to some degree 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Any director could've made Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok or Infinity War?

 

I don't think it's that easy but okay.

Well perhaps I should clarify. Those movies are generally competent. I'm sure THERE ARE people who could fail at that. But there's certainly nothing remarkable about the direction. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean. I wish directing a "mega blockbuster" could mean more than hopping on an established franchise or a comic book. Not saying I don't want John to make big movies. I think very much he has the sensibilities for it. But I don't think the mcu machine is exactly going to let him flex those sensibilities tho.

 

Look if Taika and Coogler are happy then cool I just don't think it's exciting as an audience member or a fan of them for them to be on these projects. But of course I'll still watch anand likely enjoy to some degree 

 

Well something like Thor Ragnarok has it's own unique flavor. I think making a MCU film that stands out is more challenging and rewarding than you might think.

 

Either way it's nice to have an iconic blockbuster on a person's filmography.

 

Creed and Fruitville Station are great films but Black Panther shook the cultural landscape of blockbuster movies.

 

It's an obvious gem in Coogler's crown and filmography.

 

Coogler stated he put his heart into the film and the experience was important to him.

 

I think the knee jerk reaction to write off Marvel as shallow entertainment is misguided but I don't want to break the thread rules so let's agree to disagree.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say that AQP2 had everything going for it. Excellently reviewed sequel to the first hit and beloved movie. In normal times this would have done 70M+ imo. It was just a perfect storm. I'm content with almost 50M considering the circumstances, but i wonder how other not so buzzed movies will do. Now we have a new ceiling for a pandemic movie. What film will demolish it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Maggie said:

48.3  hmmm...pretty good.   There's still a while to go until theaters recover. I wanted 50M, but evidently people are still circumspect about going back to cinemas.

 

Most of Canada isn't open yet for theatres, so that needs to be taken into account as well. 

I live in the largest province, Ontario (14+ million population), and not a single theatre is allowed to be open here.
If Canada had all it's theatre's open, that alone would have pushed this above 50 million. 

 

The Box Office is well on the road to recovery, but we all have to remember that plenty of restrictions still exist in places throughout North America. 
We don't expect theatres to be open here until July.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on topic.

 

~50 m is huge for a horror franchise in the back end of a pandemic.

 

I think studio's are going to feel alot more comfortable with theater exclusive releases moving forward.

 

Especially as more people get vaccinated.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Maggie said:

damn... so close to 50M. Anyway, i consider the OVER 50M club a success. It was bold

That saturday grow is too weak. I guess it is time to declare the defeat unless any Sunday miracle. This is the 3rd club failure after that GvK> 60m and DS>MK club......

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

 

Well something like Thor Ragnarok has it's own unique flavor. I think making a MCU film that stands out is more challenging and rewarding than you might think.

 

Either way it's nice to have an iconic blockbuster on a person's filmography.

 

Creed and Fruitville Station are great films but Black Panther shook the cultural landscape of blockbuster movies.

 

It's an obvious gem in Coogler's crown and filmography.

 

Coogler stated he put his heart into the film and the experience was important to him.

 

I think the knee jerk reaction to write off Marvel as shallow entertainment is misguided but I don't want to break the thread rules so let's agree to disagree.

 

Have no doubt that coogler worked his ass off on Black Panther. And obviously the movie was a huge landmark that extends far beyond the franchise. I'm not begrudging him for making it. And I think Black Panther is a solid movie. But clearly I think it's the weakest in Coogler's filmography

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I must say that AQP2 had everything going for it. Excellently reviewed sequel to the first hit and beloved movie. In normal times this would have done 70M+ imo. It was just a perfect storm. I'm content with almost 50M considering the circumstances, but i wonder how other not so buzzed movies will do. Now we have a new ceiling for a pandemic movie. What film will demolish it?

 

Spiral is how not so buzzed about movies will do for the next couple of months.

 

Audiences are risking corona for worthy movie going experiences only.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.