Eric Duncan

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

5 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I don't think I really think I disagree with anything you've said here. I don't begrudge people for likening these movies. I like many of them. Hell there are superhero movies that i love (granted I admit most of these don't come fom the mcu machine) My frustration isn't that there here andthat people like them. 

I just wish it felt like there was more room for other kinds of major blockbusters in the marketplace. Superheros have become so omnipresent as the blockbuster entertainment that we're not getting anything else unless it's from Nolan. So it frustrates me when people want an immense talent like Krasinski to exist within the existing zeitgeist, when he feels like one of the few people who might have the clout to a different kind of blockbuster if he wants 

On a normal year you're probably averaging three major releases per month. Six of those might by Marvel or DC.

So roughly 20% of major releases might be superhero movies.

Now I'm not sure it makes much sense for that percentage to drop to 5 or 10% considering how extremely popular the genre is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric De Vil said:

...it came out this week dude.

I think Blankments means that because of many people subscribing to hbomax for the friends reunion these people will also be able to watch conjuring 3 and in the heights on hbomax because they are now subscribed for a month.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

If I was brand new and cost $200m+ with a $50m domestic box office total after more than 3 months, I wouldn’t want to come second (at best) to a 5 year old film that’s free.

But, each to their own lol. 

Everything is behind Moana. It's consistently at the top of the charts.

It even does better than cultural obsessions like Frozen 1 and 2.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Well it will if it costs $30 to watch.

We’ll still never, ever know :)

Cant help but think if Cruella was anything else but Disney, the trades wouldn’t be so kind. 

Strange considering the studio did absolutely zero for cinemas during the much tougher times. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I didn't know Japan and Australia are closed already.

Yeah, this year will still be a rollercoaster for movies, just a better one than 2020.

they are not exactly , in australia only victoria is under a one week lockdown (for now ) bc of an outbreak , as for japan , japan is also not closed , some provinces are , but some of these provinces are starting to reopening again

ps i am sorry , if i gave wrong info

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric De Vil said:

...it came out this week dude.

1 hour ago, Julian1410 said:

I think Blankments means that because of many people subscribing to hbomax for the friends reunion these people will also be able to watch conjuring 3 and in the heights on hbomax because they are now subscribed for a month.

Yup Julian got my point haha thanks brah

Cruella's number is mediocre but for a movie available on Disney+ and on torrents it did ok.

I know a lot of people that watched and all of them downloaded it illegally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Ethan Hunt we can all say the same for Tom Cruise. Immensely talented actor, but wasting his talent on just Mission Impossible and mi type movies. 

As for boxoffice, AQP 2 has done extremely well and Cruella did fine too. I think we need a blockbuster MCU movie with excellent reviews and no same day streaming nonsense to shake things up.

F9 seems like a lost cause. Not feeling it now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

@Ethan Hunt we can all say the same for Tom Cruise. Immensely talented actor, but wasting his talent on just Mission Impossible and mi type movies. 

As for boxoffice, AQP 2 has done extremely well and Cruella did fine too. I think we need a blockbuster MCU movie with excellent reviews and no same day streaming nonsense to shake things up.

Shang Chi, Eternals and Spidey 3 should all have a 45 day theater exclusive window.

But Spidey 3 will be the true test whether box office can return to normal anytime soon.

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Like how does it feel like a lost cause? I don't understand. It's doing well overseas in a handful of countries, despite the Chinese drop. It might at least do 600 million globally when all said and done. 

A Quiet Place 2 was Hollywood's first sign that the box office is on the right path. F9's going to be the real test. If F9 fails, that might make the studios real skiddish over their blockbusters.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Like how does it feel like a lost cause? I don't understand. It's doing well overseas regardless of the China drop.

A Quiet Place 2 was Hollywood's first sign that the box office is on the right path. F9's going to be the real test. If F9 fails, that might make the studios real skiddish over their blockbusters.

I think if F9 failed that merely show that fatigue to the franchise is real that even the pent-up demand can't save it. 

9 hours ago, PKMLover said:

The total gross for DS is wrong here. On Tuesday, Funimation already made an announcement it grossed $45M already. 

They provide a update of 46.7m up to Monday. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

It's doing well overseas in a handful of countries, despite the Chinese drop.

Uhhhh, not really?   

Big drops even in the current markets minus China.

44 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

It might at least do 600 million globally when all said and done. 

600 would be pretty bad though, I would think? 

A nearly $50M 3-day, and nearly $60M 4-day, seems pretty excellent for A Quiet Place Part II, given all of the circumstances. I have to imagine that awareness & advertising was lower than under ideal, non-Covid, circumstances; some people are still hesitant and avoiding theatres; etc.

Moreover, I live in the most populous province in Canada, and all of our movie theatres are still closed due to Covid restrictions - which already reduces box office potential domestically.

I hope this is a sign of better times to come for the box office - I have definitely missed having theatres, and box office, in my life.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 6