The Wild Eric

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Okay , after seeing Cruella numbers despite a sizable hype I am sensing that Black widow might not to do big at box office as some people are expecting. Maybe 40m OW and 100m total in NA??

Having digital release simultaneously hurts a lot then people are expecting. 

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Since when did Cruella have sizable hype? It's not opening this low due to its digital release.

Yeah, got to say Cruella did not have hype.  Got some good buzz from screenings, sure.  That I'd agree with.  But the buzz wasn't out-of-this-world fantastic.

Exceedingly early days, but this looks to have "cult classic" written all over it. Time will tell if it's one of the cult classics that gets re-evaluated (and thus better appreciated) as time goes on.  

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yeah, got to say Cruella did not have hype.  Got some good buzz from screenings, sure.  That I'd agree with.  But the buzz wasn't out-of-this-world fantastic.

Exceedingly early days, but this looks to have "cult classic" written all over it. Time will tell if it's one of the cult classics that gets re-evaluated (and thus better appreciated) as time goes on.  

looks like it’s doing too well for cult classic status. 

Can’t think of a true cult classic that was in nearly 4,000 cinemas with reviews in the 70% range. 

Regardless, this is still a big Disney family movie for Memorial weekend. 
Any other year we’d be calling under $50 million opening 4 day for this ‘disappointing’. 

With the Disney+ premium release, and effectively putting it online for free…if it winds up doing $25 million’ish then that’s got to be a win. Especially considering reduced capacity etc. 

39 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

looks like it’s doing too well for cult classic status. 

Can’t think of a true cult classic that was in nearly 4,000 cinemas with reviews in the 70% range. 

To me, cult classic = mostly ignored by the GA on release but is very well received and remembered from a smaller group of people (see more about this below).  Implied in that is the possibility of a larger slice of the GA appreciating it as time goes on.

That critics like it (and the opening number of theaters) is neither here nor there.  True, many cult classics aren't exactly embraced by critics.  But that's not always the case.

Mostly I just think this has the ingredients of a potential cult classic:  Somewhat audience alienating premise (the story of a character who is famous for wanting to make a fur coat out of puppies doesn't exactly scream "mass appeal" to me) that is hella quirky and (apparently) pretty good?  

Yeah.  Close enough for me, though YMMV on definition, obvs.

Edited by Porthos

58 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Regardless, this is still a big Disney family movie for Memorial weekend. 
Any other year we’d be calling under $50 million opening 4 day for this ‘disappointing’. 

With the Disney+ premium release, and effectively putting it online for free…if it winds up doing $25 million’ish then that’s got to be a win. Especially considering reduced capacity etc. 

Also you are forgetting the fact that we are talking about Cruella , not some big remake 

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

Do you think that Cruella would have made more than 30 mill ow , pre pandemic ? bc i personally  doubt it 

I’d say it would’ve been about $50m.

But we’ll never know. 

Cruella is a delight, flawed but one of the better experiences i have since pandemic.

And it does have a classic cult vibe all over it. Actually i'm surprised by how good the reception are, A on Cinemascore, 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.4 on IMDB (biggest for Disney LA), even on Letterboxd which are more from cinephiles this have a 3.5/5 grade (also biggest for Disney LA).

And still, seems like movie is probably not reaching $ 25M 4-day OW. I guess this could be very leggy tho, and maybe a success on D+ since the last pool we have put 70% of people wanting to watch this at home over theater. 

It's trending since yesterday so yeah, maybe D+ is where this will shine, kinda like Raya which are consistently on Nielsen charts since release.

• Like 2

AQPII also seems to doing slightly worse than some expected, but still pretty good at least, and also with great reception from audiences.

But for me this weekend proofs that things are still far from normal. This is literally the perfect movie to see at theater, it's design for that, and it's a sequel to a beloved movie, it doesn't even available at streaming but still it's not a breakout.

At least things are far better than last year.

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’d say it would’ve been about $50m.

But we’ll never know. 

Over the 4 day I 100% agree. 
Emma Stone as this character has equal appeal as Jolie did with Maleficent. 

word of mouth will be strong, but we’ll never be able to say what it would have done. Which makes the Disney premium access thing all the more infuriating to us box office purists on here.  

And I’ll say it again…putting the biggest family movie of the summer (Luca) straight to Disney+ is just utter insanity. Who’d have thought the absolute king of the box office would be happy to pour money down the drain. 

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

To me, cult classic = mostly ignored by the GA on release but is very well received and remembered from a smaller group of people (see more about this below).  Implied in that is the possibility of a larger slice of the GA appreciating it as time goes on.

That critics like it (and the opening number of theaters) is neither here nor there.  True, many cult classics aren't exactly embraced by critics.  But that's not always the case.

Mostly I just think this has the ingredients of a potential cult classic:  Somewhat audience alienating premise (the story of a character who is famous for wanting to make a fur coat out of puppies doesn't exactly scream "mass appeal" to me) that is hella quirky and (apparently) pretty good?  

Yeah.  Close enough for me, though YMMV on definition, obvs.

Idk. Cult classics have the kind of passion I doubt something like this will have. It'll just be forgotten like the Pete's Dragon remake (which is genuinely great). There are just so many Disney remakes that this will be forgotten by the time the next one comes out. Same problem with recent flop superhero films like Birds of Prey. These days, cult classics are pretty much associated with vulgar auteurism, which isn't something I think you can apply to something like this. Something like Wrath of Man is way more likely to end up a cult classic. The only film released this year so far I'm sure will reach cult status is probably Barb and Star.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

AQPII also seems to doing slightly worse than some expected, but still pretty good at least, and also with great reception from audiences.

But for me this weekend proofs that things are still far from normal. This is literally the perfect movie to see at theater, it's design for that, and it's a sequel to a beloved movie, it doesn't even available at streaming but still it's not a breakout.

At least things are far better than last year.

I mean as long as theatres are doing limited showtimes and reduced capacity I'm not sure how feasible it is for things to be "normal"

• Like 2

Sales today for my theater:

A Quiet Place Part II:

12:00 Dolby: 31/236

12:30: 21/107

1:00 IMAX: 11/372

2:00: 2/107

2:30: 0/70

3:00 Dolby: 53/236

3:30: 16/107

4:00 IMAX: 19/372

5:00: 11/107

5:30: 5/70

6:00 Dolby: 27/236

6:30: 4/107

6:45: 0/40

7:00 IMAX: 15/372

7:30: 4/50

7:45: 0/40

8:00: 12/107

8:30: 3/70

8:45: 0/54

9:00 Dolby: 16/236

9:15: 0/40

9:30: 2/107

9:45: 1/40

10:00 IMAX: 4/372

Total: 257/3,655 (-12% from yesterday)

Cruella:

12:15: 14/77

12:45: 17/107

1:15: 6/40

1:45: 6/77

2:15: 2/67

2:45: 8/107

3:45: 7/77

4:15: 27/107

5:15: 0/77

5:45: 9/67

6:15: 5/107

6:45: 0/40

7:15: 5/77

7:30: 8/107

8:45: 0/77

9:15: 6/67

9:45: 2/107

Total: 122/1,385 (+14% from yesterday)

The weak nighttime sales for AQP are strange. At least the afternoon is selling strongly.

Looks like families are coming out for Cruella this afternoon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Industry tracking was $30-35m for the 4 day. It’s doing great business.