MikeQ

Mare of Easttown | HBO | Kate Winslet is incredible

I'm left wondering how there isn't a thread for this show. [Some light spoilers below]

Though not always narratively elegant, perhaps - this show was pretty terrific. It was anchored by a wonderful and understated performance from Kate Winslet, and anchored in a real sense of time and place and character. The twists and turns that land are emotional, based on relationships, and rooted in things like grief and community.

Julianne Nicholson is excellent. Evan Peters is adorable (Come on, when he says, "Have a good night, Mare!" and then criticizes himself for having wished her a "good nightmare" - that's just the most adorable and dorky thing ever.) The show has lovely moments like this where it doesn't take itself seriously. Mare's mother makes for some great comedy, too.

But Kate Winslet is the real star here - just superb. There's so much happening in her performance of Mare, it's really wonderful to watch. She is a big part of why this show works. She deserves all the awards, in my book.

Peace,

Mike

13 hours ago, MikeQ said:

I'm left wondering how there isn't a thread for this show. [Some light spoilers below]

Though not always narratively elegant, perhaps - this show was pretty terrific. It was anchored by a wonderful and understated performance from Kate Winslet, and anchored in a real sense of time and place and character. The twists and turns that land are emotional, based on relationships, and rooted in things like grief and community.

Julianne Nicholson is excellent. Evan Peters is adorable (Come on, when he says, "Have a good night, Mare!" and then criticizes himself for having wished her a "good nightmare" - that's just the most adorable and dorky thing ever.) The show has lovely moments like this where it doesn't take itself seriously. Mare's mother makes for some great comedy, too.

But Kate Winslet is the real star here - just superb. There's so much happening in her performance of Mare, it's really wonderful to watch. She is a big part of why this show works. She deserves all the awards, in my book.

Peace,

Mike

We were discussing it in the hbomax thread. This is my favourite show I’ve watched in a while  and for sure this year. I absolutely loved it. 

Edited by cax16

I finished watching this over the weekend. Pretty strong little series. Looking forward to it getting plenty of awards attention in the upcoming months.

This is easily the best performance Kate Winslet has given since her last HBO collaboration (2011's Mildred Pierce) and one could even argue her best ever. What a wonderfully nuanced performance that reminds us of what an incredible talent she is. Rest of the cast surrounding her is excellent too: it's great to see the criminally underrated Julianne Nicholson finally getting a proper showcase but I also really enjoyed the work from Evan Peters and Jean Smart. Guy Pearce didn't have anything to do unfortunately but he only took the role on as a favor after the original actor became unavailable.

• Like 1