cax16

A Quiet Place: Day One | Paramount | June 28, 2024

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh, there was no need to hold these reviews back. At least it’s tracking well without them. 

There was a reason actually. And it had nothing to do with tomatoscore. Marketing hid some key plot elements, which is told at the very beginning of the movie. I don't think it's really a summer crowdpleaser roller coaster flick. If you are going to see this movie just know it's from the author of Pig)

Edited by cinema pal

If everyone is holding the reviews back now, there is no more stigma about late embargoes

They are probably right in their assumption that good reviews can't help upfront interest much now, but bad reviews can hurt it

2 hours ago, cinema pal said:

There was a reason actually. And it had nothing to do with tomatoscore. Marketing hid some key plot elements, which is told at the very beginning of the movie. I don't think it's really a summer crowdpleaser roller coaster flick. If you are going to see this movie just know it's from the author of Pig)

1 hour ago, cinema pal said:

Don't watch the final trailer, guys. What a stupid thing. And the second one?  Better skip it too, though it's a bit late

Don’t do this, because you can allude to spoilers or make something think and add up in their own mind and end up spoiled, better to keep quiet. 

Pun intended. 

2 hours ago, cinema pal said:

People complain when trailers give away everything, now you're complaining that the trailers didn't give away everything?

1 hour ago, noknobs said:

People complain when trailers give away everything, now you're complaining that the trailers didn't give away everything?

Trailers gave away best scenes, some resolutions of tense situations and pretty much all the locations. That's my complaint. 

At the same time they were selling a bit different movie in terms of tone, themes and pacing. It's  a sad and moody film with kinda anusual protagonist. I just worry about audience reception. Early imdb rating is weird right now - 6.7

Edited by cinema pal

16 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Trailers gave away best scenes, some resolutions of tense situations and pretty much all the locations. That's my complaint. 

At the same time they were selling a bit different movie in terms of tone, themes and pacing. It's  a sad and moody film with kinda anusual protagonist. I just worry about audience reception. Early imdb rating is weird right now - 6.7

After the new planet of the apes getting amazing legs after a B CinemaScore, is getting hard to judge

Lower audience scores due to people expecting something else not always lead to poor legs 

Still, with a ~55M OW, even a mediocre 2.6x multiplier would give it a +140M finish

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

People like cats more than humans

People are weird. I like cats just fine but it's infinitely more heartbreaking to see a child die in a movie than....a cat.

• Like 1

Ooh I knew something was rotten in the state of Denmark with a Thursday review drop. This might play out like the recent Planet of the Apes film (though that had a Wednesday drop) but you don’t hold reviews so late just because.

15 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Ooh I knew something was rotten in the state of Denmark with a Thursday review drop. This might play out like the recent Planet of the Apes film (though that had a Wednesday drop) but you don’t hold reviews so late just because.

But what does Critic Reviews have to do with Audience Reviews.  Are you saying they expected worse Critic Reviews than they got?

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

But what does Critic Reviews have to do with Audience Reviews.  Are you saying they expected worse Critic Reviews than they got?

Probably, yes. The reviews are positive but not overwhelmingly so, but an ~85% is still good. But it seems like there’s a split between critics and audiences. They were probably expecting critics to be lukewarm on it just like the audience and held back reviews to protect opening weekend. We still have to see the CinemaScore and of course legs.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Probably, yes. The reviews are positive but not overwhelmingly so, but an ~85% is still good. But it seems like there’s a split between critics and audiences. They were probably expecting critics to be lukewarm on it just like the audience and held back reviews to protect opening weekend. We still have to see the CinemaScore and of course legs.

85% and certified fresh is more then “good” FYI. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

85% and certified fresh is more then “good” FYI. 

I feel like “good” is a fine descriptor. Not everything has to be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. An 85% is good. It’s below the first one’s 96% and the second’s 91%, but still “good.”

But anyway, I was planning on seeing this, but learning that it’s pretty character-driven and that I’ve seen all of the action in the trailers just makes me want I wait for streaming unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Complaining about fast streaming release in 3... 2... 1

I think Amazon accidentally leaked the streaming release date. Otherwise Paramount is stupid as hell. Not even a week and you put out the PVOD date?