Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (6/4-6) | Conjuring 24M Weekend, Quiet Place 19.5, Cruella 11.24

6 minutes ago, Derpity said:

I don't think straight-up horror is a good multiplier comparison...closer to an adventure movie that appeals to families.

88% of Quiet Place 2's opening weekend was 17-44. Don't really see how this has family appeal.

• Like 2

Excellent start for The Conjuring given its availability on HBO Max.

Lackluster for Spirit Untamed, as expected. It was never going to do major business (as a movie version of a young-girl-targeting Netflix series, which itself was based on a long-forgotten 2D animated movie from nearly 20 years ago), but it's still been harsh watching DreamWorks falling from one of the powerhouse animation studios to an almost complete afterthought over the past decade.

A Quiet Place 2's drop is acceptable and Cruella is looking like it will show staying power.

• Like 1

That Spirit movie has the look and feel of a cheap direct-to-video sequel from 2006. Even the animation isn't that much better than what came out from that era. Hilarious this is playing on the big screen while Mitchells and Luca are relegated to streaming.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Derpity said:

I don't think straight-up horror is a good multiplier comparison...closer to an adventure movie that appeals to families.

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

AQP2 is hardly a horror movie that prone to harsh drop, not to mention its PG-13 . Only supernatural horror or slasher horror are more susceptible to harsh drop. The closer comparison to AQP2 should be a monster horror flick like the Meg.    

People have a tendency to do this when horror films are really successful: claim they’re not horror films. 

A Quiet Place is a horror film about monsters killing people who make noise. 

I haven’t seen the second yet, but the first is not an action film, in any way. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eric is Full of Pride said:

That Spirit movie has the look and feel of a cheap direct-to-video sequel from 2006. Even the animation isn't that much better than what came out from that era. Hilarious this is playing on the big screen while Mitchells and Luca are relegated to streaming.

It's a sequel that should not have been in theaters. What are your projections for AQP2. I'm thinking it will reach $20M in its second weekend on the nose (assuming a 30% Saturday Increase and a 27% Sunday decrease).

Just now, Krissykins said:

People have a tendency to do this when horror films are really successful: claim they’re not horror films. 

A Quiet Place is a horror film about monsters killing people who make noise. 

I haven’t seen the second yet, but the first is not an action film, in any way. 

Never deny that AQP is a horror but it is hardly a supernatural horror or slasher.  

A lot of horror movies using monster as "antagonist" hold pretty solid like Signs , The Meg, Jurassic Park/World, Crawl, AQP belong to this sub-genre. Comparing AQP against The purge or Conjuring universe or Halloween( this one is quite action oriented) is way far off.  

• Like 1

And really guys, Quiet Place 2 is holding fine. Memorial Day openers typically drop more than 50% on weekend 2. Even if it drops to just $20M, a 58% fall is still okay, especially when another horror title is reaching 25M. It's a better hold than Solo, Pirates 5, and Apocalypse, and it's on par with family openers like Alice or Tomorrowland. There's also zilch in terms of direct competition until F9. It'll be fine.

• Like 5

QP2’s $47.5 million 3-day was slightly inflated due to Monday being a holiday. So, say, $44 million if it was a regular weekend.

Around $20 million second weekend is more than ok, considering a major horror franchise sequel just opened competing for the same audience. 

• Like 1

I love how they use Wildest Dreams to sell Spirit Untamed, a kids' movie. The original song's all about Taylor knowing it was never going to work long-term with Harry Styles a guy, but the sex... Some very judicious edits going on compared to the original:

A Quiet Place Part 2 was probably frontloaded and has to deal with virtually no Canadian box office, plus some percentage still leery about theaters. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

Maybe it’s just because I’m in Canada and ITH will be more popular in the US, but I’m not sensing a ton of hype. I wouldn’t be surprised if it opens below Conjuring 3.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Next weekend In The Heights. Can it reach 20M?

Definitely.  Do not underestimate Lin Manuel Miranda fans coming out in force on Friday. It helps that the movie is meant to be terrific as well. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Maybe it’s just because I’m in Canada and ITH will be more popular in the US, but I’m not sensing a ton of hype. I wouldn’t be surprised if it opens below Conjuring 3.

First of all, are most of theaters closed in Canada?

Second of all, it does not look like it will open below Conjuring 3. Even if it does, it will still have excellent legs to $100M DOM+.

Edited by LegendaryBen