filmlover

The Menu | 11/18/22 | Searchlight | Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Fiennes

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Have had the trailer for this in front of Smile, Barbarian and Halloween Ends, so it’s certainly getting a push. 

The trailer for this has been attached to most of the movies I've seen in theaters the past three months and it's getting a really heavy ad push on TV. Hoping it does as well as it can, always here for a fun-looking dark satire about rich snobs.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 3:35 AM, filmlover said:

The trailer for this has been attached to most of the movies I've seen in theaters the past three months and it's getting a really heavy ad push on TV. Hoping it does as well as it can, always here for a fun-looking dark satire about rich snobs.

well 9m in 3200 theatres with all the promo... a flop

This movie was ridiculous and a lot of fun. It’s tightly written, funny, and a great cast, so it worked for me even when it’s absurd.

I saw in the credits Ferrell and McKay produced this. Wondered how that was the case when they had a falling out and dissolved their company. From some quick googling, apparently this was a film they were previously contracted to.

Anyway, a whole lot of fun - if you haven’t seen it, I suggest going in blind. 

Peace,

Mike

22 hours ago, MikeQ said:

This movie was ridiculous and a lot of fun. It’s tightly written, funny, and a great cast, so it worked for me even when it’s absurd.

I saw in the credits Ferrell and McKay produced this. Wondered how that was the case when they had a falling out and dissolved their company. From some quick googling, apparently this was a film they were previously contracted to.

Anyway, a whole lot of fun - if you haven’t seen it, I suggest going in blind. 

Peace,

Mike

One thing I love about movies - and art in general - is how it can be an entirely different experience from person to person.

Me? It wasn't fun for me at all. While it had some timely messages it's also just such a miserable and bitter film. Maybe it's more a me thing. I'm looking for more uplifting stuff that makes you hopeful and have faith in people (which is probably why people love superhero films so much), not depress you about how crappy they are. Nobody in this film tried to be a good person. Those who've seen it probably know what I'm getting at.

Glad I went though. I wanted to give it a try no matter how I felt about it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Verrows said:

One thing I love about movies - and art in general - is how it can be an entirely different experience from person to person.

Me? It wasn't fun for me at all. While it had some timely messages it's also just such a miserable and bitter film. Maybe it's more a me thing. I'm looking for more uplifting stuff that makes you hopeful and have faith in people (which is probably why people love superhero films so much), not depress you about how crappy they are. Nobody in this film tried to be a good person. Those who've seen it probably know what I'm getting at.

This is completely fair. Also, I agree wholeheartedly with your point about movies/art - the beauty of it is that the experience is different person-to-person.

I think for me the characters worked because the film really leant into the comedy/absurdity and was remarkably funny - for me at least. I laughed out loud quite a bit, and the characterizations from the actors really did it for me.

Spoiler

Everything from the chef's right-hand woman was so good. And the food critic, in particular - her bit when the shit has just started hitting the fan and she's trying to assure everyone this is all just part of the experience, and she turns to her editor and says, "this is for you and I". 😂 

If the film had been a very serious rendition of this concept, I don't think it would have worked as well as it did for me. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Verrows said:

I'm guessing you're not a Succession fan.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 2:40 AM, Verrows said:

Oh god, did you even know anything about this movie? stick to disney stuff