Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

https://deadline.com/2021/06/peter-rabbit-2-the-runaway-steals-900k-on-thursday-a-quiet-place-part-ii-will-be-first-movie-to-cross-100m-during-pandemic-1234773599/

Sony is reporting the Thursday night previews to Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway which began at 4pm yesterday at 2,572 theaters, and the long-awaited Will Gluck directed sequel grossed $900K. The first Peter Rabbit in February 2018 didn’t hold any previews.

Also as of today, Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part II will become the first movie during the pandemic to cross $100M domestic — a milestone. The John Krasinski-directed sequel crossed the century mark in 14 days, becoming the fastest title to do so during the pandemic.

We’re still waiting for Warner Bros/Legendary’s Godzilla vs. Kong to cross $100M; the last number recorded by the studio was last weekend’s stateside running total at $99.1M. A Quiet Place 2 made $2M yesterday at 3,744 locations; the sequel’s running total stands at $97.3M. I hear A Quiet Place 2 and New Line/HBO Max’s Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It were in a dead heat last night, with the former edging out the threequel.

• Like 3

Should be a strong weekend again.

ITH folks think $20M is possible, I believe them.

PR2 should go for $15-17M weekend from $900K previews.

AQP 2 should be $10-10.5M.

Conjuring 2 may be $9-10M.

Cruella may be $7.5-8M.

Top 5 61-66M. (par or 8% up last weekend).

• Like 2

Still think Peter Rabbit 2 would’ve done significantly better without a move up a week. It was far too late to affect the marketing and awareness (a much larger scale issue than what heights Thursday is dealing with too imo)

on the bright side, everything should hold well next week anyway lol

So AQP2 will soon be the biggest film of 2021 and the first movie to cross 100 m since Sonic the Hedgehog (early 2020).

So the big question is what's the next movie to take the top spot.

F9 is not getting the best reception and Black Widow is a hybrid release. So it's anyone's guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So AQP2 will soon be the biggest film of 2021 and the first movie to cross 100 m since Sonic the Hedgehog (early 2020).

So the big question is what's the next movie to take the top spot.

F9 is not getting the best reception and Black Widow is a hybrid release. So it's anyone's guess.

No matter how hybrid is BW, it is still a marvel brand with top tier character. I don't think it is too much to expect BW to top BBFL easily. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blankments said:

Still think Peter Rabbit 2 would’ve done significantly better without a move up a week. It was far too late to affect the marketing and awareness (a much larger scale issue than what heights Thursday is dealing with too imo)

on the bright side, everything should hold well next week anyway lol

It's all about getting the audience for "out of school/camp/swim team Monday fun" weekdays all to itself.  Cruella is too "adult" and Peter Rabbit 2 is the more "known" pic vs Spirit Untamed, so it wanted to get 3 weeks of clear kid box office before the July dump of kids' movies start.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

21 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's all about getting the audience for "out of school/camp/swim team Monday fun" weekdays all to itself.  Cruella is too "adult" and Peter Rabbit 2 is the more "known" pic vs Spirit Untamed, so it wanted to get 3 weeks of clear kid box office before the July dump of kids' movies start.

No I get that. I’m saying it moved to late to make the June 11 release date common knowledge. For the Chicagoland area at least,  most theaters weren’t even showing as a film coming out this week until like Tuesday. Hence why I expect it to somewhat disappoint this weekend but hold incredibly well over the weekdays and next weekend (the mostly marketed release date)

• Like 1

With WB not mentioning ITH Thursday numbers and a BOGO not being quite as awesome a deal as "free popcorn" Saturday for Peter Rabbit, does Peter Rabbit have the chance to upset In The Heights for the top spot this weekend?

If I was betting, I'd say PR2 releasing Thursday numbers and In The Heights not doing so makes this scenario way more possible than I'd have thought...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

I’m so hyped to see ITH next Friday when it opens here in the UK. 
That it’s already out in 2160p HDR for the world to devour at their leisure is an absolute joke from Warner Bros. I know I keep saying this with the HBO Max policy, but man alive. 

They delay the movie’s release a year, and it’s clearly meant to be a crown jewel audience musical phenomenon - and then they put it out online day one.  Just as audiences and the theaters are roaring back. 
WB are meant to be a gold standard for movies. This is arguably their massive Oscar play movie, as well as one of the biggest movies of the year. It’s Lin Manuel Miranda FFS!!! 

Oh well. Who knows what this might have done. 

I cannot wait to see the back of this day and date/premium access garbage. 

• Like 4