Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

I’ve heard “avengers  fatigue” and “superhero fatigue” twice this weekend in person. 

I blame all the TV shows. 

(off topic but Falcon & Winter Soldier is a chore to sit through, still only on episode 4). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Was Birds of Prey flopping a sign of superhero fatigue?

Or did it commit the cardinal sin of alienating it's target audience. 

Superhero fatigue exists only in the mind of those who wish for it.   

BoP just seemed to be targeting a small audience.

• Like 2

Just now, grey ghost said:

Was Birds of Prey flopping a sign of superhero fatigue?

Or did it commit the cardinal sin of alienating it's target audience. 

Birds of Prey had more to do with the ridiculous R-Rating, coming of off the horrific Suicide Squad, and the studio overestimating the popularity of the Harley character outside of bad halloween costumes. 

If they had a more action heavy film and focused on the BOP characters more prominently I think they couldve done something big. In the end they took something that couldve been about 4 leading action women, each with franchise potential outside of BOP, and made a movie about just 1. I keep forgetting the DCEU now has a Batgirl, Question, Huntress, and Black Canary as they were essentially sidelined in their own film.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Legion of Lokis said:

Superhero fatigue exists only in the mind of those who wish for it.   

BoP just seemed to be targeting a small audience.

Yeh it’s certainly found it’s audience anyway: BOP just spent it’s 50th consecutive week in the UK film chart. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Disagree about mediocre/bad WOM on most of them. 

Spoiler

Wonder Woman 1984 2.8x 

The Little Things 3.23x

Judas and the Black Messiah 2.7x 

Those Who Wish Me Dead 2.57x 

Tom & Jerry 3.3x 

The Conjuring 3 ?

Mortal Kombat 1.8x

Godzilla Vs Kong 3.16x 

I’d only describe MK’s legs as outright “bad”.  But it is extremely fanboy driven. 

3x isn't really all that great during pandemic when box office was more spread out. Raya isn't some great film legging 7x. Croods 2 going 6x. Even The Marksman went for something like 5x.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

In light of the poor performance of ITH, what do we think about the potential of WSS? It will surely do better, but i was dreaming of something over 200M...

Ehh, probably like 115M or something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

3x isn't really all that great during pandemic when box office was more spread out. Raya isn't some great film legging 7x. Croods 2 going 6x. Even The Marksman went for something like 5x.

We know Raya’s wasn’t to do with WOM, it was a lower than expected opening weekend and 3 months with no competition. Plus it wasn’t free at no extra charge from home. Croods 2 played in a much quiet market; again with months of no competition. 

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

In light of the poor performance of ITH, what do we think about the potential of WSS? It will surely do better, but i was dreaming of something over 200M...

i think 200m is too much, but i do think that 130-140m is a good target. 

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

We know Raya’s wasn’t to do with WOM, it was a lower than expected opening weekend and 3 months with no competition. Plus it wasn’t free at no extra charge from home. Croods 2 played in a much quiet market; again with months of no competition. 

And that explains why 3x is not really a good trending in early 2021.

More so when except GvK nothing really opened well.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

38 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not convinced ITH would've done much better pre-pandemic without the HBO Max release. This feels like another Mary Poppins Returns where we overestimated its appeal on paper. Yes, Lin Manuel Miranda is very popular from Hamilton. Yes, Jon M. Chu is fresh off Crazy Rich Asians, a big box office success. However, ITH is based off a musical that only lasted three years on Broadway and isn't in the public consciousness or popularity of a show like Rent or Dear Evan Hansen. The jury is still out on how the latter performs in a few months (I expect more than ITH at least lol), and obviously Rent's adaptation was bogged by a weak reception. I was expecting 150M+ pre-pandemic and even over 110-120M this summer, but the underperformance (if not bomb considering WB spent 50M to acquire it in addition to the 55M budget) isn't entirely shocking.

Start a DEH>ITH club then coward

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

And that explains why 3x is not really a good trending in early 2021.

More so when except GvK nothing really opened well.

You offered up 3 films that weren’t free to watch at home. 

This place is getting really tiring 😅

52 minutes ago, Legion of Lokis said:

Man, if only Luca was coming out next weekend. Even with PA it would be a big shot in the arm.

Has there been any chatter surrounding Luca at all? Feels like the first Pixar movie in history where absolutely no one is talking about it. Hard to tell if that's a side effect of the fact it was announced it was going to be a Disney+ exclusive right after its marketing began.

• Like 2