Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Nope. Releasing in BC, Canada on 15th June. Should reach $50M.

Demon Slayer is already sold out at my theater for Tuesday opening. I’m fairly certain it will do decently well in Canada.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

So ITH is basically the next Rock of Ages :lol:

It doesn't have Tom Cruise singing "I wanna know what love is" into Malin Ackerman's asshole though, so which is the better movie in the end?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

That’s great, considering Joker was the biggest of the whole year. Any 2021 totals for BOP?

I know Wonder Woman 1984 is still the biggest of 2021 so far and it’s first week on disc (after two weeks #1 on downloads alone) of 72k is still the biggest single week of the year.

Where can we see the disc sales? The-Numbers hasn't updated past January 17th.

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Everyone is watching it on HBO MAX.

Are they though? I mean. that can be assumed but is there any evidence of that?

Edited by poweranimals

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve heard “avengers  fatigue” and “superhero fatigue” twice this weekend in person. 

I blame all the TV shows. 

(off topic but Falcon & Winter Soldier is a chore to sit through, still only on episode 4). 

Falcon & the Winter Soldier is terrible. Super generic and Mackie and Stan aren't exactly great actors either.

Contrast that with Hiddleston in Loki's first episode. Night and day.

The first two are side characters and it really shows, but the material was also pretty bad. Reminiscent of all the bad Marvel and superhero movies. Really B-grade TV. If they continue with FATWS quality, it will only hurt the brand. Probably doesn't help that there are 'superhero' series like The Boys (which I hate tho) and Umbrella Academy. I would mention the Marvel TV shows but I haven't watched any besides Daredevil, and that became pretty bad too. But it's first couple seasons were a lot better than FATWS.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

8 hours ago, Maggie said:

[115M] bad for pre-pandemic standards. It would be ok-ish for current standards. Still disappointing for Spielberg. Ansel's career could die if it flops. :stretcher:

Not really.  When I did my ITH v WSS club (which is now dead, thanks COVID and HBO MAX), I found that Spielberg's average DOM of late -- even with December openings/legs -- was about 98M.  So 115M feels very on par.

I have yet to see the film.  I refuse to watch it on HBO MAX, and with my IMAX theater being closed, it's basically drive to Boston or compromise and go see it at the sub-par theater that's still open.  (The theater is very nice, but it still has the aisle down the center without stadium seats, so it just sucks for that perfect experience I want from ITH.)  Hopefully we can get to Boston this week.

In the meantime, it's nice to see everybody back and animated here.  We're probably in for a few more of these weekends until December.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Has there been any chatter surrounding Luca at all? Feels like the first Pixar movie in history where absolutely no one is talking about it. Hard to tell if that's a side effect of the fact it was announced it was going to be a Disney+ exclusive right after its marketing began.

And people still want to argue that streaming only movies have the same value as theatrical releases. They don't.

It doesn't take a genius to see it - but movie execs seem to be idiots. 

Many of these "streaming" films in the past year and a half of covid only have carry-over prestige from being initially a theatrical release and having those marketing efforts etc. 

DTV movies have been around for decades and hardly make any dent in public consciousness or awards or anything really. Do we really think that stigma has gone away in a couple years? Until the streamers actually make a streaming film an event (I suppose Premier Access is kind of a way) these films will be lumped into DTV - not good enough for theatrical. 

Luca for Pixar, animation, Disney, film/box office followers might still have that prestige, but if it's true in America that that link was lost before marketing started or whatever, then it could already be the first Pixar film to have that baked in perspective of not being good enough irregardless of the quality of the final product. 

As someone mentioned before, HBO has made (apparently) great DTV movies before, but public awareness is pretty much non-existent. There are no secondary marketing channels or etc. It's just stupid to give up box office. 

Until the streamers/studios find a way to reverse that perception, it'll stick. The quality people see in their libraries are mostly going to be original specialty limited series or series in general, past popular series and past theatrical releases. No one cares about DTV filler. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BK007 said:

And people still want to argue that streaming only movies have the same value as theatrical releases. They don't.

It doesn't take a genius to see it - but movie execs seem to be idiots. 

Many of these "streaming" films in the past year and a half of covid only have carry-over prestige from being initially a theatrical release and having those marketing efforts etc. 

DTV movies have been around for decades and hardly make any dent in public consciousness or awards or anything really. Do we really think that stigma has gone away in a couple years? Until the streamers actually make a streaming film an event (I suppose Premier Access is kind of a way) these films will be lumped into DTV - not good enough for theatrical. 

Luca for Pixar, animation, Disney, film/box office followers might still have that prestige, but if it's true in America that that link was lost before marketing started or whatever, then it could already be the first Pixar film to have that baked in perspective of not being good enough irregardless of the quality of the final product. 

As someone mentioned before, HBO has made (apparently) great DTV movies before, but public awareness is pretty much non-existent. There are no secondary marketing channels or etc. It's just stupid to give up box office. 

Until the streamers/studios find a way to reverse that perception, it'll stick. The quality people see in their libraries are mostly going to be original specialty limited series or series in general, past popular series and past theatrical releases. No one cares about DTV filler. 

The only DTV movies that have made any impact in the popular culture in any way are DCOMs.

24 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Falcon & the Winter Soldier is terrible. Super generic and Mackie and Stan aren't exactly great actors either.

Contrast that with Hiddleston in Loki's first episode. Night and day.

The first two are side characters and it really shows, but the material was also pretty bad. Reminiscent of all the bad Marvel and superhero movies. Really B-grade TV. If they continue with FATWS quality, it will only hurt the brand. Probably doesn't help that there are 'superhero' series like The Boys (which I hate tho) and Umbrella Academy. I would mention the Marvel TV shows but I haven't watched any besides Daredevil, and that became pretty bad too. But it's first couple seasons were a lot better than FATWS.

Mackie and Stan are both supporting actors and can even stand out in those roles, but are really not meant to carry whole projects themselves. I mean isn't that why Daniel Bruhl kind of became the most popular character in the show lol

Compared to Olsen/Bettany and Hiddleston, there was a massive charisma vacuum in TF&WS. 

• Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

But the star of In The Heights is supposed to be a big star , cover of Time and all. Was gonna be the next Michael B Jordan but may be the next Taylor Kitsch.

I saw the movie today (there were like 60 other people in a big theater which is on the "eh" side) and Ramos is really great in it! Better than any performance I've ever seen Taylor Kitsch give. He'll likely continue to get good work even if he doesn't become a full-blown A-lister.

• Like 2

Also I got the trailer for Tick Tick...Boom! before my showing which was my first time ever seeing a trailer for a Netflix movie before anything showing at a major chain. Looks like they are indeed committed to giving a pretty notable theatrical release before streaming first, which would be an amusing turn of events if it were Netflix and not a major Hollywood studio giving LMM the royal theatrical exclusivity treatment in 2021.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, Felandria said:

Paramount must be feeling good right now, having the two most recent $100 million grossers after a rough couple years.

a little surprised some studios didn’t rerelease movies that were close to $100 million in the last few months to push them over the top and get some press “Insert Film Here clears $100 Million domestic”

But Paramount also sold off rights to most of their other films. Of course we don't know their critical reception yet, but if any of them were going to be hits, they just lost themselves IP in an IP/content war.

11 hours ago, grim22 said:

This guy is so weird

People like JamesWorthyClap think they represent more people than they actually do. What kind of idiotic take is that? But Twitter is full of that and what makes Twitter a joke is that so few people are actually on it, that the "hot takes" are actually functionally single takes. Another example of how Western media amplifies certain viewpoints when it's reflective of hardly anyone.

11 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Even before the pandemic the trend was going towards a shorter marketing window - the first trailer for Us dropped at Christmas for a March release, Hustlers had its first trailer in July and came out in September. The social media embargo for ITH lifted what feels like months ago, all the "Movie theaters are back!" reactions from critics seem to come from a time before big showy movies were getting released again.

I think there was a feeling this would be a Crazy Rich Asians for Latinos, especially with the same director and all, but the storyline of CRA was pretty clear from the trailers. Asian-Americans aren't a monolith either but the storyline there spoke to a broader issue (East-West culture clash) relatable to people of different backgrounds. And the mother-in-law hating her son's girlfriend is a very common plot for rom-coms the world over.

From the trailer a couple months ago, In the Heights is a musical about dreams and...gentrification? And some couples get together, maybe. Haha, we really should have seen an underperformance coming...

I just don't think the musical audience is as big as people think it is, but lots of other good analysis so far in this thread.

10 hours ago, The Panda said:

I think where it’s hurt the most is in the legs.

Musicals seem to attract a lot of “marginal audiences” who’ll go see it based on word of mouth (which leads to leggier performances) and repeat viewings. Neither of those will happen as much when it’s available to view for free through streaming, as:

1. Marginal/On the Fence first time viewers will not have as strong of a preference to see it in theaters as compared to say a Godzilla fan, especially since the WoM won’t be based on the spectacle of the experience. So, these viewers probably opt to see it on streaming rather than go to the theater. 

2. Musicals seem to get quite a bit of repeat viewings from fans. After seeing a movie once in theaters, I’d suspect if it’s easily available to stream most viewers would save the money and watch the repeat viewings at home.

A musical like ITH priority probably had the majority of its theatrical audiences come from on the fence viewers and repeat viewers (both of which would usually help a movie develop strong legs but also both of which would be more inclined to choose a streaming option over a theater one).

tl;dr ITH is one of the HBO movies that probably gets screwed the most in terms of BO revenue.

I'm sure the deals aren't equal for all films, so it's kind of hard to say which ones benefit most and which ones get screwed. Wonder Woman 1984 probably made it out OK because BO wasn't great and reception wasn't either. Maybe ITH, if it were destined to not connect, would actually be better? Not sure anyone really knows.

10 hours ago, Maggie said:

Par made some good decisions selling crap like Without Remorse, Infinte etc. I doubt Snake Eyes will light the BO on fire tho. And there's the risky TG2...

Actually Infinite was used for Paramount+ so they didn't sell that to anyone. Don't know why they sold Coming 2 America, and although it may yet be bad, the Tomorrow War with Pratt would've been something I would've seen in cinemas and would have done well worldwide. 

• Like 1