Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

I don’t even think HBO Max hurt In The Heights as much as some people are suggesting, for it to have underperformed by this much I think that just says that there really wasn’t that much interest in it in the first place. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was weak on HBO Max as well. It’ll be interesting to see those figures if WB release them.

This was definitely an example of Twitter hype not representing real world hype.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Lokis Legion said:

Lmao, the FSS of ITH (10.4 or less) isn’t even top 2. Possibly will end up below C3 and outside the top 3. Absolutely floptacular.

I am eating week old cake to mourn the loss of my beloved heights, and the only hope for cinema remaining

I am fairly certain the strawberries are rotting but it’s what I deserve

• Sad 1

All Deadline weekend projections on Saturday overestimated, except PR2...

AQP2 - $12.5M to $11.7M

ITH - $13M to $11.4M

Peter Rabbit 2 $10.2M to $10.4M 

Conjuring 2 $11.3M to $10.02M

Cruella $6.8M to $6.7M

Spirit Untamed $2.9M to $2.5M

Edited by TwoMisfits

Without getting too political, just wondering if the current (and increasing) partisanship in America since Trump has had or is having any impact on the box office?

The views on the right veering into conspiracies and extremism is the antithesis of 'liberal' Hollywood. Are they still going to be able to turn off the cognitive dissonance? Or will they easily fall into herd mentality and reject it wholesale? Just look at how easy it is to convince the Chinese to turn against any movie/celebrity/person who they feel has slighted them. No reason that can't be reproduced elsewhere where a population is heavily propagandized to.

Look I saw Heights in a crowd of 250 people who cheered and laughed and applauded throughout; so I’m gonna continue living in my world where that happened and when Jon M Chu says “this is a movie I made for theaters” the audience applaudes and listens to him BWCAUSE THATS WHAT I SAW

• Like 1

From GvK's struggling to top 100m to MK's collapse, and now ITH disappointment , I don't know how many pieces of evidence we need to showcase the impact of HBO max on box office. If HBO max is really that useless and impactless, why was WB even bother launching them in the first place?    

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

All Deadline projections on Saturday overestimated, except PR2...

AQP2 - $12.5M to $11.7M

ITH - $13M to $11.4M

Conjuring 2 $11.3M to $10.02M

Peter Rabbit 2 $10.2M to $10.4M 

Cruella $6.8M to $6.7M

Spirit Untamed $2.9M to $2.5M

Saturday bump have been very weak lately even by summer standard. I guess people just prefer doing outdoor activities in sunny day

1 minute ago, BK007 said:

Without getting too political, just wondering if the current (and increasing) partisanship in America since Trump has had or is having any impact on the box office?

The views on the right veering into conspiracies and extremism is the antithesis of 'liberal' Hollywood. Are they still going to be able to turn off the cognitive dissonance? Or will they easily fall into herd mentality and reject it wholesale? Just look at how easy it is to convince the Chinese to turn against any movie/celebrity/person who they feel has slighted them. No reason that can't be reproduced elsewhere where a population is heavily propagandized to.

monsters-inc-confused-kid.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Look I saw Heights in a crowd of 250 people who cheered and laughed and applauded throughout; so I’m gonna continue living in my world where that happened and when Jon M Chu says “this is a movie I made for theaters” the audience applaudes and listens to him BWCAUSE THATS WHAT I SAW

250 people? That's like half the opening weekend audience of In The Heights

• Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I feel like it’s more that none of the trailers really made a case for why we “needed” to see the film. I watched and enjoyed Hamilton last year on Disney+ (Although I wouldn’t have paid to see that in a cinema) and I like Lin Manuel, but the trailers for this left me cold and I never really saw what the fuss was about (I feel like a similar fate awaits Last Night in Soho which feels more like we’re in for a Scott Pilgrim 2.0 style BO performance rather than Baby Driver). Plus, maybe after a year of struggle, people are turned off by a film about struggling against gentrification. I know this is a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking, but I feel there’s something to it.

Edited by SnokesLegs

ITH is just so different from Hamilton that it's pretty hard to get people invested just because its from the same guy who did Hamilton. Hamilton became a thing for a variety of reasons (and you can't underestimate the fact that it's kind of a known property that everyone learned about in school). 

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

ITH is just so different from Hamilton that it's pretty hard to get people invested just because its from the same guy who did Hamilton. Hamilton became a thing for a variety of reasons (and you can't underestimate the fact that it's kind of a known property that everyone learned about in school). 

What. How is it that different from Hamilton