Jump to content
Eric Madrigal

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think what we can all take from this is that Lin Manuel Miranda should be banned from movies. Send him back to the annoying theater nerds.

My mom’s takeaway from Heights was “I would’ve liked it a lot more if Lin Manuel Miranda didn’t put himself in it” so you’re probs right

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think what we can all take from this is that Lin Manuel Miranda should be banned from movies. Send him back to the annoying theater nerds.

 

I mean he can write some music for movies but definitely they should not be advertising movies on his name lmao

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

What. How is it that different from Hamilton

Because Hamilton is a well known IP even outside the musical niche. In the Heights is just "that thing he did before Hamilton"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder if we're all overestimation LMM's popularity. With both this and the Mary Poppins sequel underperforming, I don't think that the LMM name really affects movies much. Makes me even wonder if Hamilton would've done as well as I expected had it released theatrically 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blankments said:

My mom’s takeaway from Heights was “I would’ve liked it a lot more if Lin Manuel Miranda didn’t put himself in it” so you’re probs right

If James Corden had his role in Mary Poppins 2 it would've been the hit people were predicting it was gonna be.

  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

What. How is it that different from Hamilton

Hamilton has a gimmick that's very eye catching (founding fathers rapping and played by actors of color). In the Heights... I don't think anyone could tell from the trailers what the plot even was? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Wonder if Cruella pulls #1 WW. 👀

So far Cruella 24.3M weekend.

Peter Rabbit 2 is 21.1M.

AQP 2 last weekend OS-C-Russia was $9.6M. Cruella can afford $9.5M.

 

Will need Conjuring 3 to drop 50% in OS, which is doable I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CoolioD1 said:

If James Corden had his role in Mary Poppins 2 it would've been the hit people were predicting it was gonna be.

Now I’m weirdly imagining Lin playing Corden’s role in the Prom lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

What. How is it that different from Hamilton

 

Hamilton had the current Broadway lift and the advantage of being "the 1st" for a breakout play focused on catchy rap-focused songs, heavy minority casting, etc...and it had the advantage of being a semi-known story cast slightly on its head, vs a totally unknown one.

 

Novelty sells big...but it doesn't tend to last...

 

I actually agree with the article above that plot and song seemed to be lacking in the ads (I mentioned yesterday it was ALWAYS the same song, and that one isn't a grand slam song, but more a double)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody remember when Rock Of Ages bombed almost 10 years ago? That’s how I feel about the performance of In The Heights. Both films just looked mediocre and are also by the same studio!

 

Peter Rabbit 2 was a sequel we really didn’t need in all honesty! And A Quiet Place 2 joining the $100 million club for the first time since Sonic The Hedgehog is wonderful! 

  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

My mom’s takeaway from Heights was “I would’ve liked it a lot more if Lin Manuel Miranda didn’t put himself in it” so you’re probs right

 

He lacks the superior vocal heft you expect from Broadway stars...I mean, again, in baseball terms, his voice is fine for a choir (so it's a single), but people tend to want Three Tenors grand slam talent...

Edited by TwoMisfits
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

From GvK's struggling to top 100m to MK's collapse, and now ITH disappointment , I don't know how many pieces of evidence we need to showcase the impact of HBO max on box office. If HBO max is really that useless and impactless, why was WB even bother launching them in the first place?    

this has little to do with hbo max. Just think they wasn't much appeal as we thought.

 

Godzilla struggling to hit 100m is not an indicator at all. With so much competition and new movies coming .it's legs are 3x  it's opening which is good .it's at 435m with japan to open July.

 

MK was mediocre at best .yeah it's legs were bad but it still opened well

 

Conjuring which opened last week opened at 24m and a 58% drop for horror ain't bad considering it's free on hbo.

 

Most of WB films this year have opened above expectations despite simultaneous release.

 

With the embargo being dropped early good reviews and moviegoing on the rise this should have capitalized on that but instead Opens 9m below projections which  just shows not enough were willing to go to theatre for this and I don't think it would have opened that much higher even with theatrical only.

 

 

 

Edited by Liiviig 1998
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

He lacks the superior vocal heft you expect from Broadway stars...I mean, again, in baseball terms, his voice is fine for a choir (so it's a single), but people tend to want Three Tenors grand slam talent...

Well, all I’ll say is if you see Heights, you’ll understand why it’s a weird dealbreaker lol. I’d honestly label it as a cameo, but Mom was like “no it’s bigger than that”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

this has little to do with hbo max. Just think they wasn't much appeal as we thought.

 

Godzilla struggling to hit 100m is not an indicator at all. With so much competition and new movies coming .it's legs are 3x  it's opening which is good .it's at 435m with japan to open July.

 

MK was mediocre at best .yeah it's legs were bad but it still opened well

 

Conjuring which opened last week opened at 24m and a 58% drop for horror ain't bad considering it's free on hbo.

 

Most of WB films this year have opened above expectations despite simultaneous release.

 

With the embargo being dropped early good reviews and moviegoing on the rise this should have capitalized on that but instead Opens 9m below projections which  just shows not enough were willing to go to theatre for this and I don't think it would have opened that much higher even with theatrical only.

 

 

 

Then what evidence or date we need to finally concede to the idea that HBO max hurt box office? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

He lacks the superior vocal heft you expect from Broadway stars...I mean, again, in baseball terms, his voice is fine for a choir (so it's a single), but people tend to want Three Tenors grand slam talent...

Honestly I watched the Hamilton recording on Disney+ and he’s a mediocre singer and is also so clearly the worst actor on the stage. Definitely a guy who should just be working behind the scenes but his ego won’t let him. I mean casting yourself as the great genius every woman on the show wants to fuck, c’mon man.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Heights flop because everybody is waiting for mystery Cannes blockbusters F9:

 

 

F9 DOM opening > Chinatown 3 CHN opening = $399M.

  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Then what evidence or date we need to finally concede to the idea that HBO max hurt box office? 

HBO Max viewing figures are the only thing that will settle that. If it was disproportionately huge for Max then it obviously hurt it theatrically, if the viewing figures were weak then it’s definitely a case of overhyped demand. We’ll only know that if WB release the numbers which you’d imagine they’ll do to try and save face if it got good numbers. If they stay quiet then we know it didn’t do well there either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

ITH is just so different from Hamilton that it's pretty hard to get people invested just because its from the same guy who did Hamilton. Hamilton became a thing for a variety of reasons (and you can't underestimate the fact that it's kind of a known property that everyone learned about in school). 

If you watch ITH, you can see the similarities to Hamilton in terms of music and that it's very song-heavy (compared to a La La Land), and Anthony Ramos sounds a lot like Lin-Manuel with the rap-singing. I guess you can say the leads are both striving for a better future, but "Racebent Founding Fathers Hip-Hop Musical" is very different than "struggles of a regular guy running a corner store". The trailers didn't lie: ITH really is about dreams and gentrification with some romance and Dreamer commentary thrown in. It's beautiful with a very familiar message in the end, but not the easiest sell compared to other musicals-turned-movies. I'm impressed it got the budget it did, though WB is probably regretting it now.

 

I am not sure how the Twitter controversies about colorism or ITH not being true representation of Washington Heights really hurt the movies, there were similar online complaints about Crazy Rich Asians (the lead guy is mixed, it ignores lower class people in Singapore) but that was a big hit anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.