Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

• Founder / Operator
2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

With WB not mentioning ITH Thursday numbers and a BOGO not being quite as awesome a deal as "free popcorn" Saturday for Peter Rabbit, does Peter Rabbit have the chance to upset In The Heights for the top spot this weekend?

If I was betting, I'd say PR2 releasing Thursday numbers and In The Heights not doing so makes this scenario way more possible than I'd have thought...

To be fair, WB had already announced to media earlier this week they wouldn't be reporting Thursday numbers before anything actually opened. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Founder / Operator

A couple of off-record sources warning the estimates were looking light as of afternoon. We'll see if that pans out tonight and tomorrow. I've seen markets with tons of tickets sold tonight, but apparently others not doing as well. Oddball movie so far.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Shawn said:

A couple of off-record sources warning the estimates were looking light as of afternoon. We'll see if that pans out tonight and tomorrow. I've seen markets with tons of tickets sold tonight, but apparently others not doing as well. Oddball movie so far.

IN THE FLOPS 😔 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

So AQP2 will soon be the biggest film of 2021 and the first movie to cross 100 m since Sonic the Hedgehog (early 2020).

So the big question is what's the next movie to take the top spot.

F9 is not getting the best reception and Black Widow is a hybrid release. So it's anyone's guess.

Paramount must be feeling good right now, having the two most recent $100 million grossers after a rough couple years.

a little surprised some studios didn’t rerelease movies that were close to $100 million in the last few months to push them over the top and get some press “Insert Film Here clears $100 Million domestic”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

In the Heights feels like it will be very city heavy for sure. I watched it, liked it well enough but it really could have used a trim by about 15 minutes or so. I can think of one subplot that could have been excised to make it about 2 hours which would have been less daunting to the general audience.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Yeah, In the Heights was always destined to play much better in certain areas compared to others, especially in NYC (being based on a Tony-winning Broadway musical). If they release a market report I imagine big cities like that will easily be at the top of the list by a sizeable margin.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Honestly kinda hate how petty Warner is being with numbers. Have to wait for saturday with no clue on how the opening of ITH went, no updates on most movies during the weekdays. Gosh, we had to wait almost 3 weeks for the global numbers of MK to be updated.

Warners next Sunday: “We’re thrilled to report that In The Heights has grossed over $40m in its first 11 days at the box office. It’s surpassed all our expectations and we couldn’t be happier with its performance.”

• Haha 11
  • Knock It Off 1

8 hours ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Honestly kinda hate how petty Warner is being with numbers. Have to wait for saturday with no clue on how the opening of ITH went, no updates on most movies during the weekdays. Gosh, we had to wait almost 3 weeks for the global numbers of MK to be updated.

Unlike the other studios, Warner Bros actually made the effort to support cinemas during lockdowns. They can do what they like now as far as I’m concerned. 

Plus, this could be their 7th #1 with their HBOMax day and date releases. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 3

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

7.9/ 8 on imdb with more than 4k vote for In the Heights.

2 days ago it was at 6.5/10 because of the incels giving 1 to everything critically accalaimed with minorities in it. So people are loving it. 

Websites need to do more to stop this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

In the Heights feels like it will be very city heavy for sure. I watched it, liked it well enough but it really could have used a trim by about 15 minutes or so. I can think of one subplot that could have been excised to make it about 2 hours which would have been less daunting to the general audience.

I personally thought the movie felt insanely long (like, the Snyder Cut felt shorter to me), but is a 2 hour 20 minute movie really that long? People seem fine with watching superhero movies that are that long.

• Knock It Off 2

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

My problem is most movies today don't earn their length. Feels like a lot of these big studio flicks carry an extra 10-15 minutes of excess because the filmmakers just couldn't let it go. 

I agree, but I think a musical being 2 hr 20 minutes long is completely fine and more acceptable than most big superhero movies being that long. Hell, I'd say we need more musicals that are like 3 hours long.

• ...wtf 1