Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Peter Rabbit's kind of an inexplicable one tbh, I just genuinely don't understand it's weekend trend (nearly 1M Thursday, 4M Friday, and only 10M weekend?). Seems strange for a kids film. 

Maybe Thursday previews are suddenly going to become much more important than they were even 2 years ago.

Well, just 3.1M True friday. The IM and Sat bump from true fri are just a tad worse than SLOP2

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Peter Rabbit's kind of an inexplicable one tbh, I just genuinely don't understand it's weekend trend (nearly 1M Thursday, 4M Friday, and only 10M weekend?). Seems strange for a kids film. 

Maybe Thursday previews are suddenly going to become much more important than they were even 2 years ago.

Honestly I think the big issue affecting all these movies is just the yearn to go outside. People have their days off on Saturday, and after being cooped inside for months, they'd rather do outdoors stuff rather than be in a dark theater for 2 hours. Saturday bumps this weekend are pretty bad all across the board.

11 minutes ago, datpepper said:

To be fair to Sonic 2, unlike those other films, the first did seem to go out of its way to set up a sequel, and it has a fanbase that actually seems excited for it. It could buck the trend. Or not. Idk.

I'm as big a Sonic fan as you can get, and I'm super excited to see Tails and Knuckles kick some ass. But like 75% of the hype for the last movie was the redesign controversy, which won't be a thing for the next one. They are trying to lean a bit on the nostalgia angle with adding in more classic Sonic characters, but I don't think that's really enough, since nostalgia really only works for the first movie.

Just now, Eric is Full of Pride said:

I'm as big a Sonic fan as you can get, and I'm super excited to see Tails and Knuckles kick some ass. But like 75% of the hype for the last movie was the redesign controversy, which won't be a thing for the next one. They are trying to lean a bit on the nostalgia angle with adding in more classic Sonic characters, but I don't think that's really enough, since nostalgia really only works for the first movie.

Adults (like me) went to watch the first Sonic but it truly was a kids film. It's passable but very obvious that adults and teens were an afterthought for the producers.

I think youre right. I think the second film might drop similar to how Ninja Turtles 2 dropped from the first.

• Like 1

When you only produce sequels to over performers, mean reversion will kick you in the teeth more often than not.   

That said, you know, I obviously don’t have some kind of clever “solution” to that statistical phenomenon. It’s not like you should disproportionately  greenlight sequels to flops instead 😛 

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

Adults (like me) went to watch the first Sonic but it truly was a kids film. It's passable but very obvious that adults and teens were an afterthought for the producers.

I think youre right. I think the second film might drop similar to how Ninja Turtles 2 dropped from the first.

Obviously Paramount's in way more dire straits than Warner, but it is commendable how WB didn't fast track Detective Pikachu 2. Sony or whatever would have probably put another movie out for 2022 only for it to flop, but Warner knew people were "one and done" with that series and just let it lay down peacefully. Good on them.

8 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

When you only produce sequels to over performers, mean reversion will kick you in the teeth more often than not.   

That said, you know, I obviously don’t have some kind of clever “solution” to that statistical phenomenon. It’s not like you should disproportionately  greenlight sequels to flops instead 😛 

Maybe make more non-sequels. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

That would be good for everyone. Would mean a Sonic movie reboot later down the road that is actually like the games.

Bro I already have a whole ass Sonic trilogy in my head. When that first Sonic poster dropped, I was this close to just going to film school, solely so I could give Sonic the Bumblebee treatment. I would get 97% on Rotten Tomatoes and shit. The people would have loved it.

• Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Maybe make more non-sequels. 😜

Great idea.  

You need a non-sequel overperformer every once in a while so you can try to crank out 9 sequels to it ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always said rabbits go with Easter...Peter Rabbit 1 had the great spring run...PR2 should have released then, even with Covid issues b/c rabbits and spring always are a pull...

It's hard to compare PR1 and PR2, when one had the advantage of being "the Easter season" movie...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

IDK, but Green Book was surprisingly big in China - it's the bargaining stage for this stan, hoping there’s a miracle for ITH.

Because Green Book was awesome movie (IDC what Americans say) + Oscar win.

ITH I don't even see a show listed so far if it is in fact releasing there. Considering no one cared for Crazy Rich Asian, and my box office guts, will be surprised if it do $5M in China

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Because Green Book was awesome movie (IDC what Americans say) + Oscar win.

ITH I don't even see a show listed so far if it is in fact releasing there. Considering no one cared for Crazy Rich Asian, and my box office guts, will be surprised if it do $5M in China

I loved Green Book! It was a fantastic movie and it deserved to win Best Picture that year! Anyways, ITH doesn't have any hope of making profitability now, sadly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

In a vain attempt to try to move on from Scott M, I know this board was never in love with the first Peter Rabbit, but I do think there's not enough discussion about Peter Rabbit 2's underperformance.  Near as I can tell, it's not streaming anywhere, so really can't use that as an excuse.  The first one was a pretty leggy hit for its OW. And kids flicks have been something of the one thing that has weathered the pandemic better than others.

Yet this is just kinda sitting there.  Can't imagine caps were that much of a factor as it doesn't seem to need that many screens to get to a decent OW.

Maybe one was enough for the DOM market.  Or maybe it'll do something of a mini version of the first one and leg it out to something decent.

Still, if folks want to worry about The State of Movie Theaters, Peter Rabbit 2 just kinda flopping about (pun intended for once) is... Well not worrying in my mind, but I think it warrants more discussion,

Paddington 2 made less that Paddington 1, despite being the greatest movie ever made*, so it’s not at all surprising.

3 hours ago, datpepper said:

To be fair to Sonic 2, unlike those other films, the first did seem to go out of its way to set up a sequel, and it has a fanbase that actually seems excited for it. It could buck the trend. Or not. Idk.

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to Sonic 2. I'm interested to see what they'll do with Tails and Knuckles coming in.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1