Jump to content
Eric Riley

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

Recommended Posts

Aladdin dropped 42.5% in its 3rd weekend and legged 4.9x post that. 

PoTC 5 dropped 51.5% in its 3rd weekend and legged 3.5x post that.

 

Cruella drop is 38.7%, better than Aladdin. 5x legs will take it to $90M. $100M looks dicey, and matching Aladdin won't be easy at all, but I guess Canada reopening will help so $90M is reasonable expectation.

 

AQP2 dropped 39.5%. Great hold. 4-5x legs will take it to $156-168M. Great. 

  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Not Cool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, grim22 said:

 

 

If he had said "what was the last musical based on a stage show released in summer that was a hit" he might have had something but obviously as others said this is inaccurate. Rocketman and Mamma Mia 2 (which entered the world as a movie and not as a play unlike its predecessor) both did really well, even if they relied entirely on people's fondness for iconic discography.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Peter Rabbit 2 really that surprising? Sequels to mediocre family films almost always drop. 

 

And it's not like many of those, or even any of those got good reviews. Sing 2 will be the next one.

 

Or actually, maybe Boss Baby 2 which opens soon and inexplicably on streaming as well. Stupid from Universal - what happened to the 17-45 day exclusivity window? What was the point of making all those deals with theatres, and then abandoning it?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Is Peter Rabbit 2 really that surprising? Sequels to mediocre family films almost always drop. 

 

And it's not like many of those, or even any of those got good reviews. Sing 2 will be the next one.

 

Or actually, maybe Boss Baby 2 which opens soon and inexplicably on streaming as well. Stupid from Universal - what happened to the 17-45 day exclusivity window? What was the point of making all those deals with theatres, and then abandoning it?

 

DreamWorks Animation's best days are pretty much behind them at this point, as projects like Spirit Untamed prove. Guessing they get turned into a mostly "streaming exclusive" studio soon since that's the direction they've been headed in for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and let's not forget that most people on this forum, in the industry and on Twitter are privileged. ITH might have banked on the Hispanic audience turning up, but they are one of the worst affected by covid. Do they have money to throw at this? 

 

Inequality was already awful pre-pandemic and it just made it worse. Kind of like all the tone-deaf WFH articles and opinion pieces when so many sectors cannot WFH. (And the even more tone deaf CEOs and billionaires) Social circles/spheres/bubbles have never been smaller it seems. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, filmlover said:

DreamWorks Animation's best days are pretty much behind them at this point, as projects like Spirit Untamed prove. Guessing they get turned into a mostly "streaming exclusive" studio soon since that's the direction they've been headed in for a while.

 

I think what's sad is that they made two great trilogies in Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon and they just weren't that successful. Yet Ice Age and Despicable Me went on and on. 

 

I don't get how Illumination has been so successful with so many crappy films. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BK007 said:

 

I think what's sad is that they made two great trilogies in Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon and they just weren't that successful. Yet Ice Age and Despicable Me went on and on. 

 

I don't get how Illumination has been so successful with so many crappy films. 

 

Adults and kids like the Minions and Sid.

 

Aaaand that's pretty much it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Warner Bros. vaguely reaffirmed the notion that streaming isn’t cannibalizing box office ticket sales, with the studio’s president of domestic distribution Jeff Goldstein telling the Associated Press on Sunday morning that HBO Max wasn’t entirely at fault for the film’s less-than-stellar turnout in theaters.

 

“Our experience, which is backed up on ‘In the Heights,’ is that if the movie hits a high level in theaters, it hits a high level on the service,” Goldstein told the outlet. “If it hits a low level in theaters, it hits a low level on HBO Max. They’re really very comparable.”

 

That suggests that “In the Heights” failed to draw a big audience on HBO Max in addition to striking out with ticket buyers. And that’s a problem. “In the Heights” carries a $55 million production budget, which means it needs to gross roughly $110 million at the global box office to cover that cost. But that doesn’t include the tens of millions of dollars more that Warner Bros. spent marketing the film. Plus, the $55 million figure doesn’t factor in the millions of backend that Warner Bros. paid Miranda and director Jon M. Chu to keep them happy after the studio decided to put the movie on Max. That probably means that “In the Heights” needs to gross in the $200 million range in order to be a financial success.

 

To be fair, streaming complicates that math, because the film’s value is not just dependent on its box office figures. Warner Bros.’ parent company WarnerMedia is also looking to add HBO Max subscribers, but it’s unclear if “In the Heights” sparked new signups.

 

HBO Max Isn't to Blame After 'In the Heights' Fizzles at Box Office - Variety

 

Also:

 

Quote

The film over-indexed on both Coasts, and particularly on the East Coast, where five of the top 10 theaters on Friday came from New York City alone. It also over-indexed among Latinos, who made up 40 percent of ticket buyers.

‘In the Heights’ Box Office: Musical Loses to ‘A Quiet Place 2’ in Surprise Upset – The Hollywood Reporter

 

Looks like lack of crossover appeal and the audience being limited to begin with were the main downfalls here. Oh well.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

HBO Max Isn't to Blame After 'In the Heights' Fizzles at Box Office - Variety

 

Also:

 

‘In the Heights’ Box Office: Musical Loses to ‘A Quiet Place 2’ in Surprise Upset – The Hollywood Reporter

 

Looks like lack of crossover appeal and the audience being limited to begin with were the main downfalls here. Oh well.

We may have insufficient data to support the claim that HBO is hurting ITH but one thing for sure, HBO max didn't help or elevate the movie either.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter Rabbit’s weak opening - maybe it indicates audiences are just waiting until this weekend for the annual Pixar summer event they always show up for in droves.  
 

Oh wait……

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our experience, which is backed up on ‘In the Heights,’ is that if the movie hits a high level in theaters, it hits a high level on the service,” Goldstein told the outlet. “If it hits a low level in theaters, it hits a low level on HBO Max. They’re really very comparable"

 

so Flop on HBO Max as well?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Peter Rabbit’s weak opening - maybe it indicates audiences are just waiting until this weekend for the annual Pixar summer event they always show up for in droves.  
 

Oh wait……

I don't know if I Laugh react this or Sad.

 

:sparta:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BK007 said:

Oh, and let's not forget that most people on this forum, in the industry and on Twitter are privileged. ITH might have banked on the Hispanic audience turning up, but they are one of the worst affected by covid. Do they have money to throw at this? 

 

Inequality was already awful pre-pandemic and it just made it worse. Kind of like all the tone-deaf WFH articles and opinion pieces when so many sectors cannot WFH. (And the even more tone deaf CEOs and billionaires) Social circles/spheres/bubbles have never been smaller it seems. 

What is WFH. Never mind I figured it out. Work from home.

 

in the Heights was a great movie. Too bad it flopped. Normally I would say the movie would find its audience later on home video but well, yeah. This won’t be the only flop this summer.

 

 

 

Edited by eddyxx
Link to post
Share on other sites

So they confirm the movie is a flop both in theaters and on HBO Max.

 

Which brings again the obvious in mind, people doesn't want or doesn't care about this movie anyway, and sadly this is why the debut is tepid.

 

This also kinda confirms that it would bomb even if it was theatrical exclusive.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, filmlover said:

HBO Max Isn't to Blame After 'In the Heights' Fizzles at Box Office - Variety

 

Also:

 

‘In the Heights’ Box Office: Musical Loses to ‘A Quiet Place 2’ in Surprise Upset – The Hollywood Reporter

 

Looks like lack of crossover appeal and the audience being limited to begin with were the main downfalls here. Oh well.

Looks like audiences were just not interested in a non-IP, non-CBM, bit overlong musical with no stars, at least not enough to make them want to venture to the theaters or press play on HBO Max.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Peter Rabbit’s weak opening - maybe it indicates audiences are just waiting until this weekend for the annual Pixar summer event they always show up for in droves.  
 

Oh wait……

After spending decade mostly making sequel, finally we got to see Pixar making bunch of original film, only to be dumped elsewhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://deadline.com/2021/06/in-the-heights-peter-rabbit-2-weekend-box-office-1234774162/
 

Quote

MONDAY AM UPDATE: It’s Monday morning, and a Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part II is still No. 1 for the weekend after a solid third Sunday of $3.5M sending the sequel’s 3-day to $12M, -38%, for a running total of $109.3M.

 

Warner Bros.’ In the Heights came in with $11.5M, after a $2.9M Sunday (which is still better than the $2.7M the studio was expecting). We delved into the various reasons why the Jon Chu-directed, Lin Manuel Miranda musical didn’t work in our previous updates below.

 

Warner Bros’ New Line’s Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It in its second weekend was able to out-peg Sony’s opener Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway$10.3M to $10.2M for third place. Conjuring 3 made $2.78M on Sunday (as opposed to $2.5M), while Peter Rabbit 2 did $2.55M (versus $2.75M).

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.