Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

2 minutes ago, Felipe said:

That number is terrible, and won't win the weekend.

I'm a WB cheerleader all year, but you gotta call it like it is...

PS - And that $5M is Thurs/Fri together, so $14M seems optimistic to me for the weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

not surprised at all personally, its free on hbo max , while i am not from the us , i personally wouldnt go to a movie theater to see this kind of a movie

ps i dont understand these reactions, i have nothing against the movie, but personally if i was to go to a movie theater , it would be for a movie like black widow

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 3

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

PR 2 for #1 😮

No Way Omg GIF by Sky

Damn, I did call that possibility yesterday...when one reports and one doesn't...the other one's numbers have to be worse...

Now, I know why they did free Saturday popcorn - they saw a shot to win the weekend with PR2 and went all in...

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

52 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Pretty sure this was already dead a while back, but it's kind of a bummer Raya won't reach Tenet. Kind of thought it would have been nice to see after such a bad opening. Oh well.

Apparently Disney is hiding Raya numbers even from profit participants

• Like 2

https://deadline.com/2021/06/in-the-heights-peter-rabbit-2-weekend-box-office-1234774162/

While it appeared that the summer box office was dusting itself off from the pandemic over the last two weeks, both newcomers Warner Bros. highly anticipated Jon M. Chu directed Lin-Manuel Miranda musical In the Heights and Sony’s Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway are currently filing less than spectacular results respectively with a No. 1 rank of $5M Friday, $13M 3-day and No. 4 place of $4M Friday, and $10.2M 30-day.

Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part IIas we told you, crossed $100M yesterday after a third Friday of $3.75M, -40%, on its way to a $12.5M 3-day (-35%) weekend in second. Don’t be surprised if the sequel reclaims the No. 1 spot this weekend, beating In the Heights, with a running total of $109.8M.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Felipe said:

Is that 5M Friday plus Thursday? If so, it could even go much lower.

The combination of being a musical just long enough to make people unsure about going to the theaters and being available on HBO Max hurting it. There's definitely a thing where people are less willing to sit through longer musicals as opposed to non-musicals.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

8 minutes ago, Felipe said:

Jesus christ in heaven!

At least Disney is making up some BO from the VOD releases. WB are just handing movies out for free.

The movie is great btw. I keep going back and playing my favourite songs. Hopefully more people come out. 

Edited by AJG
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

You keep talking about this game changing popcorn deal that I literally don’t see marketed anywhere I feel like I’m being gaslit

You aren't a parent...but Regal is the big chain for it (and it also REALLY booked PR2), although other smaller chains have also gone in on the "free small popcorn for ANY Saturday ticket"...so Saturday should be high for PR2 and then it will have a higher than normal for kid movie Sunday drop...

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

You aren't a parent...but Regal is the big chain for it (and it also REALLY booked PR2), although other smaller chains have also gone in on the "free small popcorn for ANY Saturday ticket"...so Saturday should be high for PR2 and then it will have a higher than normal for kid movie Sunday drop...

I mean you can say I’m not a parent but I work directly with parents and their children and no one has mentioned free popcorn to me

(granted it’s likely more that amc has a stranglehold on the Chicagoland market but I cannot stan for the popcorn)

SATURDAY UPDATE: Refresh for updates While it appeared that the summer box office was dusting itself off from the pandemic over the last two weeks, both newcomers Warner Bros. highly anticipated Jon M. Chu directed Lin-Manuel Miranda musical In the Heights and Sony’s Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway are currently filing less than spectacular results respectively with a No. 1 rank of $5M Friday, $13M 3-day and No. 4 place of $4M Friday, and $10.2M 30-day.

Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part IIas we told you, crossed $100M yesterday after a third Friday of $3.75M, -40%, on its way to a $12.5M 3-day (-35%) weekend in second. Don’t be surprised if the sequel reclaims the No. 1 spot this weekend, beating In the Heights, with a running total of $109.8M.

‘In the Heights’ & ‘Peter Rabbit 2’ Lower In Opening Box Office – Deadline

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Jesus christ in heaven!

At least Disney is making up some BO from the VOD releases. WB are just handing movies out for free.

The movie is great btw. I keep going back and playing my favourite songs. Hopefully more people come out. 

ITH could be wake up call for WB for their strategy to give out their new film at no cost. Those who subscribe hbo max for Friend reunion can easily catch ITH this month if they go for ads free version. $15 for a ads free +new film access, is not a bad deal at all. I guess outside of Latino community and broadway demo, the film hardly ignite any event status among general public.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

ITH could be wake up call for WB for their strategy to give out their new film at no cost. Those who subscribe hbo max for Friend reunion can easily catch ITH this month if they go for ads free version. $15 for a ads free +new film access, is not a bad deal at all. I guess outside of Latino community and broadway demo, the film hardly ignite any event status among general public.  

I'll be interested to know if they did in fact turn out for it...hopefully Deadline will have audience breakdowns later this weekend...