Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

14 minutes ago, AJG said:

How long before Matrix 4 and Dune mysteriously get delayed to 2022? 

Unlikely, Dune will have its debut in Venice this year. And until now, I have no idea if this will be a simultaneous release. I hope not, the market is now filled with remake and aged franchise. The lack of new franchise is hurting the dynamics 

30 minutes ago, Felipe said:

wow this is bad. Before the pandemic people said this could be a breakout hit. Like expecting huge numbers. I wonder how much better it would have done in normal circumstances

It's certainly possible we might have overestimated the appeal of In the Heights but at this point we'll never know due to the circumstances. Is the musical even that well-known? I know it won Tonys and the movie rights for it were passed around for more than a decade, but it's definitely not a Wicked or a Book of Mormon where even people who don't follow Broadway whatsoever are familiar with them. Of course, Broadway success doesn't always translate to screen success, as we've seen many times.

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

There is no yet a beneficiary of "pent-up demand". Hardly any film surprise at the box office. Even AQP2 was just doing in line with its pre-pandemic projection.

A film helped by the "pent-up demand" should overperform to a level that nobody could expect so even in the normal world. I would argue DS is the one but nothing else right now in the marketplace. 

I think you are forgetting GvK weekend. On first few days, the film didn't do more than what it did because it was facing capacity issues. 

• Like 2

Taking off my meltdown hat for a second: I actually think the marketing for Heights (which has been mostly praised) didn't do any favors for it - and I've been having this feeling since last weekend. What do I mean? Basically, it has been marketed like a pre-pandemic title with a long-range marketing strategy.

Conjuring 3 released its first trailer a month and a half before it released. Granted, Heights obviously couldn't do that with it's first trailer releasing pre-pandemic, but even compare it to A Quiet Place 2, which didn't restart its marketing until three weeks before its release. 

These are franchises, but the fact is that Heights restarted its marketing post-pandemic a full three months before its release, with two trailers, along with the last real bit of footages coming from the Oscars and the MTV Movie Awards, which were a month and a half ago and a month ago respectively, means that marketing peaked quite a bit ago. They did preview showings on Mother's Day, which was literally a month ago.

I got a trailer for Heights regularly at Little Women through March 2020. Then I got it from Wonder Woman 1984 to now very regularly. Likewise, the marketing has been around everywhere since mid-March/April, and the general consensus I've heard around my friends - who are the target niche market, being theater people - is that they had honestly forgot it was coming out, believing it must've come out a while ago. I have seen this sentiment on social media too, with an attitude of great over-exposure of this film.

I know it's weird thing for me to posit that an over-marketing led to a lackluster performance, but the marketing strategy for this was excessive to the point that it forgot that most of the films that have been successful in the pandemic era - including those from WB - did so by restarting their marketing much later than films did pre-pandemic. It'll be interesting to see if F9 also behaves this way (and I'm also willing to say that obviously we let excitement get the better of us - that said, I do think 15M - which it might not even hit - is disappointing even considering all the factors). 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I personally thought the movie felt insanely long (like, the Snyder Cut felt shorter to me), but is a 2 hour 20 minute movie really that long? People seem fine with watching superhero movies that are that long.

90 minutes long or blow it out to a limited series! /s  This world is seriously damaging our attention spans.

Not great for In the Heights, but the warning signs were there about it not breaking out. It feels like a bit of a critic/audience disconnect, or maybe a (lack) of name recognition thing? WB probably wishing they'd gotten Lin-Manuel to star with some MCU/Irishman de-aging technology, sorry Ally Maine's BFF...

Musicals can really leg it out but that's where HBO Max might really hurt. They can have a lot of older viewers and/or repeat business, but those fans can just watch ITH again at home.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Legion of Lokis said:

Ran out of likes for the first time in forever. Perfect time to purchase an account now since it will run through BW Mon and let’s me make an overdue name change.

Still no Eric Legion :( 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

anyway i can take solace in the fact that IN THE HEIGHTS (originally my #2 stan movie of 2020) is making significantly more money at the box office than my #1 stan movie of 2020, SOUL

soul did $125-150M WW IIRC.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

26 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Technically, a Quiet Place 2 could still win the weekend or place #2, so free popcorn would only make it worse...

Look, I love WB, but ITH somehow has really missed on OW...hopefully, it has next weekend with no "real" openers to recover...

Hitman’s Wife Bodyguard coming for an easy weekend crown while ITH sinks to single digits (millions)

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I was gonna ask this since I am never been in such situation as pre-sales open very late in India. Does pre-sales of big film impact box office because eventually audience are spending money on a film, cutting disposable income for that week. Yeah sure pre-sales may be mostly for fans and not general audiences, but some impact? at all?

I have no idea. Could be fun to try to study, but small sample and plenty of confounders.

• Knock It Off 1

Unless In the Heights develops Greatest Showman-esque staying power it looks like West Side Story will easily win the Biggest Musical of 2021 contest (sorry, Ben Platt!). Much more famous source material and will be released in theaters only in an environment that will be much closer to complete recovery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I always thought the hype for ITH was disproportionately skewed to online film circles, outside Twitter I’ve never heard anyone talk about it. It’s not Hamilton.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Unless In the Heights develops Greatest Showman-esque staying power it looks like West Side Story will easily win the Biggest Musical of 2021 contest (sorry, Ben Platt!). Much more famous source material and will be released in theaters only in an environment that will be much closer to complete recovery.

The thing preventing Greatest Showman type legs will likely be HBO Max. Anyone who hears great things can just check it out at home without the hassle of having to go out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1