LegendaryBen

Weekday Numbers (June 14-17)

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I feel like ITH is dead after that huge backlash is facing the last few days.

Waiting for 2nd weekend drop, but i think this doesn't have salvation.

Forgive me but, what backlash?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Forgive me but, what backlash?

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is this criticism going mainstream? Or is it an internet-centric thing? One of our failings in predicting the box office for this movie has been conflating internet “hype” with hype among the GA. I wonder if this backlash will remain mostly in the twitter-verse

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Is this criticism going mainstream? Or is it an internet-centric thing? One of our failings in predicting the box office for this movie has been conflating internet “hype” with hype among the GA. I wonder if this backlash will remain mostly in the twitter-verse

Rita Moreno defended LMM (he's producing her new documentary out this weekend) the other day and then apologized less than 24 hours later: Rita Moreno Walks Back 'In the Heights' Colorism Defense - Variety

Don't think it'll have any impact because hardly anyone is paying attention to the movie (even for free via a subscription, apparently) to begin with.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

It is mainstream enough, LMM posted a big letter apologizing 2 days ago because the discussion took over the entire social media and break the media news.

This was discussed on Later Show actually on Tuesday, Rita Moreno was there and criticized the backlash (and she face backlash for that too and also put out a statement today).

This movie is in a very bad position right now, being attacked by the people who hate anything diverse, and at the same time being attacked by their own audience.

The interest just aren't there on opening weekend and now this whole situation is possibly gonna kill it for real.

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It is mainstream enough, LMM posted a big letter apologizing 2 days ago because the discussion took over the entire social media and break the media news.

This was discussed on Later Show actually on Tuesday, Rita Moreno was there and criticized the backlash (and she face backlash for that too and also put out a statement today).

This movie is in a very bad position right now, being attacked by the people who hate anything diverse, and at the same time being attacked by their own audience.

The interest just aren't there on opening weekend and now this whole situation is possibly gonna kill it for real.

But “took over the entire social media” is a bit of an exaggeration no? Social media has really become small pockets of echo chambers where people don’t understand that outside of their little circle, things aren’t as popular as they are inside (or vice versa). Before this came out, it seemed like the whole internet was talking about this movie, whereas it was rather just a small subgroup of theatre fans and film geeks like us, where the GA didn’t care much. 

Anecdotal I know, but I work at a theater and I’ve heard nobody even mention any of this backlash when I talk to them, or even talk about the movie in any ill-way (people seem to love it). My point being that I feel like a lot of this stuff is internet-centric, and that most of the GA won’t care or even hear about it either way. They’ll see the movie or they won’t 

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

But “took over the entire social media” is a bit of an exaggeration no? Social media has really become small pockets of echo chambers where people don’t understand that outside of their little circle, things aren’t as popular as they are inside (or vice versa). Before this came out, it seemed like the whole internet was talking about this movie, whereas it was rather just a small subgroup of theatre fans and film geeks like us, where the GA didn’t care much. 

Anecdotal I know, but I work at a theater and I’ve heard nobody even mention any of this backlash when I talk to them, or even talk about the movie in any ill-way (people seem to love it). My point being that I feel like a lot of this stuff is internet-centric, and that most of the GA won’t care or even hear about it either way. They’ll see the movie or they won’t 

Yes i agreed, make total sense. The question for me with this movie is that i feel that the main audience they wanted to attract for this movie is very active on social media, especially twitter.

So to get backlash on these platforms are bad. I 100% agreed with you that most people from GA doesn't care or even know about this, but the people most inclined to get interested by it seems to know that and aren't happy with it, that's why i think it can hurt the legs.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

I think it's long past time to tune out of Twitter and ignore the demographic that uses it.

They were never going to see the movie anyway, they are just try hards looking to manufacture outrage. No one needs that kind of toxicity in their lives. And this is just an irrelevant movie.

These wankers are always up in arms about whatever social justice issue is on the menu and yet don't turn up to fucking vote. I can't take your views seriously if you can't do the bare minimum. 

Btw it always blows over because they need to find the next topic to make noise about. And in fact, paradoxically, their self-absorbed cycle probably inhibits progress more than expedites it because each issue is dealt with superficially and for such a brief moment before being collectively forgotten. 

20 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-passes-bill-make-juneteenth-federal-holiday-n1271083

May I know when  will this come into effect?? From the way I see, this coming weekend may unexpectedly become a holiday weekend on top of the father day.

Wait....19th June is saturday....so shouldn't matter much after all  

Apparently most Federal employees will be observing this holiday today, June 18th, since the actual holiday is on a Saturday. However, I wouldn't expect a huge boost. Since it was so last minute, mostly only Fed employees will have it off and no one else would have thought to taken it off since it was very, very last minute. 

In future years though, the holiday could have an impact for sure.

• Like 1

Friday AM Update: Lionsgate/Millennium Media’s The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard took in $1.4M on Thursday, which against the pic’s Wednesday+ previews day of $3.9M is a 64% decline. That puts the pic’s running total at $5.3M and puts the sequel on track for a $13M-$15M five-day opening. We’ll update you as it’s still early.

Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part II won Thursday with $1.53M at 3,515 theaters, putting its running domestic total at $115.8M. The pic remains the one event film of the summer to beat. Over three days, it could be a close call on No. 1 between Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard and the fourth weekend of A Quiet Place Part II. 

‘The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard’ Seizes $4M In First Day & Previews – Deadline

• Like 2

ITH made about 1m in average during mid-week.

Gvk should clear 100m this week. 

- (-) In the Heights Warner Bros. $15,454,628   3,456   $4,472 $15,454,628 2
- (1) The Conjuring: The De… Warner Bros. $14,699,859 -56% 3,102 n/c $4,739 $48,449,859 2
- (8) Godzilla vs. Kong Warner Bros. $449,404 -41% 1,390 n/c $323 $99,862,876 12
- (-) Those Who Wish Me Dead Warner Bros. $50,012   116   $431 $57,309,124 5
- (-) Mortal Kombat Warner Bros. $40,636 -61% 611 n/c $67 $42,109,781 8
  • Like 3

FWIW, I think that commentary on ITH is fair (and I think LMM responded to it well). Sure, there are a few people who seemed way too aggressive about it, but that’s the Internet. 

Also, I don’t think it’s had any sort of significant dampening effect on the movie or the box-office. The movie itself is a more modest BO beast than we expected and the “controversy” (such as it is) is already over. 

• Like 2