Eric Duncan

2022 Box Office Predictions and Discussion

43 minutes ago, James said:

Updating this taking into account the China Marvel ban (not confirmed but very likely):

Jurassic World 3 - 1.35B

Doctor Strange 2 - 1.15B

The Batman - 1.1B

Aquaman 2 - 1B

Thor 4 - 950m

Black Panther 2 - 850m

Lightyear - 820m

MI8 - 800m

Previous MCU movies without China

Black Panther - $1,242,535,514

Thor: Ragnarok - $741,757,757

Doctor Strange - $568,601,163

i just don’t see BP2 going below the Thor and Strange sequels. Do you think those two will make more domestically?

Also, you have Black Panther 2 dropping of almost $400m after great reception from the first film? But you also have Jurassic World 3 increasing over $300m after bad reception from Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom?

If you’re going by the production issues BP2 is going through, that won’t affect the box office. The general audience knows nothing about said issues. The only things that will matter is how Disney markets it and reception when it releases.

• Like 1

so, Avatar, Jurassic World 3 and all the cbm will make bank. What about the other movies?

Jordan Peele has a new movie. Even tho i didn't like US, he's still a big name, i hope his movie is good and makes money. What about The Lost City? It looks charming, hopefully it makes some $. Bullet Train is another that i see doing good.

Edited by Maggie

Super blockbuster going up against non-super blockbuster...this has gone badly for the non-super blockbuster pretty much for the last decade.

So, I see co-existence next Christmas...and if that's not the case, I see Avatar 2 blinking or moving around so they each get 1 week+ PLF to themselves...

AKA - one will move to Dec 25, while the other stays Dec 16 - and I think it's gonna be Avatar 2 on Dec 25 (that way, they can work out a min 2 week PLF)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Astonished 1

58 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

I can see Uncharted being a pretty big hit like maybe $500 mil due to Holland's star power from NWH

I disagree. It’s not like being Spider-Man helped literally any other film Tom Holland is in. The guy may be popular but he’s like Hemsworth where the GA (despite what his stans may say) only want to see him as Spider-Man.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cmbbox2390 said:

Previous MCU movies without China

Black Panther - $1,242,535,514

Thor: Ragnarok - $741,757,757

Doctor Strange - $568,601,163

i just don’t see BP2 going below the Thor and Strange sequels. Do you think those two will make more domestically?

Also, you have Black Panther 2 dropping of almost $400m after great reception from the first film? But you also have Jurassic World 3 increasing over $300m after bad reception from Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom?

If you’re going by the production issues BP2 is going through, that won’t affect the box office. The general audience knows nothing about said issues. The only things that will matter is how Disney markets it and reception when it releases.

It has less to do with bts drama and more with the fact that the real Black Panther is sadly not among us anymore. Sure, they will pass on the mantle but it will be a similar drop like Fast and Furious registered after Paul Walker’s death. Maybe even more severe.

59 minutes ago, James said:

It has less to do with bts drama and more with the fact that the real Black Panther is sadly not among us anymore. Sure, they will pass on the mantle but it will be a similar drop like Fast and Furious registered after Paul Walker’s death. Maybe even more severe.

Yeah I’m gonna have to disagree. I will wait until the first trailer drop before I make a prediction. I just think this film will be a tribute to Chadwick and very emotional which people usually gravitate towards.

Also, I know it’s a scientific poll, but to be the most anticipated film of 2022 with virtually no info about the film is pretty impressive.

10. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Part One
worldwide: $600 mln / domestic: $270 mln

9. Top Gun: Maverick
worldwide: $620 mln / domestic: $210 mln

8. "Mission: Impossible 7"
worldwide: $690 mln / domestic: $190 mln

7. The Batman
worldwide: $780 mln / domestic: $310 mln

6. Lightyear
worldwide: $850 mln / domestic: $325 mln

5. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
worldwide: $940 mln / domestic: $450 mln

4. Thor: Love and Thunder
worldwide: $1.05b / domestic: $410 mln

3. Jurassic World: Dominion
worldwide: $1.15b / domestic: $335 mln

2. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
worldwide: $1.25b / domestic: $430 mln

1. "Avatar 2"
worldwide: $1.85-3.7b / domestic: $500 mln-1.1b

+ Probably 1-2 china films with $600-900 mln (99% gross from China).

Edited by Juby
  • Like 3

On 12/28/2021 at 1:29 PM, TwoMisfits said:

Super blockbuster going up against non-super blockbuster...this has gone badly for the non-super blockbuster pretty much for the last decade.

So, I see co-existence next Christmas...and if that's not the case, I see Avatar 2 blinking or moving around so they each get 1 week+ PLF to themselves...

AKA - one will move to Dec 25, while the other stays Dec 16 - and I think it's gonna be Avatar 2 on Dec 25 (that way, they can work out a min 2 week PLF)...

Why would Avatar be the one to move? It's definitely doing better than Aquaman 2 I'm thinking.

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

Why would Avatar be the one to move? It's definitely doing better than Aquaman 2 I'm thinking.

2 week (or more) chance for PLF vs 9 days max...

And WB, after a year of sticking to their theatrical dates, will not blink, and other studios know it.  If Avatar 2 opens on the same date, both movies suffer.  If one moves, they co-exist better.  WB isn't gonna move Aquaman after its last Xmas performance...and it is the only Xmas super, so it's bound to do well...Avatar 2 actually has the bigger question b/c just look at Covid era results...we almost had a Top 5 supers list this year...

• Haha 1

Cameron uber alles. You challenge him at your own peril. 

And frankly quality wise there's far more uncertainty w/ Aquaman than Avatar. The original was already riding on mostly brand appeal to its success, I'm not sure that will fly so much with a sequel.

• Like 2