Borobudur

Father's Day weekend June 18 -20

40 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I would have predicted a $15 million OW for Hitman's Bodyguard 2 for the three day weekend in a pre-pandemic world, so honestly the 5 day is right in line with that expectation. Who asked for this?

Sad for In The Heights and sad as a lifelong progressive to see my own movement eating their own, eating a genuinely progressive film that should be seen, with a made up controversy. Sad sad sad. 

True, the controversy is genuinely crazy. The reason is that due to the low number of such movies being made, the ones which are made need to be everything to everyone instead of being a movie on their own terms.

• Like 2

Just throwing it out there that a film can have strong, progressive elements while also falter in other aspects and it's okay, healthy even, to criticize films when they falter in terms of representation, despite their good intentions.

• Like 4

If i'm guessing why In the Heights is dropping poorly, it is cause the movie itself was hyped up by Twitter and social media and no one else which explains its poor opening.  And it seems like Twitter has a problem with the lack of Afro-Latinos. 

Edited by CrashBandicoot81

28 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

In the Heights is Out of the Top 5s   

Nice for AQP2 at least, and solid for Cruella/HWB

How is a 5-day opening significantly smaller than the first movie's 3-day opening "solid," especially when it's only in theaters? Also gonna be hit hard by F9 next weekend and finish with a much smaller total than its predecessor. It's yet another comedy sequel that failed to launch.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

How is a 5-day opening significantly smaller than the first movie's 3-day opening "solid," especially when it's only in theaters? Also gonna be hit hard by F9 next weekend and finish with a much smaller total than its predecessor. It's yet another comedy sequel that failed to launch.

A matter of expectations I guess. From a 1.3 True Wed it could have done something truly dreadful (say, 1.3 1.1 2 2.4 2.4 for 12M). The Fri jump was pretty robust and I now think it’s heading for more like 11M on the 3-day, which could take it to 35Mish. Considering the fluky circumstances behind the 1st I was never expecting much more for it.   

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

I honestly keep forgetting there even is a Hitman's Bodyguard sequel out.

I mentioned this in the movie's thread but I got a preview for it when I saw A Quiet Place 2 and it spent the first 30 seconds pretty much recapping the first movie. It's like even the studio was telling the audience "we know you remember nothing about the previous movie" lol.

2 hours ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

If i'm guessing why In the Heights is dropping poorly, it is cause the movie itself was hyped up by Twitter and social media and no one else which explains its poor opening.  And it seems like Twitter has a problem with the lack of Afro-Latinos. 

It's doing poorly because it's a movie about one particular neighborhood where the story seems to be "slice of life" rather than some tangible plot . No other neighborhood gives a crap. It's like that Judd Apatow movie that's really his family video and nobody but himself gives a crap about his wife and kids. In short, very limited appeal. I don't think that known names would have helped cause there's really nothing for anyone who isn't from the Heights (figuratively). 

The real problem is that people, with no idea how boxoffice works but who write for popular sites, overestimated the opening weekend just because they wanted it to happen, not because there was an actual interest. Its 11M+ OW is exactly where this kind of a movie - no stars, limited appeal, unknown songs, unknown IP - makes. 20-30M speculation was nonsense and ultimately made the movie look like even a bigger flop.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The real problem is that people, with no idea how boxoffice works but who write for popular sites, overestimated the opening weekend just because they wanted it to happen, not because there was an actual interest. Its 11M+ OW is exactly where this kind of a movie - no stars, limited appeal, unknown songs, unknown IP - makes. 20-30M speculation was nonsense and ultimately made the movie look like even a bigger flop.

You don't need to be condescending and treat everyone who overpredicted the film like they're idiots. People get shit wrong.

• Like 1

Well, getting this one wrong made it into a bigger flop because falling short of expectations is always worse than just posting a low number. And nothing condescending about pointing out that they made their predictions as stans not as actual trackers even though, as big media, they should have been more professional. They wanted a big opening which is fine but they drank their own cool aid and took their fantasy as reality. That did not help the movie and that's all that matters. Good intention but also ill-advised. Anyway, the movie bombed because it had very niche appeal, won't be the first or last.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

A matter of expectations I guess. From a 1.3 True Wed it could have done something truly dreadful (say, 1.3 1.1 2 2.4 2.4 for 12M). The Fri jump was pretty robust and I now think it’s heading for more like 11M on the 3-day, which could take it to 35Mish. Considering the fluky circumstances behind the 1st I was never expecting much more for it.   

Expectations wise, it exceeded. However, THWB according to DL cost $70M and that's still a bad total compared to the first.

Meanwhile, ITH will definitely miss $30M. The controversy earlier this week plus HBOMAX negatively impacted it. AQP2 easily had the best hold this weekend.

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Well, getting this one wrong made it into a bigger flop because falling short of expectations is always worse than just posting a low number. And nothing condescending about pointing out that they made their predictions as stans not as actual trackers even though, as big media, they should have been more professional. They wanted a big opening which is fine but they drank their own cool aid and took their fantasy as reality. That did not help the movie and that's all that matters. Good intention but also ill-advised. Anyway, the movie bombed because it had very niche appeal, won't be the first or last.

Dude, no one over-predicted it because they were "stans". Maybe that's how things work for teenagers lol.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Dude, no one over-predicted it because they were "stans". Maybe that's how things work for teenagers lol.

WB definitely didn't budget or promote ITH like a niche property, and that played a part in building up the box office expectations.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

I just think that The Hitman's Bodyguard just didn't need a sequel. It wasn't even a particularly good movie. It is something to watch on Netflix and then forget as soon as the credits end.

Feeling exactly like this with a lot of the sequels that have come out recently. I don't think there was a tremendous amount of people demanding Peter Rabbit 2, Hitman's Bodyguard 2, and/or Saw 9.

28 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

WB definitely didn't budget or promote ITH like a niche property, and that played a part in building up the box office expectations.

The money we know has been spent on ITH:

1) $55m to produce

2) $50m to buy the film rights

3) An additional $20m at the end of the promo run (we dont know how much was spent on promo overall)

4) Paying out LMM and the producers in order to stream it on HBO Max

• Like 1