Borobudur

Father's Day weekend June 18 -20

24 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

WB definitely didn't budget or promote ITH like a niche property, and that played a part in building up the box office expectations.

True though there have been movies that were overbudgeted or promoted like a major property and media didn't peg them for breakout opening. They should have known by now that critical response=/= GA interest. Sometimes they overlap sometimes they don't. There was nothing about ITH to think it would be a breakout hit. No stars. IP unknown to everyone save Broadway fans. HBO Max (where it flopped too). Belief that this of all movies would somehow be the hit of the summer just because critics loved it was just ridiculous and very much smacked of stanning rather than actual prediction based on market research or tracking. But anyway, I don't get crying over its failure. The studio overestimated its appeal. Everyone involved got strong reviews so they'll be fine careerwise. One flop doesn't kill careers anymore. It didn't flop because it was bad but because nobody gave a shit. It's like yeah I've heard it's good but don't care to see it. Happens quite a lot. Good movie has no appeal while a bad movie does. 

32 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Feeling exactly like this with a lot of the sequels that have come out recently. I don't think there was a tremendous amount of people demanding Peter Rabbit 2, Hitman's Bodyguard 2, and/or Saw 9.

yep those movies got lucky first time around and studio shouldn't have pushed for a cash grab. PR2 and HB2 never had franchise potential considering ho-hum originals while Saw franchise died years ago. 

3 hours ago, AJG said:

The money we know has been spent on ITH:

1) $55m to produce

2) $50m to buy the film rights

3) An additional $20m at the end of the promo run (we dont know how much was spent on promo overall)

4) Paying out LMM and the producers in order to stream it on HBO Max

La La Land cost $30m, it has fewer lavish sequences and a smaller cast though with bigger stars as leads. 

For some properties, I would understand $50m for the rights, even if it's a lot of money. For ITH, that's wild (here's how that happened-a bidding war on abandoned Weinstein Company properties). In hindsight it may seem like madness, but multiple studios were caught up in it. And paying so much for the rights helped set a floor for the budget-they weren't going to go lower than that.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Anyone know why FlixPatrol doesn't show many of the 2021 WB movies on its charts?

Besides WW1984, even Godzilla vs Kong doesn't top the streaming charts whereas whatever Netflix or Disney drops shoots to the top.

Is it incomplete data? Why wouldn't HBO Max subs watch those 2021 movies when they are free? Weird.

9 hours ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Just throwing it out there that a film can have strong, progressive elements while also falter in other aspects and it's okay, healthy even, to criticize films when they falter in terms of representation, despite their good intentions.

Yeah, but we all know twatters don't actually intend to watch the movie. All had to rush on to the next faux outrage spinner. 

I have a hard time believing those clowns really believe in anything. As I mentioned, time to ignore them completely. 

• Knock It Off 3

10 hours ago, Blankments said:

Does that clown even proof read his work?

Calls Luca, Lucas and Turning Red, Seeing Red.

And I saw an article recently where he declared Lost City of D and Bullet Train the last hope giving a lot of irrelevant examples as to what they should make and what movies worked and didn't work. Seems to know absolutely nothing for a person who claims to have followed box office for decades.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

La Land cost $30m, it has fewer lavish sequences and a smaller cast though with bigger stars as leads. 

For some properties, I would understand $50m for the rights, even if it's a lot of money. For ITH, that's wild (here's how that happened-a bidding war on abandoned Weinstein Company properties). In hindsight it may seem like madness, but multiple studios were caught up in it. And paying so much for the rights helped set a floor for the budget-they weren't going to go lower than that.

Wellll. folks convinced themselves they were getting "The Next Hamilton".  Why wouldn't a bidding war erupt after one the most successful and culturally impactful Broadway productions in recent memory?

The trick here was, this wasn't "The Next Hamilton", but, "The Play That Came Out Before Hamilton".   That probably should have entered folks calculations more than a little, but, well, FOMO is a harsh taskmaster at times.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Wellll. folks convinced themselves they were getting "The Next Hamilton".  Why wouldn't a bidding war erupt after one the most successful and culturally impactful Broadway productions in recent memory?

The trick here was, this wasn't "The Next Hamilton", but, "The Play That Came Out Before Hamilton".   That probably should have entered folks calculations more than a little, but, well, FOMO is a harsh taskmaster at times.

It makes me wonder how Hamilton might have done at the box office or if even that is kind of a niche audience if it's not free on streaming.

• Like 3

I think North American film market is experiencing what China has experienced since reopening: K-shape recovery -- big movies keep doing well even better, and small movie are becoming lower. Last year in China, The Eight Hundred, My People, My Homeland did really well, but Mulan, WW84 flopped hard and surprised many local industry people. Bad WOM was a big problem for both of the hollywood titles, but under $30M lifetimes were far worse than the most pessimistic predictions. In the Heights in US is having a familiar situation - people just don't give a damn even the reactions are pretty good.

My theory is: Audience will have very single taste instead of various for a long time to come. They wanna big and tasty meals like Black Widow. And small movies will not be considered until blockbusters feed them well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

I think North American film market is experiencing what China has experienced since reopening: K-shape recovery -- big movies keep doing well even better, and small movie are becoming lower. Last year in China, The Eight Hundred, My People, My Homeland did really well, but Mulan, WW84 flopped hard and surprised many local industry people. Bad WOM was a big problem for both of the hollywood titles, but under $30M lifetimes were far worse than the most pessimistic predictions. In the Heights in US is having a familiar situation - people just don't give a damn even the reactions are pretty good.

My theory is: Audience will have very single taste instead of various for a long time to come. They wanna big and tasty meals like Black Widow. And small movies will not be considered until blockbusters feed them well.

Actually this has been the trend before pandemic start, but pandemic make them even more visible.

Big blockbuster franchise reap all the benefit from the growth in box office market in the past 10 years. While big movies making more and more money, small medium film struggle and enjoy almost nothing.

People seem to have problem understanding this, growth in box office didn't benefit all segment. But this is our world now, everything has since become more polarised, in politics, economics, values to even box office.    

• Like 4

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually this has been the trend before pandemic start, but pandemic make them even more visible.

Big blockbuster franchise reap all the benefit from the growth in box office market in the past 10 years. While big movies making more and more money, small medium film struggle and enjoy almost nothing.

People seem to have problem understanding this, growth in box office didn't benefit all segment. But this is our world now, everything has since become more polarised, in politics, economics, values to even box office.    

this world will never be the same.

tumblr_mmzzr8YApJ1s5rcdco1_500.gif

AQP2  run is closely resemble to the meg. The meg hit 120.5m by its 4th week with 10.5m weekend, buoyed by Labour Day. If AQP2 follow the meg from here, the total should be around 150m but the meg didn't have summer mid-week bump from here, so AQP2 may continue to gain to 160m. 

• Like 1