Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Boss Baby & Purge 1.3M Previews

https://deadline.com/2021/07/boss-baby-family-business-forever-purge-f9-box-office-weekend-july-4th-1234785567/

Universal had not one, but two wide release previews last night as they head into the four-day Independence Day weekend: DreamWorks Animation’s The Boss Baby: Family Businesswhich made $1.31M, and Blumhouse’s The Forever Purge which grossed $1.33M.

Together with the second weekend of F9which is looking to make around $28M, Universal will own the top three spots at the box office; a first for a major studio since Sony during Feb. 11-13, 2005 with Hitch, Boogeyman and Are We There Yet?.

The first Boss Baby made $1.5M from 2,700 locations that began at 5PM back on March 30, 2017 yielding a $15.6M opening day, $50.2M weekend when it was released by 20th Century Fox under their deal with DWA. The sequel here is also available on the top two subscriber pay tiers of Uni’s streaming service Peacock, however, those in distribution circles aren’t expecting the service to steal a lot of box office bucks as it’s still nascent. Peacock’s number of subscribers in its entirety for pay and ad-supported subscribers, was at 42M for Q1 2021, up from 33M the previous quarter.

• Like 2

Since there's not much else to talk about, some nice box office history:

The trades mentioned the last time the top three were from the studio was in February 2005, with Hitch, Boogeyman, and Are We There Yet? all from Sony. But I wanted to look at the last time that happened and it was all the way back in September 1989, all from Universal oddly enough. Sea of Love, Uncle Buck, and Parenthood all landed in the top three respectively.

I'm sure I'll get mocked for this, but I never heard of Sea of Love up until now. :lol: 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

How did first Boss Baby got their Oscar nomination is still beyond me after all these years...... 

I know a person who was very emotional with Boss Baby. I didn't liked it much personally but I will definitely prefer it over what many think probable this year winner Mitchells vs Machines unless Disney delivers with Encanto.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I know a person who was very emotional with Boss Baby. I didn't liked it much personally but I will definitely prefer it over what many think probable this year winner Mitchells vs Machines unless Disney delivers with Encanto.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

How did first Boss Baby got their Oscar nomination is still beyond me after all these years...... 

Weak year for mainstream animated fare that wasn't Coco, probably. A Despicable Me sequel and a Lego Movie spin-off (plus fellow Oscar nominee Ferdinand) were the only other major studio efforts to be nominated at the Producers Guild awards.

Edited by filmlover

That F9 number would make for a 60% drop which would be on par with the rest of the series. Furious 7 had the same drop and ended with a 2,4 multiplier, which would put F9's domestic total at $168M. Not bad, but the next installment will give us a more objective verdict on the IP's longevity.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Weak year for mainstream animated fare that wasn't Coco, probably. A Despicable Me sequel and a Lego Movie spin-off (plus fellow Oscar nominee Ferdinand) were the only other major studio efforts to be nominated at the Producers Guild awards.

2012 Oscar was also a weak year for animation but somehow the jury managed to see enough number of films to nominate not one but two random foreign language indie films but after just few years, they decided to just fill in the blank with all not bad but business as usual flick.  

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

2012 Oscar was also a weak year for animation but somehow the jury managed to see enough number of films to nominate not one but two random foreign language indie films but after just few years, they decided to just fill in the blank with all not bad but business as usual flick.  

Well in 2017 they reworked the Animated Feature category so more people outside of the animation branch could determine the nominations as a way to put in more mainstream animated fare. Though honestly the lineups over the past three years aren't all bad. Whether the winner was deserved is up to you, but the variety is pretty solid across the board.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/boss-baby-family-business-forever-purge-f9-box-office-weekend-july-4th-1234785567/

UPDATED, Friday Midday: Refresh for updates Universal’s troika grip on the weekend box office is as follows:

1. F9 (Uni) 4,203 theaters (+24), Fri $7.5M (-75%)/3-day $22.2M (-68%)/4-day: $30.4M/Total: $123.4M/ Wk 2
  2. Boss Baby: Family Business (Uni) 3,640  theaters, Fri $6.8M/3-day $17.5M/4-day &Total $23.2M/Wk 1
  3. Forever Purge (Uni) 3,051 theaters , Fri $4.4M/3-day $10M /4-day and total $12.5M/Wk 1

F9 is crossing the $100M mark in eight days, making it the fastest movie to cross that mark during the pandemic, besting A Quiet Place Part II‘s 15-day journey to that milestone. Note the above figures can change as we go throughout the weekend. Purge Forever looks to be hitting its 3-day projection spot-on with Boss Baby 2 ahead of its $15M 3-day projection.  Remember that title is also available on the Peacock streaming service.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Yeah, they're not gonna make Fast 10 a two-parter anymore.

Vin said it will be a two parter means it will be a two parter, even if he has to write out the entire rest of the family. It will be a character study of Torretto.