Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Boss Baby & Purge 1.3M Previews

I think this is the weakest Friday bump for Cruella thus far

- (4) Cruella Walt Disney $865,000 +38% -23% 2,380 $363 $74,903,984 36
- (6) Zola A24 $445,000 +52%   1,468 $303 $1,242,252 3
- N Summer of Soul (…Or, When… Searchlight … $250,000     752 $332 $250,000 1
- (-) Raya and the Last Dragon Walt Disney $11,000 +60% -45% 75 $147 $54,507,743 120
  • Like 1

THU in Canada was boosted by Canada day, so Friday bumps will be softer. In normal times, holiday in Canada boost numbers on weekdays like 10-15% or so, now with 40% of Canada shut, probably around 10%.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/07/boss-baby-family-business-forever-purge-f9-box-office-weekend-july-4th-1234785567/

F9, which crossed $100M yesterday on its 8th day with $8.1M (-73% from last Friday)–the fastest pic to that benchmark during the pandemic–is set to raise its running total to $126M by Monday after a 3-day of $24.1M (-66%), and 4-day of $32.95M at 4,203 locations

Uni’s DreamWorks Animation sequel Boss Baby: Family Business did $7.7M on Friday including Thursday previews of $1.3M, and is shaping up for a $19.87M 3-day, $26.4M 4-day. Again, the whole Peacock availability isn’t expected to steal from the box office. 

The studio’s Blumhouse fifth-quel The Forever Purge saw $5.7M yesterday, including $1.3M Thursday previews, and a 3-day of $13M and 4-day of $16.2M. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 5

Looks like box office impact is negligible when you're an under-the-radar streaming service.

Uni’s DreamWorks Animation sequel Boss Baby: Family Business did $7.7M on Friday including Thursday previews of $1.3M, and is shaping up for a $19.87M 3-day, $26.4M 4-day. Again, the whole Peacock availability isn’t expected to steal from the box office. I’ve heard from sources the streaming service is a disaster, and this was a means to prod an increase in subscribers. Uni commits to spending on theatrical P&A, and that is clearly showing in the weekend results here. And no, there’s no hesitation out there by family audiences to attend the cinema: Sony didn’t spend to pull people in on Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway which only opened to $10.1M). There’s also somewhat of a love here for the snarky toddlers in the DWA IP. CinemaScore was an A, which is higher than the first 2017 movie which notched an A-.

• Like 1

Poor Rabbit, bullied by Baby......mid-week drop was only in single digit range.

- (3) Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway Sony Pictures $850,000 +14% -42% 2,954 $288 $33,016,482 22
- (-) The Conjuring: The Devil … Warner Bros. $470,000   -48% 1,716 $274 $61,406,000 29

Passing Cats soon!

- (-) In the Heights Warner Bros. $400,000   -38% 1,405 $285 $26,012,000 23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I own the premium version of Peacock because my parents still have Xfinity cable and even I can't bring myself to watch the service 98% of the time. Half of it is stuff I can already get on other streaming services, while their original stuff is just generic comedies that would fit snugly into the NBC primetime schedule. Not surprised Peacock did little to impact Boss Baby's box office.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

I own the premium version of Peacock because my parents still have Xfinity cable and even I can't bring myself to watch the service 98% of the time. Half of it is stuff I can already get on other streaming services, while their original stuff is just generic comedies that would fit snugly into the NBC primetime schedule. Not surprised Peacock did little to impact Boss Baby's box office.

I get it through Cox and I think the only things watched are The Office and extended episodes of The Office which my wife watches regularly.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I get it through Cox and I think the only things watched are The Office and extended episodes of The Office which my wife watches regularly.

My mom forced me to watch the pilot to some Ed Helms show called Rutherford Falls and watching it really does solidify how Andy was the absolute worst character on The Office.

• Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Only thing I'm watching on Peacock is Friday Night Lights and I'm just getting annoyed of the ads lol. I guess, at least it doesn't seem to be doing as abysmally as Paramount+ or Apple TV+.

I know Paramount+ is in dire straits (relying on an iCarly reboot as your big new show is never a good sign), but I would think it would be doing better than Peacock. All those Star Trek shows have to be watched by somebody and you are required to pay for it to watch stuff on it. What does Peacock have? That weird self-aware Saved by the Bell revival?

Honestly, it's very strange to me Peacock didn't try to greenlight a Jurassic World or Fast and Furious show. They probably wouldn't get as big of headlines as Mandalorian, but at least it has something people can get jazzed over. Seems weird they put those franchises into the endless conveyor belt of Dreamworks Netflix cartoons (seriously, this studio pumps out like 10 shows every time I blink)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

I know Paramount+ is in dire straits (relying on an iCarly reboot as your big new show is never a good sign), but I would think it would be doing better than Peacock. All those Star Trek shows have to be watched by somebody and you are required to pay for it to watch stuff on it. What does Peacock have? That weird self-aware Saved by the Bell revival?

Honestly, it's very strange to me Peacock didn't try to greenlight a Jurassic World or Fast and Furious show. They probably wouldn't get as big of headlines as Mandalorian, but at least it has something people can get jazzed over. Seems weird they put those franchises into the endless conveyor belt of Dreamworks Netflix cartoons (seriously, this studio pumps out like 10 shows every time I blink)

Isn't there an animated Jurassic World show on Netflix?

14 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

F9 could go below 10M in 3rd place next weekend.  

I’m projecting 9m. Loss of premium screens in addition to competition. But would still finish around 160 I think?

1 minute ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

It's pretty clear that Comcast doesn't view Peacock as a big deal. There's no big shows, no movies announced for it and their franchise continuations are all Netflix animated stuff.

A Purge TV show exploring the non Murder-Death-Kill side of the Purge would be a low budget fun thing to put on there tbh. Something like a team planning a heist on Purge day knowing that they only have a 12 hour window, or immigrants waiting for the Purge time to get into the US knowing they can't be prosecuted, or even an episode which is just a legal drama where a lawyer has to fight for a client who was stabbed during the purge but like became paralyzed after the purge was over due to the stab wound. There's so many places to explore in the purge day stuff and all we get in the movies is people killing one another.

• Like 2