Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

All-righty Ladies, Gentlemen, and Lokis, 

It has finally arrived.  The cultural event that is going to heal this soul of this planet and SAVE CINEMA:

785d3a1a805bb76c5f1d31b3e2064cbe7c711ac6

LMFAO, I wish.  Though if I don't get the trailer tonight, I will riot.

Nah, it's time for:

BLACK WIDOW

8cd66ec06a0e587391c158fd413d27adb529c2bd

Arriving eight years too late to really matter, and one and a half years behind schedule, Natasha Romanoff and her Russian Cohorts FINALLY get their big screen solo mission.  

That is actually an origin story for Yelena Belova.  And is sandwiched between the TRUE MCU EVENT of the season: Episode 5 & 6 of LOKI.  She is the icon, she is the legend, she is THE MOMENT.  (Only available on Disney+! Theaters are Dead!)

a1509c4831a1b90f3c49b4f7d7ee8fc8aa227c86

The Marvel Proof RT Score (Obviously Bought and Paid For By Disney!) is encouraging, and our fearless leader @Shawn thinks we'll crack somewhere between 80 and 100M this weekend.  Though there's some rumblings in the Tracking Thread that might make for an interesting weekend.

And trust and believe, as much as User Cap *loves* to munch on popcorn and witness a good old fashion OW Thread Meltdown, Admin Cap is not quite ready.  I would please encourage folks to refrain from DOOM DOOM DOOM if Black Widow doesn't crack 100M. (Unless, of course, we're gonna talk Dr. Doom!)

Before the pandemic, the Marvel Cinematic Universe seemed unstoppable.  Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Infinity War, Endgame, and Far From Home all sailed past 1B worldwide, with bigger and more frontloaded domestic opening weekends for even films like Ant-Man & The Wasp.

Alas, while some parts of the country are "back to normal", we have other parts still dealing with the Delta Variant.  We have local chains that have been closed for good. (#RIP MY BELOVED CINEMAGIC).  And we have a same-day release of PVOD for those who just aren't ready to go back to:

The-Movies.gif

I also think we should note that even though the MCU is coming off a once-in-a-generation high, it's just that.  Once in a generation.  Phase 4 feels very much like Phase 1 where they're telling smaller stories and resetting the universe through new character origin stories.  It's going to take a couple years to get the Phase 3 Hype Back, if ever.  

No other brand IP possesses the power to bring people back to THE MOOVIES like the MCU.  [This is a fact, cause obviously Fast Saga is not a BRAND it's a FAMILY].  So I understand the temptation to play Chicken Little if we're drinking cheap box white wine instead of Dom Pérignon Rose Gold on Sunday.  Theaters really need a win right now.  I hope to Kevin, this weekend is a smashing success.  

Godspeed, All.

Aaannd...

I believe I have hit every space on the Black Widow Opening Weekend Bingo Card. 

*Goes to Check*

Screen-Shot-2021-07-08-at-5-31-36-AM
free photo hosting websites

HMM... Not yet, but there's still time.  

ae5ba6037a753208a0ef05192810bcc8c027561e

Hopefully, now that we're got that out of our system, we can:

Please Remember @Eric Belov's Cardinal Rules of Weekend Threads:

1. Absolutely No Spoilers.  Not Even Spoilers posted Under the Spoiler Tags.
    1. Because this is the MCU, this ALSO GOES FOR NO SHANG-CHI, LOKI, WHAT IF, ETERNALS, SPIDEY, OR FUTURE PROJECTS. 
    2. THE BLACK WIDOW SPOILER THREAD IS HERE.  USE IT.  ( PLEASE AND THANK YOU :D )

2. The Report and Ignore Buttons Are Your Friends.
    1. Not Cool
    2. Ignore
    3. Report
    4. Don't Quote

3. DON'T BE A DICK.  ABSOLUTELY NO BULLYING OR HARASSMENT.

giphy.gif

• Like 12
  • Astonished 4

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Anything under 90m is a flop. :Venom:

Hey hey hey, I have already made the decree

On 7/6/2021 at 1:50 PM, Lokis Legion said:

As everyone knows I’m hoping for 100 plus, but I’m going to set the disappointment/flop/crumbling/meltdown bar at 85,737,841 ;)  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

You are aware that industry “tracking” is deliberately lowballed, right?

Right, so when it only hits industry tracking, that's a flo...wait we can't say that word in this thread:).  

It's fabulous...absolutely fabulous:)...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Right, so when it only hits industry tracking, that's a flo...wait we can't say that word in this thread:).  

It's fabulous...absolutely fabulous:)...

I mean, if it did 75 (which it won’t, so this whole discussion is kind of silly) that’s definitely pretty sucky. That would be true whether they “industry expectations” were 10-20M, or 50-60M, 65-75, 75-85, 100-110, or 250-260. It simply doesn’t matter.

“Industry expectations” are not actually what the smart people in the industry expect, they’re just corporate expectations setting for PR. Detached from reality, ignore them when judging performance 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Sarcasm?

Obvious 85-89 m is not a flop, lol.

That… isn’t an example of what sarcasm is, lol. 

18 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

I mean, if it did 75 (which it won’t, so this whole discussion is kind of silly) that’s definitely pretty sucky. That would be true whether they “industry expectations” were 10-20M, or 50-60M, 65-75, 75-85, 100-110, or 250-260. It simply doesn’t matter.

“Industry expectations” are not actually what the smart people in the industry expect, they’re just corporate expectations setting for PR. Detached from reality, ignore them when judging performance 🤷‍♂️

Whether you personally think they’re too low or not is irrelevant in the bigger picture. The industry write all of the articles and headlines after the film opens and they’ll use the industry tracking as their bar for success and it’ll determine how the performance of the film is perceived. It’s been happening for decades.

See: In The Heights as a recent example. We knew it was going low, they didn’t and the headlines reflected the underperformance.  

Edited by Krissykins
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

16 minutes ago, Menor said:

I find it hard to see it only hitting 75 million unless something really crazy happens. 

You know, after the last 17 months or so, did you really have to tempt fate?:)  We should just cross out that last clause and stick with the optimism:)...

• Haha 2