Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I have a friend watch it by pirating , proudly share it on Insta, and he is a core MCU fan. I don't get how demon slayer fans can wait for months until they got to see it on big screen, like how DS made 50m here but MCU fan simply can't. And BW isn't even a very interconnected story to overall plot to begin with 

If you're pirating a movie you're no different than somebody shoplifting a blu ray. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I have a friend watch it by pirating , proudly share it on Insta, and he is a core MCU fan. I don't get how demon slayer fans can wait for months until they got to see it on big screen, like how DS made 50m here but MCU fan simply can't. And BW isn't even a very interconnected story to overall plot to begin with 

For every one of those there are thousands that will happily pay for a movie ticket or Disney Plus Premier Access. I legit think we might have some record numbers in this type of release when it's all said and done next Monday. This is still a pandemic so I'm kinda holding off judgement of others, I'm not walking on their shoes. I can easily pay for a movie ticket, travel to a movie theater and watch this. But since that's not the safe approach around here, I went with Premier Access. This is kinda uncharted territory with a Marvel Studios property right now, and in light of the current events, I feel like it might be kind of exciting. If there is a franchise that can pull off big numbers on both box office and on demand, this is the one. 

10 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Thor 2 getting A- is mystery to me although over the years ,I have warmed up to it.

I unironically like it. I’m not blind to it’s flaws, but it delivers cult movie charm where space Viking shenanigans doesn’t grow on trees (though of course Ragnarok is miles better in that department.)

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

No fanbase is immune to piracy. Hell I remember Avengers being pirated a week before it’s American opening.

(of course that’s the downside of PA. It arguably makes piracy easier. Consider China where the movie release date is up in the air  and some folks there already are using “Dutch imports.”)

• Like 2

My big issue with MCU ranking is there's a bunch I haven't seen since we did our Infinity War Rewatch, and that was like 3 years and a effing pandemic ago.

I feel a more accurate ranking would be:

GOD TIER:

Captain America: The Winter Solider

Captain America: The First Avenger

Black Panther

Avengers: Infinity War

Avengers: Endgame

Captain Marvel

HELL YEAH TIER:

Loki

Thor: Ragnarok

The Falcon and The Winter Solider

Captain America: Civil War

The Avengers

I REMEMBER THESE AS GOOD TIER:

Ant-Man

Ant-Man and The Wasp

Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Iron Man

MEH TIER:

Black Widow

WandaVision

Thor

Spider-Man: Homecoming

NOPE TIER:

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Thor: Dark World

Doctor Strange

The Incredible Hulk

GAAAARBAGE TIER:

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Avengers: Age of Ultron

• ...wtf 1

15 minutes ago, RRA said:

(of course that’s the downside of PA. It arguably makes piracy easier. Consider China where the movie release date is up in the air  and some folks there already are using “Dutch imports.”)

To be fair; I have seen quite a number of people on Weibo who used VPN to subscribe to D+, and then paid for PA for Black Widow. And then most of them end up disappointed as there is no Chinese subs; they ended up pirating the film… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As a longtime anime fan I can assure you anime fans are pirating a lot, they're not different from the rest. Actually they might pirate more than the average as they're younger on average and probably poorer as a result.

• Like 2

Just now, TigerPaw said:

To be fair; I have seen quite a number of people on Weibo who used VPN to subscribe to D+, and then paid for PA for Black Widow. And then most of them end up disappointed as there is no Chinese subs; they ended up pirating the film… 

Thanks for bringing that up.

(No subs? Seems short sighted on D’s part)

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

As a longtime anime fan I can assure you anime fans are pirating a lot, they're not different from the rest. Actually they might pirate more than the average as they're younger on average and probably poorer as a result.

I agree with this, the anime subculture is incredibly pirate heavy.   

DS did good business because it has fans who will pirate + go see it on the big screen later. Similar to MCU fans seeing it IMAX Th and then buying PA. And hopefully a decent chunk of Chinese fans will pirate+go see it big on August.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RRA said:

Thanks for bringing that up.

(No subs? Seems short sighted on D’s part)

I think they were trying to deter pirates from Ripping Chinese subs; to avoid piracy in China... Think they did the same for Mulan.

But ended up backfiring as China diehard MCU fans who used VPN and paid for PA couldn't understand the film without the subs and there are several posts on weibo by fans who tried this (with legit screenshots), and telling others to either wait for it to be in theaters if they can or just pirate it cause no point paying for PA.

Disney didn't know that pirates are freaking good at translation (more so than fans lol), like it has been on most China movie sites with very well translated subs since like 5pm (GMT +8)  last evening.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Menor said:

Enjoyed this quite a bit, with a better third act it would have been top tier MCU, as of now mid tier. Still probably my favorite release of phase 4 so far.

:wintf:

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

r/boxoffice in denial . Saying cinemascore is bse of delays .pointed out AS is down to 92%verified ,87% and pointed out major complaints (taskmaster and third act) and poeple have a problem and down vote 

Like that sub but when anything marvel or Dc comes out that sub goes to shit.

Reddit is where individual thought goes to die.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

I agree with this, the anime subculture is incredibly pirate heavy.   

DS did good business because it has fans who will pirate + go see it on the big screen later. Similar to MCU fans seeing it IMAX Th and then buying PA. And hopefully a decent chunk of Chinese fans will pirate+go see it big on August.

I mean Once Upon A Deadpool opened 56M with cheap tickets in Jan 2019 before 286M finish. BW should go for 80M OD and 450M full run if it is released in say AUG. 

Edit: talking about China and in Yuan.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

2 hours ago, Zatt was right said:

For every one of those there are thousands that will happily pay for a movie ticket or Disney Plus Premier Access. I legit think we might have some record numbers in this type of release when it's all said and done next Monday. This is still a pandemic so I'm kinda holding off judgement of others, I'm not walking on their shoes. I can easily pay for a movie ticket, travel to a movie theater and watch this. But since that's not the safe approach around here, I went with Premier Access. This is kinda uncharted territory with a Marvel Studios property right now, and in light of the current events, I feel like it might be kind of exciting. If there is a franchise that can pull off big numbers on both box office and on demand, this is the one. 

It’s more like the other way around in my opinion. More people would have watched it for nothing than paid for it. 
I’m not saying Disney won’t be making a ton of money out of the PA release, but at the same time they have gifted it to free for millions and millions of people. 
How many of those would have gone out to see it in theaters if they weren’t handed the opportunity to ‘steal’ a 2160p HDR version on minute one? We’ll never know. 

• Like 4