Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm also going to be shocked if Matrix 4 stays in its current release date.  It seems a prime candidate to move to summer and drop the HBOMax release.  

Where could it go? The only options I see is either replacing Elvis on the 3rd June and that moves to September or October, August 5th which I think Black Adam will move to to avoid Indy 5 or July 15th and Fantastic Beasts moves to November.

3 minutes ago, VENOM said:

I’m starting to notice a trend, if I make a valid argument that you can’t refute you just call me a troll 

I already made a valid argument.  You said everything was open and back to normal.  That is completely false and pointed out why.

Hope this helps.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Where could it go? The only options I see is either replacing Elvis on the 3rd June and that moves to September or October, August 5th which I think Black Adam will move to to avoid Indy 5 or July 15th and Fantastic Beasts moves to November.

I think a lot of stuff will shuffle the next 6-10 weeks.  

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I forgot to add and sort of mentioned this earlier, but theaters have had zero leverage for 18 months for obvious reasons.  That is going to change and change quickly.  Expect some real traction on that in the next 6 weeks.  

Also should be encouraging that there has been zero announcement from Disney that Shang-Chi will be on Disney+ day and date and everything released for Encanto all points to theatrical only.  The studios are keeping their powder dry because they know that theatrical first is the best financial option for everyone.  

Disney already said Shang Chi will get 45 days theatrical exclusive and then will go to D+. Same for Free Guy.

Warner also already said their entire 2022 calendar will get theatrical exclusive releases for 45 days.

This seems to be the new norm.

• Like 3

There is no doubt the OD tapered off and PA obviously played a part. That will be confirmed with saturday numbers. In pre-covid times, most movies held flat or went up a little even in July. Here I its looking like dropping from Friday minus previews. 

Still OW being so strong plus revenue from PA would make Disney go this route for more movies. I expect a huge marvel ensemble or a star wars or Avatar to still be purely theatrical but for something smaller this route would yield maximum revenue for studio. Tough times for Theatrical chains for sure. AMC better hope it remains a Meme stock for it to keep making money diluting even more. Business will never return to normal for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I already made a valid argument.  You said everything was open and back to normal.  That is completely false and pointed out why.

Hope this helps.  

I said America is mostly vaccinated and fully open which it is.

I said 100+ OW was predicted knowing what you said but you can’t accept that and want to pretend this is a new revelation about Canada but nothing has changed that explains Black widow not making the 100+ OW that was predicted.

Edited by VENOM
  • Knock It Off 2

Put off paying for access all through the shut downs.... ended up paying for BW last night  🤣

Hazards of a newborn, living an hour from decent theaters and work life. So while I get the complaints, wife and I were thankful to watch Widow from home. 

Seems like BO wise its finally seeing a bit of life again after the slog of the Nov-April 6 months. Glad there is positive movement on many fronts. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, VENOM said:

They were expecting 100 up until a few hours ago.. can’t use the pandemic card this time, America is vaccinated and fully open.

I mean 5 million less than The Winter Soldier isn't bad really.

And I'm not sure how we went from graciously accepting F9's 70 m opening because of the pandemic to expecting theaters to perform at 100% two weeks later.

Also this was a hybrid release. Any American could watch it at home.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, VENOM said:

I said 100+ OW was predicted knowing what you said but you can’t accept that and want to pretend this is a new revelation about Canada but nothing has changed that explains Black widow not making the 100+ OW that was predicted.

Some predicted 100+ and some predicted right about where it is going to land.  You are acting like not hitting the upper level has to be some giant disappointment.  That simply isn't true.  In fact, given everything, it's outright dumb.  

I personally was hoping it would get to 100m+, but still thrilled with $90m or so.  

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Also, it is not fully open.  That simply isn't true.  Many theaters are still closed, waiting for SVOG money to open, reduced capacity or reduced due to labor shortages.  

This is a fact.  You can't say that America is fully open when it isn't.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I mean 5 million less than The Winter Soldier isn't bad really.

And I'm not sure how we went from graciously accepting F9's 70 m opening because of the pandemic to expecting theaters to perform at 100% two weeks later.

Also this was a hybrid release. Any American could watch it at home.

Would you pay 30 dollars to watch it on a small screen? 

Even if the answer is yes plenty of people here were predicting at least 100+ OW. Didn’t deadline have it pegged as high as 125? So 88 for a MCU film with Disney’s marketing has to be a big disappointment for those people. F9 is also in the same boat in that it was nothing spectacular and the second week drop was big. Both franchises are getting repetitive.

Edited by VENOM
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Seems like 25 sat so about 85ow hopefully it goes higher very good result either way

On 7/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, Lokis Legion said:

Hey hey hey, I have already made the decree

Uh oh.  

We could be in trouble. 

I don’t want to do a Face-Heel Turn, but it’s simply out of my hands at this point. Pray for me.

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

Uh oh.  

We could be in trouble. 

I don’t want to do a Face-Heel Turn, but it’s simply out of my hands at this point. Pray for me.

Its a very good result either way ,would we prefer 90-100  ? Of course but lets not be dissapointed with that result 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

"Black Widow was guy heavy at 58%, with 52% under 25 and close to half the audience between 18-34. Diversity demos were 46% Caucasian, 21% Latino, 16% Black, and 18% Asian/other. The pic played strong across the country with a notable turnout in the West. Imax and PLF repped over 30% of Black Widow‘s ticket sales so far."

For those wondering about audience breakdown - quite different from F9...

Very different from Captain Marvel age-wise, I wonder why.

Males accounted for 55% of audiences, while 74% of moviegoers were over the age of 25. It’s nice to see the guys getting behind some female empowerment too.

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Its a very good result either way ,would we prefer 90-100  ? Of course but lets not be dissapointed with that result 

No no no. I’m sorry, but I was very clear, in advance. Can’t move the goalposts ex post facto simply if it becomes convenient.

85,737,842 will be a fine, strong, performance. 85,737,840 or below and I will have to meltdown over this disappointing crumbling flop.   

Frankly I’m still pretty optimistic about Sat going high enough, but starting to feel just a smidge nervous.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2

19 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Seems like 25 sat so about 85ow hopefully it goes higher very good result either way

wait 25m sat?? why ?? Is PA affecting movie so drastically. I might have a meltdown afterall 😶

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yup.... the old gang is definitely back in regular form 🤣 keeping tabs on the threads the past month has been quiet, thanks for levity today.

I might be back in box office threads (sporadically, as before) but streaming is my new god now xD

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1