Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

Man, the Disney salt is really funny. Now that we’re here, there is very clearly some pandemic going on, so offering an option for people who can’t or don’t want to get to a theater is good — plus they”p’ve already announced they’re stopping on mid-Aug :hahaha:

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Man, the Disney salt is really funny. Now that we’re here, there is very clearly some pandemic going on, so offering an option for people who can’t or don’t want to get to a theater is good — plus they”p’ve already announced they’re stopping on mid-Aug :hahaha:

Letting them watch the movies at home for an extra $30 on top of a streaming service subscription is a ripoff.

Edited by lorddemaxus

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Watching at home is never the same, no matter how modern the TV is. 

There’s always a better TV just a year away. I just seen Black Widow for the second time, on a 12.5 metres high and 22.5 metres wide screen with 57 Dolby atmos speakers. 

It just can’t be matched at home, IMO. 

When the theatres were closed last year, I did watch a lot of theatre and concert performances via official YouTube channels or on TV and while it was a good stopgap, it's never going to replace being in an actual theatre or concert venue with other people watching it live. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Letting them watch the movies at home for an extra $30 on top of a streaming service subscription is a ripoff.

It’s really not. Nobody is forcing people to buy it, the option being available is good for those who want it. Not me, but quite a few people in different life circumstances atm.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1

Also I realize these largely come from different sets of people, but it's very funny that the two main complaints about PA are "this costs too much, it's not worth it for people to spend $30 on" and "it's hurting box office too much because too many people think it's worth spending $30 on."  

These are, obviously, fundamentally incompatible and essentially opposite complaints, which suggests the truth is likely somewhere in the middle ($30 isn't a good deal for a lot of people but worth it for some, and it's hurting the BO a little but not hugely).

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

It’s really not. Nobody is forcing people to buy it, the option being available is good for those who want it. Not me, but quite a few people in different life circumstances atm.

So you would execuse if studios make any sort anti-consumer move, just because it's an option? I'd say charging people considerably higher than other studios to watch just a single movie at home is a ripoff.

Edit: I'll add, I also think those $20 PVOD 48-hr rentals are also ripoffs.

Edited by lorddemaxus

11 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

$30 isn't a ripoff as it was primarily made for families, 2 parents + 2 kids going to the movies will cost more than $30..and you must add the price for gas + pricey food in theaters...most families actually save money with PA and can rewatch the movie as much as they can while in theaters you pay for 1 view.

Considering the target it's a good price.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So you would execuse if studios make any sort anti-consumer move, just because it's an option? I'd say charging people considerably higher than other studios to watch just a single movie at home is a ripoff.

Edit: I'll add, I also think those $20 PVOD 48-hr rentals are also ripoffs.

Offering more options isn't anti-consumer, lmao. If PA cost literally $50, or $100, or $500, or $500,000 none of those would be "anti-consumer." They'd just be bad business, because people would decide not to make that transaction.

Disney literally gets every penny from the Premier Access and it will likely be VERY lucrative with this particular title and will count in this film's overall success.

$30 bucks to watch it as many times as you want is not a rip-off. 

Paying 20 dollars to watch a 48-hour rental on a movie is a rip-off. Universal does it, and its insufferable and Warner Bros did it until they recently changed (starting with Godzilla vs Kong) it to 24.99-29.99 early access digital ownership.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 3

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

Disney literally gets every penny from the Premier Access and it will likely be VERY lucrative with this particular title and will count in this film's overall success.

We can’t discuss it though cause they’ll never tell us how much it actually made. 

18 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

An entire family can watch BW multiple times for 40 bucks including the monthly subscription. 

Typically that would cost 60 to 120 bucks at the movies.

24 minutes ago, dudalb said:

No fan of Disney, but, God,these DIsney Is Evil posts are getting boring.

Vert good opening for BW. You can't expect the effects of Covid to wear off quite that quickly.

´´Only 85M OW and record break? OMG Disney is destroying theaters´´

It´s so absurd almost looks like trolling

8 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Offering more options isn't anti-consumer, lmao. If PA cost literally $50, or $100, or $500, or $500,000 none of those would be "anti-consumer." They'd just be bad business, because people would decide not to make that transaction.

The price-tag that comes with it is anti-consumer. It's a great way to keep increasing home video costs. I bet the rental prices for upcoming Disney releases will cost about the same when the come to VOD too.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

An entire family can watch BW multiple times for 40 bucks including the monthly subscription. 

Typically that would cost 60 to 120 bucks at the movies.

A cinemas also offers more to a movie than the home. 

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

We can’t discuss it though cause they’ll never tell us how much it actually made. 

If they did, then the conversation theoretically might be 

Spoiler

Disney made more money on Black Widow via Premier Access than they did in the box office opening weekend. That would legitimately TERRIFY theater owners and others. . .

I´m perfectly fine with the 45 days exclusive when things become good worldwide pandemic wise, theaters are the best and i´m always prefer to watch any movie in the big screen.

But 90% of the movies gross almost all their money in the first 5-6 weekends, 45 days are very fair. 90 days window is ridiculous now that consumption is extremely fast.

I never liked to wait 3-4 months to get a copy to watch in my home after i already paid to watch in theaters, in 2021 with streaming revolution this is even more absurd.

For the very leggy movies they can extend the exclusivity for 60-70 days, no big deal. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean you’re clearly speaking for yourself as numerous people have already stated why it works for them and their circumstances. 

I can see why a single person would think it’s too expensive but for a family it makes complete sense.

Also, Disney is smart, they get all the money and haven’t put themselves in a situation that AT&T put WB in now. WB is about to lose hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 6 months cause of the day/date on Max. Just for their next two releases they’ll probably lose a ton, Spacejam and TSS. 

• Like 5