Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

he price-tag that comes with it is anti-consumer. It's a great way to keep increasing home video costs. I bet the rental prices for upcoming Disney releases will cost about the same when the come to VOD too.

Exactly what do you think anti-consumer means? 

Edited by Lokis Legion

16 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

$30 isn't a ripoff as it was primarily made for families, 2 parents + 2 kids going to the movies will cost more than $30..and you must add the price for gas + pricey food in theaters...most families actually save money with PA and can rewatch the movie as much as they can while in theaters you pay for 1 view.

Considering the target it's a good price.

Or, speaking as a parent, my son can find something else to watch for free that doesn’t cost $30. :lol: 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It's a troubling precedent. If Disney drops the model come fall I'd happily change my tune, but it's hard to believe they're not shooting for an eventual end result where they've push out the theater middlemen more and more for the sake of reaping 100% of whatever profits are left. If it's better business for them, I guess that's their prerogative, but if the box office and moviegoing never fully recover that's a shame. Would be nice for theaters to regain some leverage.

9 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I mean you’re clearly speaking for yourself as numerous people have already stated why it works for them and their circumstances. 

I can see why a single person would think it’s too expensive but for a family it makes complete sense.

Also, Disney is smart, they get all the money and haven’t put themselves in a situation that AT&T put WB in now. WB is about to lose hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 6 months cause of the day/date on Max. Just for their next two releases they’ll probably lose a ton, Spacejam and TSS. 

It's cool that Disney is taking an option that might make them more money, but I'd say charging 30 extra dollars to watch a movie at home is a greedy move. And movies like Soul (probably their biggest streaming hit so far) didn't have a $30 price-tag to them. Also when people go to the cinemas, they are paying for the experience on top of the movie. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

On 7/8/2021 at 2:30 PM, AJG said:

4th post and the thread goes to hell.

I’ll see you guys on Monday.

I am used to silly pronouncments by people who know crap about the film business at this site.

The HBO Max day and date thing isn't available in all countries and now cinemas have reopened in many places, WB has stopped doing PVOD releases which they did do for things like Tom and Jerry, Mortal Kombat and Godzilla vs Kong in places where cinemas were closed. 

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Or, speaking as a parent, my son can find something else to watch for free that doesn’t cost $30. :lol: 

I think it a case that people are just not used to paying 30 bucks for a home PPV..movie. (Sporting events are another story). You can make all the arguments that 30 bucks is reasonable for a family of four and would cost leas then thate tickets, but that does not lessen the releuctance people have to pay that much for a standard movie PPV.

Just now, Jonwo said:

The HBO Max day and date thing isn't available in all countries and now cinemas have reopened in many places, WB has stopped doing PVOD releases which they did do for things like Tom and Jerry, Mortal Kombat and Godzilla vs Kong in places where cinemas were closed. 

SPeaking of WB, they had better get the marketing machine going for Suicide Squad, which opens in less then amonth. Not getting buzz at all . The need to pick it up, fast.

Just now, dudalb said:

I think it a case that people are just not used to paying 30 bucks for a home PPV..movie. (Sporting events are another story). You can make all the arguments that 30 bucks is reasonable for a family of four and would cost leas then thate tickets, but that does not lessen the releuctance people have to pay that much for a standard movie PPV.

I’ve reached the point in my life where I don’t need the immediate gratification. (And FWIW that’s also why I don’t do regular PPV for sports or anything else.) 

(tbf not having gone to a theater for a year and a half has solidified this for me, lol.) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

$30 isn't a ripoff as it was primarily made for families, 2 parents + 2 kids going to the movies will cost more than $30..and you must add the price for gas + pricey food in theaters...most families actually save money with PA and can rewatch the movie as much as they can while in theaters you pay for 1 view.

Considering the target it's a good price.

I disagree. I think therity bucks for a non special event PPV is a big mental barrier for many people.

And even the great and holy Disney corporation can make mistakes....

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's cool that Disney is taking an option that might make them more money, but I'd say charging $30 to watch a movie at home is a greedy move. And movies like Soul (probably their biggest streaming hit so far) didn't have a $30 price-tag to them.

I think they should of done PA with soul as well. 

I just don’t see how it’s greedy when you have options. If you wanna go to a theatre, go, if you wanna watch at home, then do that. As I said, I feel like the only people who should be frustrated right now are single people who may not have access to a theatre and don’t want to pay that $30 fee which makes sense. But I don’t know how Disney corrects that issue. I guess friends could split the cost for the PA rental fee and membership fee for a month. 

• Like 2

Just now, cax16 said:

I just don’t see how it’s greedy when you have options. If you wanna go to a theatre, go, if you wanna watch at home, then do that. As I said, I feel like the only people who should be frustrated right now are single people who may not have access to a theatre and don’t want to pay that $30 fee which makes sense. But I don’t know how Disney corrects that issue. I guess friends could split the cost for the PA rental fee and membership fee for a month. 

It is very strange that Pixar is getting treated badly compared to the other parts of Disney.

8 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Yes but that's off-topic in order to get your gotcha moment.

Personally I'm not paying for Black Widow, theaters or Premiere Access so I don't really care.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Problem with that is that many places still don’t have theatres open so taking away box office from domestic hurts the movies. I can’t say I’ll be shocked if TSS does BOP numbers WW. 

30 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I was talking about US. You can get 77CX for $2800. There was a sale at nearby store(Video Only) for $2200. Prices are falling every year. I expect it to be sub 2K in sale in next 2-3 years. 

Plus you dont buy it just for movies. Its great for live sports and great for gamers as well.

I'm just trying to justify not buying one to save me getting in trouble with the Mrs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Yes but that's off-topic in order to get your gotcha moment.

Personally I'm not paying for Black Widow, theaters or Premiere Access so I don't really care.

Why is it off-topic? I’m pointing out that the $30 cost is offputting enough to me that my family will avoid it no matter the movie, whatever the financial rationale by the distributor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Soul wouldn't have been anywhere near as big had it had a $30 paywall behind it. I think studios can give cheaper alternatives to consumers for an inferior experience. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Problem with that is that many places still don’t have theatres open so taking away box office from domestic hurts the movies. I can’t say I’ll be shocked if TSS does BOP numbers WW. 

I can see, given, that COvid is still aproblem in many areas, dooing a PPV release, what I question is if a 30 buck price tag is simply more then many people are willing to pay for a standard movie reelase. (Special events a  la "Hamilton" are a different story). I just think there is a sort of mental block for many people with that price.

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Why is it off-topic? I’m pointing out that the $30 cost is offputting enough to me that my family will avoid it no matter the movie, whatever the financial rationale by the distributor. 

I think it off putting for many people for a standard movie release. Special events are a different story.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Soul wouldn't have been anywhere near as big had it had a $30 paywall behind it. I think studios can give cheaper alternatives to consumers for an inferior experience. 

Sorry, I meant theatres and PA.