Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I can see, given, that COvid is still aproblem in many areas, dooing a PPV release, what I question is if a 30 buck price tag is simply more then many people are willing to pay for a standard movie reelase. (Special events a  la "Hamilton" are a different story). I just think there is a sort of mental block for many people with that price.

If you’re a regular movie goer like myself and my family then $30 is very reasonable for us, but I can’t tell anyone else what works for them and their budgets. 

• Like 4

Nobody fell in love with the movies not leaving the house. Let alone with all the distractions that watching it at home brings, without the discipline that theaters provide. 
Then of course you have the experience itself of watching something with an audience, and obviously the presentation is unparalleled. 

Why are some even on here understanding of what Disney are trying to do? They make absolutely ludicrous sums of money from consumers every year, but they need to be careful that by trying to get a bit more they’re not taking the magic out of the product. 

Central to that magic is movie theaters. The AMC’s and Regals that dare to take a cut from tickets to these movies are the ones that provide the experience for the pictures to shine. 
We’ve all got memories of Cap picking up Mjolnir to cheers. Of Hulk punching Thor and bringing the house down. Of the collective tears shed as Tony fulfilled his destiny. 

You think these movies would feel the same and mean as much to people if they exclusively watched them in their living rooms? 

Every time we watch these movies at home we are reminded of that first time we saw them with an audience on the big screen. Being part of that unrivalled communion. 

These Marvel movies, and Disney’s legacy back through the ages owe everything to the experience that cinema provides. 

I’m sorry, but spending a few bucks more to have your kid have an experience they’ll never forget has got to be worth it. 

Walt would be disgusted with some of the decisions they’ve made this year with distribution. From the disregard of the theaters that have helped make them the behemoth that they are, to the contempt for their own audience. 

I really hope this is the last we see of this premium access day and date model now. For the sheer good of the art of the movies, and why we all fell in love with them in the first place. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

If you’re a regular movie goer like myself and my family then $30 is very reasonable for us, but I can’t tell anyone else what works for them and their budgets. 

It hard to get people t pay more for something then they are used to. You can argue that 30 bucks ti a good deal for a family of four, but people will still have mental block about that much for a standard movie release, when all theyhave to is wait for a few months and it will come down.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I really can't get upset abut the PA issue. If Disney has overpriced itself, then people will not buy and Disney will have to lower the price. That's the way the market works.

sure, but to what end? So that they don’t go to the movies and then the business as we know it is over? And for what? 

The model wasn’t broken in the first place, and they’re seemingly trying to break it for a bit more money. Willing to tear the soul out of the whole thing. 

I think they should just be happy they now have a shortened window and leave it at that. Do what you like after a certain number of weeks, but let the ‘churches’ have the movies exclusively for a period. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So you would execuse if studios make any sort anti-consumer move, just because it's an option? I'd say charging people considerably higher than other studios to watch just a single movie at home is a ripoff.

Edit: I'll add, I also think those $20 PVOD 48-hr rentals are also ripoffs.

$30 for a 1st run movie is a bargain for families.  It's a huge bargain for family movies where the parents really don't care much for the movie and in the past are only going for their kids.

Why do I have the feeling most of those complaining about this do not have kids?

I only have one kid but I can think of 100s of times over the past 14 years where it would have been cheaper and more convenient to pay $30 to watch at home instead of going to a theater.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

$30 for a 1st run movie is a bargain for families.  It's a huge bargain for family movies where the parents really don't care much for the movie and in the past are only going for their kids.

Why do I have the feeling most of those complaining about this do not have kids?

I only have one kid but I can think of 100s of times over the past 14 years where it would have been cheaper and more convenient to pay $30 to watch at home instead of going to a theater.

Yes,

And also, some parents (myself included)probably really appreciate getting access to these movies at home cause they aren’t comfortable going to a theatre yet. I’ll be comfortable soon but I haven’t been the last six months. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

sure, but to what end? So that they don’t go to the movies and then the business as we know it is over? And for what? 

The model wasn’t broken in the first place, and they’re seemingly trying to break it for a bit more money. Willing to tear the soul out of the whole thing. 

I think they should just be happy they now have a shortened window and leave it at that. Do what you like after a certain number of weeks, but let the ‘churches’ have the movies exclusively for a period. 

But that´s already said to be their plan, why so much worry?

This is a business, business change. Few decades ago theaters have months of exclusivity, those windows are shortened, and still box office keep growing before the pandemic.

Movies are being released in lots of different ways since the pandemic, and still the theaters are starting to recovery as we speak.

Streaming isn´t here do kill theaters, they can co-exist and this is a fact, audiences are fine watching movies both at theaters and at home. When you consider that not a single studio are planning to make day and date beyond this next months, this become even more clear. The only thing that is surely changing for real is the shortened window, that happen before and didn´t break any business.

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But that´s already said to be their plan, why so much worry?

This is a business, business change. Few decades ago theaters have months of exclusivity, those windows are shortened, and still box office keep growing before the pandemic.

Movies are being released in lots of different ways since the pandemic, and still the theaters are starting to recovery as we speak.

Streaming isn´t here do kill theaters, they can co-exist and this is a fact, audiences are fine watching movies both at theaters and at home. When you consider that not a single studio are planning to make day and date beyond this next months, this become even more clear. The only thing that is surely changing for real is the shortened window, that happen before and didn´t break any business.

the worry is because I don’t believe them. 

Disney, and other studios, have had regimes throughout their history that have made moronic decisions.  I worry that if they go too far with this that it’ll be very difficult to undo. 

Look, I’ll be more than happy if Disney do shelve the PA after this summer. Or move it so it’s available a certain number of weeks after the initial release. They haven’t said that yet though. So I’ll believe it when I hear them say it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

My question is when are we expecting weekend threads to get back to prepandemic levels 😄

Papa Feige's already healing some of the wounds this weekend. Though a full recovery will be given to us by Papa Feige again in December (and also Keanu, keep your shirts on Matrix stans)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I don't see OLED prices affecting attendance at live sporting events, watching a live sporting event in person is very different to watching it on TV. 

I think watching a game live is a different experience from watching a movie. I definitely agree that value cannot be brought down irrespective of TV quality. I am not sure same applies for movies. Especially ones at crappy 2d screens projected at 2K with meh audio. I think premium screens like Imax or Dolby have value as well, but the ticket prices are ridiculous. Here in Bay Area its around $20 but in premium NYC screens ticket prices are approaching $30. Then consider as a family. Great TV with a good surround sound system has a value to watch movies, sports and gaming. 

i think folks who come to BOT still might be able to look beyond that but regular movie going audience are hit already even pre-COVID and now with PA, there is little incentive to go to a theater. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

Man, the Disney salt is really funny. Now that we’re here, there is very clearly some pandemic going on, so offering an option for people who can’t or don’t want to get to a theater is good — plus they”p’ve already announced they’re stopping on mid-Aug :hahaha:

I am a disney stock holder but no question all corporate companies are evil. They did not blink laying off works en masse last year While paying their leaders big money. There are better examples than Disney as a corporate entity. But when it comes to movie business there are no good guys. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/dec/02/walt-disney-layoffs-workers-struggle

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

specially ones at crappy 2d screens projected at 2K with meh audio.

When not on film, it tend to be non temporal compression 2K file (100gb to 300gb), something that I think is impossible to get anywhere else too.

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think watching a game live is a different experience from watching a movie. I definitely agree that value cannot be brought down irrespective of TV quality. I am not sure same applies for movies. Especially ones at crappy 2d screens projected at 2K with meh audio. I think premium screens like Imax or Dolby have value as well, but the ticket prices are ridiculous. Here in Bay Area its around $20 but in premium NYC screens ticket prices are approaching $30. Then consider as a family. Great TV with a good surround sound system has a value to watch movies, sports and gaming. 

i think folks who come to BOT still might be able to look beyond that but regular movie going audience are hit already even pre-COVID and now with PA, there is little incentive to go to a theater. 

The cinema experience needs to evolve and that means investing in better technology, better seating and better food offerings and TBF we've seen that happening in many places but it needs to work both way from both the studio and the chains themselves. 

IMAX and Dolby are premium products so it makes sense to charge extra and a family probably isn't going to go for IMAX or Dolby every single time but as an occasional treat, it's worth it.

I think all sectors will be trying to improve their offerings going forward, a restaurant that gives you great service and food is always going to trump home cooking and/or takeaway and consumers will try and make sure their night out is worth the money and more importantly time.  

5 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

Okay, let’s pull up the rest of the calendar and I’ll sketch out some quick (quick) hits.  

BW: 86/225

TSS (Aug 6): 50/125

Shang-Chi (Sep 3): 75/225

V2 (Sep 24): 70/175

NTTD (Oct 8): 80/220

Dune: (Oct 22): 40/110

Eternals (Nov 5): 95/275

Encanto  (Nov 24, 🦃 Wed): 40/60/160

NWH: 160/520

Matrix and Sing could also go 150+, but let’s just end there.

I’d like to throw my hat in the pool if I may cause I’ve been missing box office predictions:

BW: 85m/225m

TSS: 50m/120m

Shang-Chi: 65m/75m/185m

V2: 80m/200m

HTT: 40m/130m

NTTD: 80m/220m

HK: 55m/130m

Dune: 40m/100m

Eternals: 90m/275m

Top Gun: 45m/150m

Encanto: 45m/70m/200m

NWH: 145m/475m

Matrix 4: 45m/65m/300m (assuming HBO Max duel release doesn’t happen)

Sing 2: 25m/50m/175m

Small chance imho Space Jam and Snake Eyes overperform.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jiffy said:

If theater business ends up dying we can probably point to Disney as the vulture that picked apart its carcass first opportunity.

Disney is a large part of the reason that something similar to what they are doing now didn't happen 4 years ago. 

At least five of the major studios are pushing plans to get movies into homes earlier, but theater chains and studios are still far apart from agreeing on how it would happen.

Warner Bros. and Universal have been the most aggressive in pursuing an arrangement that would see certain movies receive a premium video-on-demand release within weeks of their theatrical premieres, but now other studios are joining the discussions. Twentieth Century Fox has also begun to talk early releases with theater owners, while Sony is having its own separate talks with exhibitors and is trying to devise its own plan.

Paramount, which previously did a pilot program with AMC and a few other exhibitors to release “Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse” and “Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension” on digital platforms early, has continued to seek a similar strategy. Though different studios are exploring different scenarios, the plan that has gathered the most steam would involve offering up movies for $50 a rental some 17 days after their theatrical opening. Those rentals would be available for 48 hours.

Source: https://variety.com/2017/film/news/vod-early-home-rentals-studios-theaters-1201994060/

Disney didn't kill the 90 day window, the pandemic and rise of streaming did; if you want a culprit pick either COVID or Netflix. 

• Like 8