Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

Since I seem to start this whole meltdown, I think the discussion went a bit off.

What I intended to say is that, ofc considering Disney+ PA and missing 5% market, $82M is what one can say is sort of expected. 82M isn't bad number is context.

But, we can't go forever with just context. If we don't want to repeat the same, 125M is good for Thor 4 considering its on Disney+ PA & If Disney want to maximise their returns from films, they need to let go of Disney PA. 

TBH, If I was a big producer, I will give my film a good 6 weeks window, and then PA/PVOD + Home Media (since people seems to be interested to give money for those) eventually free for all in time of 4-6 months of theatrical release.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Since I seem to start this whole meltdown, I think the discussion went a bit off.

What I intended to say is that, ofc considering Disney+ PA and missing 5% market, $82M is what one can say is sort of expected. 82M isn't bad number is context.

But, we can't go forever with just context. If we don't want to repeat the same, 125M is good for Thor 4 considering its on Disney+ PA & If Disney want to maximise their returns from films, they need to let go of Disney PA. 

TBH, If I was a big producer, I will give my film a good 6 weeks window, and then PA/PVOD + Home Media (since people seems to be interested to give money for those) eventually free for all in time of 4-6 months of theatrical release.

I agree

I am somewhat impressed Disney was willing to compromise their theatrical bragging rights for shrouded profits nobody will ever verifiably know about. Sad news for the Marvel fanboys, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

30 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maybe it would have been better for all concerned if Loki had been released three weeks earlier OR three weeks later.

BASICALLY.  

I think they could have co-existed in a perfect world.  And I think the TV Shows on Wednesday and Movies on Friday is good going forward.

The problem is Marvel Studios wants us to go back to 2013 where it's Natasha Mania.  Know what else was insane in 2013?

His fangirls are insane. And while things settled for a couple of years, due to the show, fandom basically:

i live disney GIF

I know the show hasn't been clicking with the folks at the TV Show Forum, but outside of BOT, it's POPPING.  It's been constantly trending since Wednesday.  There is so much fan art and fan engagements.  It has a 4.6 on Letterboxd.  4.6!  The next closest are WV, EG, IW, GOTG, and TR at 3.9.  That's bonkers.  And [SPOILERS!!!!!] My kingdom for the SPOILERS.  So it's just sucking up all the oxygen in the room.  And then next week is the finale, which depending on [SPOILERS] is gonna keep people high until Spider-Man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

I am somewhat impressed Disney was willing to compromise their theatrical bragging rights for shrouded profits nobody will ever verifiably know about. Sad news for the Marvel fanboys, though.

It doesn't just suck as a Marvel fan, it sucks as a box office follower. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Anyone else remember the days of longer release windows. Now people think it's awful when they have to wait around 3 months. Like I said, while it's not ideal, 45 days is a perfect compromise. 

Yeah, I remember when Matrix Revolutions came on DVD three months after release even that was seen as absurdly early and indicative of how much it under-performed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

It doesn't just suck as a Marvel fan, it sucks as a box office follower. 

Yeah it's pretty terrible all-around. I understand the value to families, but let's not pretend Disney's endgame is to save families the cost of shelling out for multiple tickets.

Edited by Jiffy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Yeah, I remember when Matrix Revolutions came on DVD three months after release even that was seen as absurdly early and indicative of how much it under-performed.

I remember as a kid wanting to rent The Santa Clause 2 after I watched it in theaters and had to wait like an entire year before it finally hit video. By the time it did finally come out I didn't really care to re-watch it anymore. 

5 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Disney is a large part of the reason that something similar to what they are doing now didn't happen 4 years ago. 

Source: https://variety.com/2017/film/news/vod-early-home-rentals-studios-theaters-1201994060/

Disney didn't kill the 90 day window, the pandemic and rise of streaming did; if you want a culprit pick either COVID or Netflix. 

That was before Disney got in the streaming game, though. COVID provided the opportunity, but they've taken the ball and run with it. You can probably make the case that same-day releases haven't been necessary since GvK demonstrated audiences were willing to come out again. Best we can hope is no additional plans for further same-day releases for fall and beyond are announced, but I won't hold my breath.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiffy said:

That was before Disney got in the streaming game, though. COVID provided the opportunity, but they've taken the ball and run with it. You can probably make the case that same-day releases haven't been necessary since GvK demonstrated audiences were willing to come out again. Best we can hope is no additional plans for further same-day releases for fall and beyond are announced, but I won't hold my breath.

Unless there's a big COVID spike, I truly believe Jungle Cruise will be the last Premier Access release. At the very least for bigger movies. Disney + is already creating their own movies like Hocus Pocus 2 and Disenchanted and I'm sure that will continue. Like I said in another comment, they need to continue focusing on exclusive content for both theaters and Disney + which is a win-win for everyone. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

All the studios did this though even the ones without streaming services (Sony, Universal pre-Peacock) and lesser known streaming services (Paramount pre-Paramount+) Just because Disney is the biggest doesn’t mean they are the sole culprit for the shift to streaming. In fact it’s pretty clear from the article in the last post I made that the studios have been wanting to cut out the middleman for years at this point and streaming (and the pandemic) gave them that opportunity.

For what it’s worth I also hope that the 45 day window and then on streaming becomes the norm and works well, in fact I made this club nearly 2 months ago about how I think 2022 will clean up at the Box Office:

As far as the talk of streaming not having staying power I’d say it partially lack of marketing and also the fact that as @Porthos pointed out and as I’ve been saying for a while episodic content works better for the medium, which is why if $200m movies aren’t bringing in the $$$ expect streaming TV to become the home of the big blockbusters (more stuff like Mando, GoT and the MCU shows)

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

I really doubt Loki had any appreciable affect in BW’s opening weekend one way or another. 

Agreed. I agree with Cap. This was always lower tier MCU. I did expect  90 even before Covid.

As far as im concerned its over performing

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Not necessarily here, but it blows my mind how eager some people are to see theaters fail and be put out of business for good.  An industry that has had a deep cultural impact for 100+ years around the world and employs thousands and thousands of people and pumps billions into local economies.  

All so people can sit home on their couch and give their $$ directly to streaming companies that employ a fraction of the people and money goes mostly to executives and shareholders.  

It makes me sad for the world to see how much way too many people want Wall-E to be the model of the future.  

This post brought to you by The Tomorrow War, starring Chris Pratt. Now streaming exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.

Spoiler

Sorry, I was subjected to this ad about 30 times today.