Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

Au67wJU.gif

(just kidding, it's a perfectly cromulent result, but the "not great not terrible" meme was too easy to pass up)

Everyone can just blame me, really.

Might turn out that I jinxed Black Widow's Sat number when I posted this gif. :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So pretty  probable now, for 2nd consecutive years, no hollywood production come at top of the worldwide box office. Last year hollywood didn't even have one among top 3. 2019 could be the last year of Hollywood reign. Thanks Netflix and covid for killing off a hundred year tradition.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not even concerned as much about US BO frankly. SMFFH did $300M plus in China, SEA, India and Chile Peru. Without Disney+ PA, BW would have targeted atleast $200M in AUG release. Now since the film is already being watched by bulk audience, it will struggle to do $100M in these if it release.

Theatrical window might not be that big a deal in rich countries but Hollywood will be writing off INT BO with day and date digital premieres. In fact even 17 days window isn't too hard a wait to affect box office in long run

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I have to log off for the afternoon, but I'll just say this....

Looking at the fall/winter 2021 and especially the 2022 release schedule can't help but make you giddy for the prospects of the box office going forward.  When it comes down to it, the studios will figure out that streaming subscriptions will not change one iota if the movie goes to theaters for 45 days first.  Disney will figure out the $30 on Disney+ also isn't worth the trade off in cultural impact that a theatrical release has.  

Theaters are going to exist going forward and they are going to thrive.  Exciting times are ahead.  

Why did I feel like this reading your post.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

So pretty  probable now, for 2nd consecutive years, no hollywood production come at top of the worldwide box office. Last year hollywood didn't even have one among top 3. 2019 could be the last year of Hollywood reign. Thanks Netflix and covid for killing off a hundred year tradition.   

Spider-man: No Way

Spoiler

who would have thought Sony having Spider-man will save Spider-man :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Bah gawd, it's really floppening.   

I tried pretty hard to treat the numbers in a positive light, but there's no way to spin that.

more like dissapointing , than a flop bc 

14 minutes ago, john2000 said:

more like dissapointing , than a flop bc 

Don’t engage.

It’s certainly setting a new bar, a pandemic record, for the rest of the films to beat. 

Just hope the estimate is above $80m, but I’d guess that’s in danger. 

Edited by Krissykins

anyway i cant say that i am not dissapointed bc i am but at the same time thats a great number if you have said to me 1,5month ago that black widow  a pa release , would have 80 mill ow , i wouldnt believe you, now i personally dont think that pvod stole 20-30 mill from it, but it affected it for sure .In any case we should at least be greatfull that the box office for the first time has a real continuesly recovery ( at least for movies that audiences want to see),and also its july dah it seems that july is the month of meltdowns for the mcu , remember spiderman homecoming and antman 2  , yes black widow will be close to antman 2 ww than homecoming, but still very decent for a premier access film