Jump to content
No Eternals Spoilers 4 Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It is anti-consumer when I realised i would never be able revisit Endgame in cinema. And small screen at the home in the only choice FOREVER.

 

Don't you forget streaming have forever exclusive window but cinema only have 45-60 days  

80m is not a disastrous number. If anything this weekend should prove that streaming and theaters can co-exist.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Wtf does Endgame have to do with Premiere Access???

Since when I mention Endgame have something to do with PAs??

 

 

Edited by titanic2187
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nerfy said:

80m is not a disastrous number. If anything this weekend should prove that streaming and theaters can co-exist.

Ya unfortunately because this is a box office forum - Most people are bias towards box office figures. While in reality, PA may actually be the difference for Disney in terms of Profit or Loss.

 

Maybe they will announce Shang Chi as hybrid release next. 😉

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Not Cool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Not necessarily here, but it blows my mind how eager some people are to see theaters fail and be put out of business for good.  An industry that has had a deep cultural impact for 100+ years around the world and employs thousands and thousands of people and pumps billions into local economies.  

 

All so people can sit home on their couch and give their $$ directly to streaming companies that employ a fraction of the people and money goes mostly to executives and shareholders.  

 

It makes me sad for the world to see how much way too many people want Wall-E to be the model of the future.  

 

8 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I mean, why go to a concert ever again?  You can just download or stream it on your nice home sound system and home theater and make yourself something to eat and drink a 12 pack of beer for the cost of 1 beer at the concert.  

 

Why go see a play or opera when you can get The Met online and sit on your sectional and pig out.  Why go to any sports game when you can watch it on ESPN and have a courtside seat in your living room?  

 

Why fly on a plane for thousands of dollars to see the Greek or Roman ruins in person when I can watch 4k drone video on a NatGeo documentary at home? 

 

The logic is just so stupid.  

For the record, and I know you probably don't think about me with this, I am not against theaters nor want them to shut down. I just think both can coexist and that some films have found value and popularity through streaming platforms.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm not calling this a flop. We're still getting over a pandemic with Spider-Man conceivably being the only movie to have a 100 million+ opening this year. I had been thinking it was going to make 70 million on its opening weekend, it looks like it might reach 80 million and overall with Premier Access, it's going to have two sources of income (with the very real potential that the Premier Access might very much be a higher total than it's opening weekend box office) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The OW seems good to me. It's been 2 years since Endgame with only 1 movie in-between. It's not like there has been constant buzz for the MCU like there was for the previous 10 years and this is a side character who's fate has already been decided. It seems like a gap filler prequel of the past when I believe most people are more excited for where the MCU story goes in the future. Obviously being out on Disney + wont help either.

 

I think pre-pandemic we were bless with a calender of must see movies from the infinity War-Endgame combo to Star wars but the slate of 2020 always looked quite dull after Endgame turned the box office into a black hole. I'm hoping something erupts the box office in the future, I'm looking at Avatar 2 in 17 months time but I would love for it to come sooner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this is fairly disappointing and PA is certainly having an effect. Yeah weak Sat bumps have been there this year but 23 would be something else. Its not the absolute number but the pattern of the OW that is showing the effect.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Ya unfortunately because this is a box office forum - Most people are bias towards box office figures. While in reality, PA may actually be the difference for Disney in terms of Profit or Loss.

 

Maybe they will announce Shang Chi as hybrid release next. 😉

Yes, I love hybrid release, so that I can pirate the movie more easily with perfect subtitle and share it in a  zoom meeting with my friends at ZERO cost, and claim it the movie is bad simply because the experience is different .

 

Right??

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Yes, I love hybrid release, so that I can pirate the movie more easily with perfect subtitle and share it in a  zoom meeting with my friends at ZERO cost, and claim it the movie is bad simply because the experience is different .

 

Right??

People who choose to stream something don't get the complain that the experience is different. (Btw seeing BW in IMAX theaters isn't going to save the 3rd act...)

 

Your perspective is from a box office and cinema fan, not a studio.

 

You think Disney doesn't know about pirates? I mean Mulan was the most pirated film in 2020 according to some reports. But why did they still announce for Raya, Cruella, BW, Jungle Cruise to go on PA?

There must be something ticking that we are not seeing, the PA numbers could be stronger than we know and is encouraging them to continue this strategy.

Edited by TigerPaw
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

People who choose to stream something don't get the complain that the experience is different. (Btw seeing BW in IMAX theaters isn't going to save the 3rd act...)

 

Your perspective is from a box office and cinema fan, not a studio.

 

You think Disney doesn't know about pirates? I mean Mulan was the most pirated film in 2020 according to some reports. But why did they still announce for Raya, Cruella, BW, Jungle Cruise to go on PA?

There must be something ticking that we are not seeing, the PA numbers could be stronger than we know and is encouraging them to continue this strategy.

Because we are still in pandemic. Since either way studio is losing, might as well use this opportunity to grab some share from Netflix.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid for PA, I’m not sure what’s so hard for some of you to grasp, some places don’t have theatres open, other places theatres are open and people aren’t comfortable going back so Disney is giving consumers options. I’m sure many people like myself appreciate it.
 

The number is good this weekend when you factor in circumstances but I’m not here to try and change anyone’s mind, I don’t care. Some of you sound like big babies though, theatres aren’t going anywhere cause people have options now. 

  • Like 10
  • Not Cool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Because we are still in pandemic. Since either way studio is losing, might as well use this opportunity to grab some share from Netflix.  

I genuinely don't think either way is losing.. the revenues PA is bringing may be really more substantial than we think.

 

If either way is losing, then Disney can just put these movies (BW, Mulan) onto D+ for free to subscribers (similar to Soul or Luca), i am sure the subscriber base will increase faster. A lot of people are pirating the film because they already paid for the subscription but find it tough to swallow another USD30 when Netflix doesn't require this for new titles.

 

What i am saying is that - Disney is not just looking at subscriber base but PA may be really generating some revenues for them.. especially for bigger titles - and who is to say they wouldn't continue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I paid for PA, I’m not sure what’s so hard for some of you to grasp, some places don’t have theatres open, other places theatres are open and people aren’t comfortable going back so Disney is giving consumers options. I’m sure many people like myself appreciate it.
 

The number is good this weekend when you factor in circumstances but I’m not here to try and change anyone’s mind, I don’t care. Some of you sound like big babies though, theatres aren’t going anywhere cause people have options now. 

This. Thank you.

 

Giving people a choice... yes.

 

Don't freaking blame PA and D+ for everything...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Think this will fall under 200m

Black Widow not only fell from cliff but took MCU with herself 😅

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Haha 1
  • Not Cool 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john2000 said:

cancel mcu, fire feige ......

Fire Alan Horn , Lord Feige still giving us DIsney+ shows

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Madhuvan said:

Fire Alan Horn , Lord Feige still giving us DIsney+ shows

while black widow ow is dissapointing , i think that the box office will turn out to be very fine in the end lets see, how it will hold

  • Not Cool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.